Scotland V Ukraine, how do we show our support?

beyond our ken

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/scotland-v-ukraine-world-cup-play-off-in-doubt-after-russian-invasion-3584070

Football and politics come together and apart from the impending move of the Champions League final, the staging our tie v Ukraine is now almost certainly off.  How should we as a nation and football fans respond.  It would be a crying shame for the Ukrainians to be simply airbrushed away.  Should we consider a match against a "Ukraine 11 " comprising exiled current and former Ukrainian players, or even those still in the country willing to travel, as a way of keeping awareness going and raising funds for refugee support?  Perhaps we could erase the spectre of the match that never was by turning up and symbolically kicking off?  FIFA don't like political gestures, but this is a matter of humanitarian support and a declaration for peace.  

8 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/scotland-v-ukraine-world-cup-play-off-in-doubt-after-russian-invasion-3584070

Football and politics come together and apart from the impending move of the Champions League final, the staging our tie v Ukraine is now almost certainly off.  How should we as a nation and football fans respond.  It would be a crying shame for the Ukrainians to be simply airbrushed away.  Should we consider a match against a "Ukraine 11 " comprising exiled current and former Ukrainian players, or even those still in the country willing to travel, as a way of keeping awareness going and raising funds for refugee support?  Perhaps we could erase the spectre of the match that never was by turning up and symbolically kicking off?  FIFA don't like political gestures, but this is a matter of humanitarian support and a declaration for peace.  

This is only my opinion.

The match will not be off.  Instead Ukraine will unfortunately and understandably be unable to field a team.  Very, very sad.

Ukraine will be replaced with the next team who narrowly missed out on qualification (is that Finland?).

A precedence does exist, if you cast your mind back to the early 1990's Yugoslavia could (of course) not compete at the Euro's and were replaced by Denmark.  How did that turn out for Denmark again?

Again, it is only my opinion but I think that is what will happen.  

You pose a good question though, how can we show our support?  I really don't know.  I have a number of thoughts as to what our (western) governments could and should have done/do but we as football fans?  I don't know.

10 hours ago, TediousTom said:

This is only my opinion.

The match will not be off.  Instead Ukraine will unfortunately and understandably be unable to field a team.  Very, very sad.

Ukraine will be replaced with the next team who narrowly missed out on qualification (is that Finland?).

A precedence does exist, if you cast your mind back to the early 1990's Yugoslavia could (of course) not compete at the Euro's and were replaced by Denmark.  How did that turn out for Denmark again?

Again, it is only my opinion but I think that is what will happen.  

You pose a good question though, how can we show our support?  I really don't know.  I have a number of thoughts as to what our (western) governments could and should have done/do but we as football fans?  I don't know.

Not sure Yugoslavia is really a precedent Tom. That was a civil war.

Ukraine has been invaded against it’s will. That’s not really the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...