Sir Alex

Listening to the reports from Pitoddrie.

Sir Alex Ferguson in attendance. Capacity crowd.

Statue to their best manager being unveiled.

What a great occasion.

Question.

WHY can't it be us?

Yes... I know.

We sacked him.

He took us to an industrial tribunal.

He lost his case.

He severed all ties and was bitter towards us

But...

Most fans who lived through his short tenure still consider him our best ever manager and themselves blessed.

Saints say they are "fan owned" now.

Sir Alex is a fans favourite.

When we left Love Street, my friend Michael wrote to Sir Alex who not only replied, but agreed to an interview for our book "Love Street, The Final Chapter".

One of my contributions to the book was an interview with my hero and childhood Roy of the Rovers, Tony Fitzpatrick.

The book was about Love Street so much of what Tony said was edited out. A lot of that was adulation of Sir Alex Ferguson, whom Fitzy regarded as years ahead of his time in creating a community club.

I wrote to Sir Alex and sent him a copy of the unedited interview. I wanted him to know how much his influence at Saints lived on.

To my astonishment, two weeks later, I received a reply on Man Utd headed paper.

A two page personal response, written between two very important European ties.

That is the measure of the man! In the eyes of many Saints fans, he is truly a legend. Hero. God.

So... As a fan owned club, can we apologise for how things ended. Thank him for bringing us back from the dead. Praise him for giving birth to the best footballing team I have ever supported.

Most of all... Offer the olive branch and mark his place in our history whilst he can attend.

A posthumous tribute is the alternative. How bitter sweet, ironic and hypocritical would that be?

Let's honour Sir Alex now!

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

What a great occasion.

Question.

WHY can't it be us?

Yes... I know.

We sacked him.

He lost his case.

But...

Most fans who lived through his short tenure still consider him our best ever manager and themselves blessed.

When we left Love Street, my friend Michael wrote to Sir Alex who not only replied, but agreed to an interview for our book "Love Street, The Final Chapter".

One of my contributions to the book was an interview with my hero and childhood Roy of the Rovers, Tony Fitzpatrick.

The book was about Love Street so much of what Tony said was edited out. A lot of that was adulation of Sir Alex Ferguson, whom Fitzy regarded as years ahead of his time in creating a community club.

I wrote to Sir Alex and sent him a copy of the unedited interview. I wanted him to know how much his influence at Saints lived on.

To my astonishment, two weeks later, I received a reply on Man Utd headed paper.

That is the measure of the man! In the eyes of many Saints fans, he is truly a legend. Hero. God.

So... As a fan owned club, can we apologise for how things ended. Thank him for bringing us back from the dead. Praise him for giving birth to the best footballing team I have ever supported.

Most of all... Offer the olive branch and mark his place in our history whilst he can attend.

A posthumous tribute is the alternative. How bitter sweet, ironic and hypocritical would that be?

You want me to thank the man who tried to sue us while he knew it was himself in the wrong. 

I will when he say sorry but not before. 

You want me to thank the man who tried to sue us while he knew it was himself in the wrong. 
I will when he say sorry but not before. 
No surprise to see you being the first protester.
Time to let it go.

I agree... Fergie was in the wrong when he worked his ticket... Still does not detract from his achievements at Saints.

If your playing that game, then no surprise to see your the 1 to lick his arse first.
Time to let it go  [emoji23]   tell Fergie that.
Have never said anything bad about his achievement at the club. 
Bye.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Bye indeed.
Feel free to attend the celebration if it happens.
It will do you good. [emoji12]

On 2/26/2022 at 2:57 PM, BuddieinEK said:

What a great occasion.

Question.

WHY can't it be us?

Yes... I know.

We sacked him.

He lost his case.

But...

Absolutely. Is he even in our hall of fame? 

40 minutes ago, norrie82 said:

Absolutely. Is he even in our hall of fame? 

I stand open to correction and know that some will check but I think not. He should be. Board members apart and with due deference to the cup and our other First Division Winning Managers he fundamentally changed the outlook of the club in the eyes of the local population. Imo of course.

Why, the man want's nothing to do with yous. We are a mere distant memory. 
I beg to differ.
He wanted nothing to do with the club.

When Michael explained that although it was an official club publication, it was being done by fans and for fans... who cherish memories he gave us, he was happy to become involved.

Same when he took the time to reply to my letter. Far from formal, he was talking about ex players and even his own family.

Perhaps you meant something else when saying he wants nothing to do with "yous"?

He has been away from Aberdeen for some time now!

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji12]

22 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

I beg to differ.
He wanted nothing to do with the club.

When Michael explained that although it was an official club publication, it was being done by fans and for fans... who cherish memories he gave us, he was happy to become involved.

Same when he took the time to reply to my letter. Far from formal, he was talking about ex players and even his own family.

Perhaps you meant something else when saying he wants nothing to do with "yous"?

He has been away from Aberdeen for some time now!

emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji12.png

Typo, should have been obviously "us" , as in club. 

9 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Correct. What did Alex Ferguson ever do for St Mirren.

All about opinions. Without him at the club it is likely that my sons and myself might not have been attracted to the club. Same went for a number of my son’s friends who are now, like us, life long fans with a new generation following through. Of course it works both ways and Alex got a platform to build his career upon. 

10 minutes ago, Rascal said:

All about opinions. Without him at the club it is likely that my sons and myself might not have been attracted to the club. Same went for a number of my son’s friends who are now, like us, life long fans with a new generation following through. Of course it works both ways and Alex got a platform to build his career upon. 

So it was the attraction of the man rather than the club that drew you. :unsure:.

I enjoyed the football under Ferguson and some might still have an affiliation with him, but I don't think for a moment he has with our club.

24 minutes ago, Rascal said:

He's right off my Christmas card list now. :byebye

24 minutes ago, pod said:

So it was the attraction of the man rather than the club that drew you. :unsure:.

I enjoyed the football under Ferguson and some might still have an affiliation with him, but I don't think for a moment he has with our club.

A mix Pod. I didn’t want anything to do with the OF and living in Houston the choices were Saints or Morton. I also employed one of the St Mirren players so that helped too. Never regretted it but did regret him going the way he did. Both ways. Having said that I think we had some very good managers after him.

Edited by Rascal

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Who did you support before Ferguson became your here? 

Ferguson wasn’t and isn’t my hero. I forgive your typo.. I played Rugby and took part in Athletics as a youngster. Didn’t have much interest in football until my sons came along although when I stayed in Dundee / The Ferry I would go to watch Dundee United and when in Ayr and Prestwick I went to watch Ayr United. Happy now?

Edited by Rascal

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

Just because you "pay" doesn't mean you know about football, as I said, very evident in your nonsensical drivel. :byebye

Who said I didn’t. Played enough despite what I said earlier to be offered a trial by Jock Stein when he was with Dunfermline as I had made up the numbers in some local junior games. I turned it down but also turned down the chance to play seniorrugby with Dunfermline who were a top team at the time. No regrets

1 minute ago, Rascal said:

Who said I didn’t. Played enough despite what I said earlier to be offered a trial by Jock Stein when he was with Dunfermline as I had made up the numbers in some local junior games. I turned it down but also turned down the chance to play seniorrugby with Dunfermline who were a top team at the time. No regrets

Oh my........................a whopper even by your made up pish.

How are you managing to watch tonight's game by the way? 

The Untold Truth Of Pinocchio