St Mirren v Dundee United. (19/03/22)

Geordie Saint

I was so gutted after the game yesterday, like many.of the fans. As a lot have said, it was a game of 2 halves.

1st half I have to say was some of the best football I have seen us play for a while. We were putting pressure on from the front. We were bossing the game. It was great tempo and we deserved to be on top at the half. Everyone was playing there role well. At one point the team was sitting really high up the park it looked like we had Joe and Dunne sitting back with Power sitting deeper in a 3. We were pressing high from the wings, which was great to seen.

2nd half they changed the players and shape, where we tried to keep doing the same, which didn't work. I'm not sure if it was them changing shape that stopped us dead or if it was in fact the players were f**ked as cannot play that tempo for a full 90 minutes?!

I'm not a happy clapper or trying to defend Robinson. He is to blame for not reacting quicker to their shape change, which was giving us nothing and his subs were weird. Greive off and Main still on was mental. Yeah I know that Greive is young and doesn't know how to conserve energy, but that's what makes him a good sub. He can go at it for the time he has. Main chased down nothing and was lazy.

I have to say that our team is incredibly unbalanced. We have 0 spark or creativity that can come on from the bench. We have f**k all players on the bench compared to other teams at times as well.

Could the player's we have not keep the tempo he wants for 90 minutes? It will be interesting how he shapes the team in the off season. At that point I will truly judge him as a manager. Until then he is doing what he can with someone elses squad.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

For me SR should have 2 games to save his job by somehow winning both and getting top 6 places. It won't happen both team wise and his job. 

So, you're asking for the manager to be sacked after a handful of games, and for not getting us into the top 6. that NO manager has ever achieved? :lol:

I did expect some reaction after yesterday, losing is bad enough, losing a goal in the 96th minute is sore, although I do recall us scoring an injury time winner only a short time ago? 

17 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

So, you're asking for the manager to be sacked after a handful of games, and for not getting us into the top 6. that NO manager has ever achieved? :lol:

I did expect some reaction after yesterday, losing is bad enough, losing a goal in the 96th minute is sore, although I do recall us scoring an injury time winner only a short time ago? 

Erm yes I am. We have a team capable of top 6, we have staff at the club who know how effective the team can be but we now have a manager and assistant who certainly seem hell bent on ignoring any of it. I know what you were getting at by our result against Dundee but we were as rancid as they were on the night.

Worryingly now JG got his first win yesterday and no doubt start to drive confidence through them. Also Davidson got a win with the fakes too and he is known for getting it right at this point of season, last one for example where they caught us and passed us.

34 minutes ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

Erm yes I am. We have a team capable of top 6, we have staff at the club who know how effective the team can be but we now have a manager and assistant who certainly seem hell bent on ignoring any of it. I know what you were getting at by our result against Dundee but we were as rancid as they were on the night.

THIS is pure speculation, along with some hope, but nothing more.

I would suggest that you have not factored in the considerable cost to fire a manager after 5 minutes in the job, erm, that'll be a no? 

Aye, when Goodwin started he was, rightly, given considerable time to try to show what type of manager he was, signing his own players and doing as best he could with a club who are a "yo-yo" club.

Edited by faraway saint

4 minutes ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

Worryingly now JG got his first win yesterday and no doubt start to drive confidence through them. Also Davidson got a win with the fakes too and he is known for getting it right at this point of season, last one for example where they caught us and passed us.

Just as well its sunny...you can hang up your knickers outside to dry in no time

18 hours ago, bigjerseybuddie said:

Any manager who persists with Main, even on the bench, needs his head examined. 
The guy should have been shifted long ago, contract or not. Players like him cost us points every week and we will end up relegated and lose money anyway.

Robinson stubbornness is making Goodwin look like Mr Maliable. 

It was Goodwin that signed the hopeless prick and the other Diddy Erwin 

1 hour ago, lenziebud said:

You'll be happy if we get 3rd in the league and 2 cup finals?

I will only be very happy if we finish third in the League and have two winning Cup Finals.

Also, our Colts to triumph in the Challenge Cup.

