Ukraine v Russia Has Kicked Off

shull

On 3/30/2022 at 6:16 AM, faraway saint said:

The personal stories coming out of Ukraine are truly heartbreaking.

We, thankfully, couldn't come close to imagining the hell the nation are suffering.

Tragic and very very sad. 

I found another post that I agree with. It’s easy for this conflict to fall down our news agenda and things like the cost of living dominate our thoughts but people are being displaced , suffering extreme hardship, injury and death in a European country. Immeasurably sad.

1 minute ago, Rascal said:

I found another post that I agree with. It’s easy for this conflict to fall down our news agenda and things like the cost of living dominate our thoughts but people are being displaced , suffering extreme hardship, injury and death in a European country. Immeasurably sad.

I agree that the war in Ukraine and the consequences of this despots determination to run roughshod over an independent state is heartbreaking, but we cannot allow this to mask the hardships this tory government are deliberately inflicting on people in these countries. Make no mistake. People will die because of the policies they are implementing. This government had a choice of either protecting the most vulnerable in our society or ensuring their cronies kept vast amounts of profit that they were making off the back of ordinary people's suffering. They consciously chose the latter. A truly horrific thing to do. Both stories need to be told.

1 minute ago, stlucifer said:

I agree that the war in Ukraine and the consequences of this despots determination to run roughshod over an independent state is heartbreaking, but we cannot allow this to mask the hardships this tory government are deliberately inflicting on people in these countries. Make no mistake. People will die because of the policies they are implementing. This government had a choice of either protecting the most vulnerable in our society or ensuring their cronies kept vast amounts of profit that they were making off the back of ordinary people's suffering. They consciously chose the latter. A truly horrific thing to do. Both stories need to be told.

No dissent on that from me. 

And so it continues. Sanctions strengthened but weaning EU nations off Russian Oil and Gas won’t be easy, will take time and meanwhile Russia can regroup and attack more strongly in the East and South. There is a Ukrainian Political Party which favours a Soviet Style Union from Lisbon to Vladivostok. Gets around 4% max of the votes. Aligned to the party headed by Putin. Unless they have the weapons they need then this is only going one way for the east and south of Ukraine and it’s not good as people continue to suffer and die or are displaced.

Ialso see that Ukraine has cancelled a proposed visit by the German President-a known pro-Russia figure who wants closer economic ties with Moscow. they would rather see the new Chancellor as he has power to start providing weapons and military support to Ukraine

It seems that a younger generation of leader is turning the accepted norms of diplomacy on their heads and taking a more pragmatic stance with bullies like Putin and back-markers like Germany.  Too many old men in power across the globe now and one look at the current state of many countries tell how bad their failures have been.

Things are still terrible for the people in Ukraine as big brother Russia continues to bully and attack its smaller neighbour. Needless death and destruction for Ukraine and a needless sacrifice of people on both sides of the conflict.