Sir Alex

Listening to the reports from Pitoddrie.

Sir Alex Ferguson in attendance. Capacity crowd.

Statue to their best manager being unveiled.

What a great occasion.

Question.

WHY can't it be us?

Yes... I know.

We sacked him.
He took us to an industrial tribunal.
He lost his case.
He severed all ties and was bitter towards us

But...

Most fans who lived through his short tenure still consider him our best ever manager and themselves blessed.

Saints say they are "fan owned" now.

Sir Alex is a fans favourite.

When we left Love Street, my friend Michael wrote to Sir Alex who not only replied, but agreed to an interview for our book "Love Street, The Final Chapter".

One of my contributions to the book was an interview with my hero and childhood Roy of the Rovers, Tony Fitzpatrick.

The book was about Love Street so much of what Tony said was edited out. A lot of that was adulation of Sir Alex Ferguson, whom Fitzy regarded as years ahead of his time in creating a community club.

I wrote to Sir Alex and sent him a copy of the unedited interview. I wanted him to know how much his influence at Saints lived on.

To my astonishment, two weeks later, I received a reply on Man Utd headed paper.

A two page personal response, written between two very important European ties.

That is the measure of the man! In the eyes of many Saints fans, he is truly a legend. Hero. God.

So... As a fan owned club, can we apologise for how things ended. Thank him for bringing us back from the dead. Praise him for giving birth to the best footballing team I have ever supported.

Most of all... Offer the olive branch and mark his place in our history whilst he can attend.

A posthumous tribute is the alternative. How bitter sweet, ironic and hypocritical would that be?

Let's honour Sir Alex now!

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Probably the best post I have read on here. Fergie became bigger than the club and Willie Todd shafted him.

Fergie’s impact on our club was phenomenal and the board didn’t match his ambition.

We owe Fergie!

20 minutes ago, Hagleybuddies said:

Probably the best post I have read on here. Fergie became bigger than the club and Willie Todd shafted him.

Fergie’s impact on our club was phenomenal and the board didn’t match his ambition.

We owe Fergie!

I’m in

2 hours ago, Hagleybuddies said:

We owe Fergie!

There’s a possibility there wouldn’t be a St Mirren if it wasn’t for Fergie as we were on the road to nowhere before he came in

13 hours ago, Hagleybuddies said:

We owe Fergie!

Club or supporters.   If we erected a statue outside club, I don't believe Fergie would turn up.  

th?id=OIP.S67uqpaMbSi4UplA3YD_QwHaF8&w=200&h=160&rs=1&qlt=80&o=6&dpr=2&pid=3.1

On 3/3/2022 at 12:04 PM, pod said:

Club or supporters.   If we erected a statue outside club, I don't believe Fergie would turn up.  

th?id=OIP.S67uqpaMbSi4UplA3YD_QwHaF8&w=200&h=160&rs=1&qlt=80&o=6&dpr=2&pid=3.1

Never say never!

Two extracts from the letter I received from Sir Alex Ferguson.

He did NOT rule out a return to St Mirren.

He values and respects the supporters.

If we WANT to make this happen, we CAN.

I believe we SHOULD! 

PhotoCollage_20220306_183230369__01__01.jpg

1 hour ago, BuddieinEK said:

Never say never!

I believe we SHOULD! 

Thanks for sharing BEK

Works for me! We should do it.

12 hours ago, Scott-Leeds said:

I don’t think he merits an honour from us.

Others have won the ‘second division/championship’ got to semi finals / finals , won cups etc.

Thanks for your efforts at the time however

Correct. He never won a major honour with us, so he's not a club legend and should not be honoured. Would rather honour Danny Lennon!

17 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

Never say never!

I believe we SHOULD! 

It was good that he did answers your questions and did help in a small way toward the book that you and other did. 

I do remember him always praising Tony for being a excellent player and captain for us.

I remember when Tony coaching company won an award for investing in people, and he came up to Paisley for the award.

I don't recall him ever helping Tony when he was our manager and struggling, but since that would have also help the club and that is something he will never do. 

Anyway, hope he enjoyed the game last night as much as i did  :rolleyes:

If I had to honour any manager, it would be Jim Clunie for taking us into Europe for the first time after finishing third in league. 
Can only imagine what his reply would have been [emoji2959][emoji1787]

Just looked him up and either I've forgotten or never knew. He was the 1st player to be substituted in a Scottish match. With Archie Gemmell replacing him. That I did know.

6 hours ago, Rascal said:

Why not both?

Might aswell get a statue for Tom Hendrie, Gus MacPherson and Jack Ross up too while we're at it, they also all won the second tier as St Mirren managers. Won't be much parking space left though :D

2 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Might aswell get a statue for Tom Hendrie, Gus MacPherson and Jack Ross up too while we're at it, they also all won the second tier as St Mirren managers. Won't be much parking space left though :D

Let's not stop there, cup winning goalscorers, ball boy of the season, could be never ending. :wink:

20 minutes ago, TopCat said:

I wasn’t thinking statues and I don’t think that BEK was either. 

22 minutes ago, Rascal said:

Well it makes getting most likes a bit easier. That and opening multiple threads. But….be kind to the lad 

Toxic Titch from Arbroath needs to be the most liked to boost his in the gutter ego due to his wee man's syndrome. He despised Shull having more likes,  therefore he cried to Div to get Shull banned. Shull got banned and Div put Shull's Like count back to zero.

21 minutes ago, Sidmirren said:

Toxic Titch from Arbroath needs to be the most liked to boost his in the gutter ego due to his wee man's syndrome. He despised Shull having more likes,  therefore he cried to Div to get Shull banned. Shull got banned and Div put Shull's Like count back to zero.

^^^^^ TYpical simpleton behaviour, blaming everyone else.  :lol: