P&O

faraway saint

A P&O ferry has been grounded in N Ireland amid safety concerns.

No surprise, rushing through inexperienced staff, a disaster waiting to happen. 

A P&O Ferries ship is being held in Northern Ireland because it is "unfit to sail", the transport secretary says.

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency confirmed the European Causeway had been held in Larne.

The MCA said there were "failures on crew familiarisation, vessel documentation and crew training". P&O Ferries sacked 800 staff without notice eight days ago.

On 3/25/2022 at 8:20 AM, Cookie Monster said:

Regarding the £5/hour, was that not the average?

ETA

£5.50/hour Average for crew members.

BBC News - P&O Ferries: Not consulting on job cuts broke law, boss admits
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60862933

Yes, that was indeed the Average.  Union guy on Question time the other night confirmed that some workers are getting £1.81 an hour .

Tory c**t sat next to him squirmed like a lying deceitful piece of shit .

Welcome to post Brexit Tory run Britain people . 

It’s probably just as well there aren’t many chimneys left , these cunts would be sending kids up there and claiming them as part of the “employment boom”  [emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]
Shit, are you not allowed to do that anymore? I better get the wee rascal out of there. :whistle

I wouldn't be traveling on any of these ferries for the foreseeable...................

One of the maritime agencies recruiting workers for P&O Ferries is advertising for crew members, saying no previous experience at sea required.

Union officials warn that P&O Ferries could be jeopardising safety after dismissing 800 crew members and replacing them with workers paid less than the minimum wage. One of the firm’s vessels has been detained at Larne in Northern Ireland for being “unfit to sail” because of concerns over training.

One of the companies recruiting for P&O Ferries, CSM Baltics – part of Columbia Shipmanagement, one of the world’s largest ship managers – has posted an ad on Facebook saying: “We are looking for a large number of stewards to work 12 hours day on board our ships and to have rest of 12 hours in hotels in France. No seafarers’ documents are needed, just previous experience in hospitality institutions.”

• 5 weeks later...

Christ, these people are unreal.......................

P&O Ferries has been forced to reverse an attempt to pay its new, cheaper agency workers even less money.

It comes after the RMT Union received reports of agency workers at Dover being asked to sign new contracts replacing their old ones on lower pay.

The union reported P&O Ferries to the Maritime and Coastguard Agency, which ensured the new workers retained their original wages.

The company has been asked for comment but has so far not responded.

P&O Ferries sacked almost 800 employees last month and brought in cheaper agency workers on some of its boats, in a move it said would ensure the future of the business.

However, the National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers (RMT) said the firm was now "trying to bring in an exploitative model, with the lowest possible standards they can get away with".

RMT said that a seafarer on the Spirit of Britain ferry at Dover had initially contacted the union begging for help in a dispute over pay.

In an email seen by the BBC the worker wrote: "They don't care about our rights. They try to give us less money. We are desperate."

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2022 at 6:42 PM, faraway saint said:

A decision that will have a short term effect, maybe longer, on the public's willingness to use this company. 

Figures leaked today confirm that the public and business's are, indeed, using other providers.

Serves the b'strds right, an utterly stupid decision, badly managed and a PR disaster.

now there are not enough airport workers to service the current demand which is still below pre-pandemic.

Brexit must be a factor as we no longer have the same levels of EU workers and we currently have more vacancies in this country than workers to fill them.  Low skilled and low-paid jobs that still have a major effect on the economy.

3 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

now there are not enough airport workers to service the current demand which is still below pre-pandemic.

Brexit must be a factor as we no longer have the same levels of EU workers and we currently have more vacancies in this country than workers to fill them.  Low skilled and low-paid jobs that still have a major effect on the economy.

I was in Pitlochry recently and the hotel i was staying in couldn't get a chef, so couldn't open the restaurant at night. 

Brexit been a disaster the manager of the hotel said.

Plenty of shops and bars also had sign saying staff wanted.

Brexit has been an unmitigated disaster for my trade and my business.  Increased costs to bring stuff in and increased costs via tariffs ( which we were told wouldn’t happen ) when we sell to our N.I. Customers.  
Couriers charging a fortune and some simply not taking parcels due to the paperwork involved and the shortage of local drivers. 

The shortage of workers in Hotels , Travel , leisure in tourism has been made worse by businesses who furloughed employees during covid and now can’t attract them back or in the case of airlines, they can’t get their safety currency back on tap quick enough to cope with rise in numbers.

But hey , it’s worth it coz we took back control 🙄😡  

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Brexit has been an unmitigated disaster for my trade and my business.  Increased costs to bring stuff in and increased costs via tariffs ( which we were told wouldn’t happen ) when we sell to our N.I. Customers.  
Couriers charging a fortune and some simply not taking parcels due to the paperwork involved and the shortage of local drivers. 

The shortage of workers in Hotels , Travel , leisure in tourism has been made worse by businesses who furloughed employees during covid and now can’t attract them back or in the case of airlines, they can’t get their safety currency back on tap quick enough to cope with rise in numbers.

But hey , it’s worth it coz we took back control 🙄😡  

Not too different in Construction CG, plenty of vacancies but not enough skilled workers to fill them.....as long as we can find a foreign Bamber Gascoigne that can lay bricks everything should be ok!!