Favourite Foreign Places

Rascal

Stanley Saint is currently holidaying in San Francisco, lucky man, and seems to be enjoying it.

Got me thinking about places that Forum Members have enjoyed visiting for fun or for work or not enjoyed!

TV showing events in Ukraine back memories for me of several visits to Kiev, Dnipro and zaporizhzhia

Very cold in winter - coldest I have ever been even in my hotel. Nice and warm in the summer. Sitting by the river drinking their favourite - Beetroot Juice. Not for me.

Very different cities.  People more like Polish people than Russians in my experience but there was a strong Russian influence.

Edited by Rascal

I went to Iceland a couple of years ago Wasn’t looking forward to it due to the scary drink prices I’d heard about but Mrs HSS was desperate to go Got talking to a Scottish guy who lived there and he told us the way to do it was to do a Happy Hour pub crawl I’m so glad I met that guy 🤗

Just a pity restaurants don’t do Happy Hours 🙄

Seriously though it’s a wonderful Country that I will definitely return to 🇮🇸

I remember growing up in the days of the cold war thinking I would never get to visit China, Russia, Cuba and the Eastern European countries all of which were interesting.

The only place I really disliked was Yalta in Crimea. It was still part of Ukraine then. It was like a sleazy Russian Blackpool! I also changed. some money there and I still have most of it as every place wanted Euros.

I really liked Andalusia , especially Cordoba with its Mezquita and Alcazar.

10 minutes ago, ianmac said:

I remember growing up in the days of the cold war thinking I would never get to visit China, Russia, Cuba and the Eastern European countries all of which were interesting.

The only place I really disliked was Yalta in Crimea. It was still part of Ukraine then. It was like a sleazy Russian Blackpool! I also changed. some money there and I still have most of it as every place wanted Euros.

I really liked Andalusia , especially Cordoba with its Mezquita and Alcazar.

I grew up thinking that also. 

And it all came true - I never got to visit them . 🙄

Brought up in a mining village in Fife , visits to Edinburgh and Glasgow were major excursions. Ferries ran across the Forth and Accross the Tay. Airline flights were unknown and sailing to Australia to emigrate cost £10 and took six weeks by boat. Amazing to me then as I grew and started to work overseas to be able to travel to so many places and so quickly. I made it a rule never to spend more than one weekend away so it wasn’t unknown for me to get a flight from say Johannesburg on a Friday night at 8pm and arrive in Scotland at 9.30 on Saturday. Drive home, shower, out for light lunch with my wife then off to football before catching the plane from Edinburgh at just after 6pm on the Sunday to arrive in JHB at 08.30 where I would pick up a car and drive to work. 

Edited by Rascal

Ok been unable to contribute for a few days due to a technical issue with my tablet but I will say that I have really enjoyed San Francisco, not up there with Singapore or Venice but really good fun. Alcatraz was fascinating, went to Sausalito which is rich small town America and very pretty, did Painted Ladies tour which was me, the other half and a pleasant young couple from Phoenix and the driver in a VW camper whizzing round the city. Only downside has been the fact that I should be on a flight home but BA appear to have hit some 'operational' issues that mean we can't fly back until tomorrow!

9 hours ago, StanleySaint said:

Ok been unable to contribute for a few days due to a technical issue with my tablet but I will say that I have really enjoyed San Francisco, not up there with Singapore or Venice but really good fun. Alcatraz was fascinating, went to Sausalito which is rich small town America and very pretty, did Painted Ladies tour which was me, the other half and a pleasant young couple from Phoenix and the driver in a VW camper whizzing round the city. Only downside has been the fact that I should be on a flight home but BA appear to have hit some 'operational' issues that mean we can't fly back until tomorrow!

My heart bleeds for you….  :rolleyes:

Here’s a guy who also loved the place:

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/7632447-when-i-was-a-child-growing-up-in-salinas-we

1 hour ago, HSS said:

Amsterdam 🤗

Great museums and lovely gardens at Kuekenhof. Other attractions. Diamonds and Bright Red Lights. Forests not far away are worth a visit for a day or two stay with some nice hotels with extensive walks and cycle trails.

Edited by Rascal

The scenes at Manchester Airport today looked chaotic. Obviously a lot of people are back travelling to their favourite places. My days for this have gone. Enjoy your travel this year, wherever you intend to go.

4 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

Halifax Nova Scotia and Calgary are amazing cities, you have to be very self aware going past a certain latitude on the main drag in Calgary, but what a place.

Halifax is easily the friendliest city I have been too. great history and great bars

Never been BYK. Sounds great. If I were still travelling then I would put it on my list of places to go too. Friendliest places for me have been Oman which has a population that seem to have been born caring for others and in Canada Niagra on The Lakes, not Niagra. People stopped cars to let pedestrians cross, nopened doors and were polite. The place was picture perfect too.