And St Mirren Ladies to win a match. ( maybe later today versus Gleniffer Thistle )

COME ON THE SAINTS

18 hours ago, bazil85 said:

I get being frustrated after this result today and wanting to argue as a release, I really do but my view is, seasons over. We were going for top 6, we were in a great place to deliver it & we bottled it. 

Yes we can make the most of remaong games but they’re more or less dead rubber. 

As for your Kibble comment… I don’t see it as us vs them. Pro Kibble (regarding their involvement with the club) & pro St Mirren are one in the same. 

You mean just like we did last year under Goodwin when we were in a even better position... the truth is this team has always looked like falling way short of a top 6 place this season with the strikers we've had at our disposal 

As for Robinson the jury is out for sure after yesterday's performance .. but this is Jim Goodwin's team,,  next season it's Robinson's we need to give him a chance.. saying that I wasn't overly excited by the appointment either. he wouldn't have been my choice 

2 minutes ago, bigjerseybuddie said:

You are quite correct but It’s Robinson who has continued with the nonsense of having Main any where near the first team squad

Think we all agree he's worse than a man short but Goodwin persevered with him too probably hoping he could justify why he signed him just like he did with Erwin.. instead of just putting his hands up and say wit the F%%k have i done 

7 hours ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

For me SR should have 2 games to save his job by somehow winning both and getting top 6 places. It won't happen both team wise and his job. 

Might get a result against Motherwell but absolutely no chance against Rangers with the team the way it is.

My honest prediction is and it really kills me to do it but we will be in relegation playoff with SR in charge, he has ripped the confidence out of the team. 

There is a stark contrast in fortunes of 2 clubs that changed manager at about the same time. Us and down here, carlisle. They have a previous manager in charge now and have won 5 out of 6, getting the best out of an ex saints striker. Might get slated for it being a poorer league, etc but their confidence was shot to bits prior whereas we have a manager that has done opposite.

If anyone gets chance there is a huge difference in the Paul Simpson interviews on their YouTube channel and what Stephen Robinson comes out with. One openly blames players and others doesn't, who do you think gets the best out what he has.

Don’t agree. Still in the mix. Looking to get more points than last season and give him the summer. Too often the players don’t have the legs for 90 minutes. Can’t see that SR has had a chance to change that. Has fitness declined since Junior left after the Ayr game. There are times to call a spade the proverbial and he judges this to be one of those. Players who want to play for him will and those who don’t won’t. Always too the Spectre of JG coming in for players as did JR. Alnwick and Ronan mentioned. Not good by Jim to comment, much as I admire him.

Edited by Rascal

This was a very strange game. First half, we were unplayable, second half we were chronic. Whilst it is relatively easy to point the finger at Robinson, he can only piss with the cock he has. Our squad is very imbalanced. We have a pretty good midfield , with some real quality. The defence is passable, but does tend to switch off sometimes. Up front?  Brophy looks decent, but, in my opinion, I think needs a partner.  Grieve looks exciting, and seem to know where the goal is. 

Main, isn’t even good enough to get injured or sent off. He’s always available for selection. When he plays, we’re effectively a man short. 

This is the legacy Goodwin has left us. He could set us up to not get beat, but he was never the messiah. I won’t deride what Goodwin did for the club, but what Robinson has inherited is a hard act to follow. The club has been shocked with Godwin’s departure. Robinson has to win over the players and supporters. He needs time and a transfer window, Main needs freed.

Yesterday was our big chance and we blew it simple as that, albeit I don’t think we have performed consistently enough during the season to warrant a top six spot. Our purple patch at start of the year got us the chance but we seem to have reverted back to our old selves unfortunately - second half United changed shape and started hitting balls down the channels, Watt was also good at pulling out wide and linking up with midfield runners. We couldn’t cope and Power and Gogic were chasing shadows …………. with the players we have 4-2-3-1 seems to be our best formation. SR should stick with that, bring McCarthy back into centre back and get shot of Curtis Main.  Those two changes alone will make a difference.

Tightest 4-10 in years. All to play for in terms of the top 6 or top 4 says the BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60570324

Re Main. More than one manager has thought that he can play a bit. JG was not alone and SR was, I think his manager at Motherwell although I could be wrong. He wasn’t getting a starting place under JG and isn’t under SR. My guess is that he would be a hit in the Scottish Championship level.

Edited by Rascal