Ukraine v Russia Has Kicked Off

shull

6 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Just 10 days too late , just enough time to shift some of his not inconsiderable fortune . Convenient eh ? 

I tend to agree… late….should have been done earlier as he is so high profile.

29 minutes ago, renfrew156 said:

Seeing 70 civillian bodies dumped in a mass grave in Mariupol  in bodybags is horrifying. is this heading to genocide?

This Z symbol russians are using is this their swastika?

Would this precipitate Mutually Assured Destruction if the west intervened?

Valid questions. Genocidal- yes. Z symbol - various theories put forward but none confirmed. MAD …Have to hope not. 

Watching the BBC news this morning really has been very thought provoking and sad.

They talked to a reporter who had been in Russia in December who said that the notion of invading Ukraine was dismissed and nothing more than Putin flexing his muscles, no one thought it was a possibility, never mind a realistic proposition.

No easy answers as far as I can see, the sanctions are almost at the maximum and Putin, simply, does not give one feck.

The brave Ukrainians will continue to fight and the country, and it's infrastructure, is slowly getting dismantled day by day.

After the last two years, when many people have suffered loss and incredible changes to day to day life, this situation is the last thing the world needs.

Impossible for any of us to imagine what the Ukrainian people are going through but the response from the majority of countries in the world certainly shows they have support. 

Tragic. 

8 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Watching the BBC news this morning really has been very thought provoking and sad.

They talked to a reporter who had been in Russia in December who said that the notion of invading Ukraine was dismissed and nothing more than Putin flexing his muscles, no one thought it was a possibility, never mind a realistic proposition.

No easy answers as far as I can see, the sanctions are almost at the maximum and Putin, simply, does not give one feck.

The brave Ukrainians will continue to fight and the country, and it's infrastructure, is slowly getting dismantled day by day.

After the last two years, when many people have suffered loss and incredible changes to day to day life, this situation is the last thing the world needs.

Impossible for any of us to imagine what the Ukrainian people are going through but the response from the majority of countries in the world certainly shows they have support. 

Tragic. 

Your closest yet to an accurate and sensible post. I have worked in Russia several times. In Moscow and St Petersburg. Young people are very western orientated. Not surprisingly some of the older age groups yearned   For Russia as per the Soviet Period. I have also worked in Ukraine a number of times. Kiev, Dnipro and Z the city with the largest nuclear plant in Europe. Very similar characteristics amongst the different age groups with splits between young and old in attitudes. Russian is spoken by most Ukrainians in the same way as most Scots speak English. One of the first things that colonial conquerors do is to insist that their language and culture is insisted upon. I still keep in touch with people in the cities I visited through social media. They have been conspicuous by their absence. As FS says, I paraphrase, no easy answers.

On 3/10/2022 at 9:54 PM, Rascal said:

Valid questions. Genocidal- yes. Z symbol - various theories put forward but none confirmed. MAD …Have to hope not. 

A lot of the pre-conditions necessary for a genocide are in place. It's very worrying 

45 minutes ago, eastlandssaint said:

I can recall some limited civil defence drills back in the late 50’s or early 60’s. Insufficient doesn’t come close to describing it. Meanwhile, in Ukraine the plight of people is just plain terrible in a conventional war.

Watching question time last night was uncomfortable.  Ukraine MP who was returning to her country today asking why we couldn't help more with no fly zone and further action and constant answer was your so brave but we can't risk WW3.  The fear factor of nukes surely shows it's time for the world to disarm them. 

15 minutes ago, exiledfan said:

Watching question time last night was uncomfortable.  Ukraine MP who was returning to her country today asking why we couldn't help more with no fly zone and further action and constant answer was your so brave but we can't risk WW3.  The fear factor of nukes surely shows it's time for the world to disarm them. 

If there were no nuclear weapons would that encourage more wars using non nuclear weapons?