Favourite Foreign Places

Rascal

9 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

Calgary has a problematic “latitude”…?

More info, please…

(The Beltline, mibbe)

9 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

Halifax is easily the friendliest city I have been too. great history and great bars

Lovely setting, too.

A lot of waterfront bars.

interesting galleries and museums.

affluent city.

Edited by antrin

17 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

Halifax Nova Scotia and Calgary are amazing cities, you have to be very self aware going past a certain latitude on the main drag in Calgary, but what a place.

Halifax is easily the friendliest city I have been too. great history and great bars

Flew to Calgary and spent a few days there to start a driving holiday through the Rockies.

By coincidence we were there when the Stampede was on. We did go to the rodeo which was great. Also, when the stampede is on a lot of the locals wear western dress around the city i.e. jeans, stetson hats and embroidered fancy shirts - no pistols as far as I could see!

Flew to Calgary and spent a few days there to start a driving holiday through the Rockies.
By coincidence we were there when the Stampede was on. We did go to the rodeo which was great. Also, when the stampede is on a lot of the locals wear western dress around the city i.e. jeans, stetson hats and embroidered fancy shirts - no pistols as far as I could see!

Nobody glad enough to see you. [emoji14]

9 hours ago, antrin said:

Calgary has a problematic “latitude”…?

More info, please…

(The Beltline, mibbe)

Lovely setting, too.

A lot of waterfront bars.

interesting galleries and museums.

affluent city.

I cant remember the street names/numbers, but there is a main shopping and leisure street which is fine the whole way along from one end to the other by day but less so after rush hour.   once you get towards the last few bars and restaurants then there is a tendency for a certain ethnic group to target those who are alone or look out of place (me).  in broad daylight around 7 30 pm, i counted 3 different moustachioed and swarthy looking chaps closing in on me until shots rang out from a bar and a bunch of police cruisers shot in to the pedestrian area causing the crowds to disperse.  I timidly went straight to my hotel and ordered dinner in my room.   Apparently one person was killed that night and in my 6 days there there were around 10 murders in the wider area.  

Seems my visit coincided with an ethnic celebration called "Fiestaval" which tended to draw all sorts of nice people and a hot of nasties.

24 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

I cant remember the street names/numbers, but there is a main shopping and leisure street which is fine the whole way along from one end to the other by day but less so after rush hour.   once you get towards the last few bars and restaurants then there is a tendency for a certain ethnic group to target those who are alone or look out of place (me).  in broad daylight around 7 30 pm, i counted 3 different moustachioed and swarthy looking chaps closing in on me until shots rang out from a bar and a bunch of police cruisers shot in to the pedestrian area causing the crowds to disperse.  I timidly went straight to my hotel and ordered dinner in my room.   Apparently one person was killed that night and in my 6 days there there were around 10 murders in the wider area.  

Seems my visit coincided with an ethnic celebration called "Fiestaval" which tended to draw all sorts of nice people and a hot of nasties.

Too close for comfort! In Moscow and Durban there was shooting outside my hotel. In Athens, a Riot in the main square next door and a bomb went off in the property next to my hotel during one visit to Joburg. A gang land attack apparently. It’s a scary world out there.

Edited by Rascal

4 minutes ago, Rascal said:

Too close for comfort! In Moscow and Durban there was shooting outside my hotel. In Athens, a Riot in the main square next door and a bomb went off in the property next to my hotel. A gang land attack apparently. It’s a scary world out there.

Not a patch on a friday night barney outside the Glenburn chippy circa 1975

4 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

Not a patch on a friday night barney outside the Glenburn chippy circa 1975

I was going to mention being in Belfast for work around 1990 and the pub I had been in during the first trip was gone (bombed) when I went back a couple of weeks later.

I did stay in the Europa Hotel, so I guess I was lucky to escape unhurt.

However not as bad as Glenburn.......

Edited by ianmac

1 minute ago, ianmac said:

I was going to mention being in Belfast for work around 1990 and the pub I had been in during the first trip was gone (bombed) when I went back a couple of weeks later.

However not as bad as Glenburn.......

Glenburn was a tea party.  I witnessed what the supposedly retired Gallowhill team and a sprinkling of Hunterhill lads did to Blackpool one september weekend.

1 minute ago, beyond our ken said:

Glenburn was a tea party.  I witnessed what the supposedly retired Gallowhill team and a sprinkling of Hunterhill lads did to Blackpool one september weekend.

When I was asked to go to Belfast I was told it was to help implement IT systems for the Poll Tax. However it turned out to be an upgrade the the Rates system.

Not even Margaret Thatcher was daft enough to impose the Poll Tax on Northern Ireland.

We were there for my son's first wedding.  The best city tour i ever had was the amphibious troop carrier that took you along the Dart (oohh missus!) and then came back on shore to show you round the area.  A very civilised yet spirited city, kinda what Glasgow could be like without the bigotry.  Full of music and laughter.

We stayed near the student/boho district and stopped to enjoy a jam session at 8 am between 3 guys sitting about 50 metres apart on their respective front steps as the walking bus led the kids to school.  I also got interviewed by local TV for the news hour which was a lot of fun, the reporters who buttonholed me on the street praised me for my knowledge of  the tri-partheid fiscal convention between Mexico, Canada and the US and got really excited about Scotland's connection to Canada-until i admitted i got all my knowledge from their early news bulletin.

If i'm spared long enough I will definitely go back there as part of a road and rail trip across Canada and South through the Rockies

On a flight to Karachi I was reading a book in which a hotel in that city was the subject of a terrorist attack. I realised that it was the hotel I was going to be staying in. On arrival, security was whip tight. Open bonnet, open boot, under-car inspection and machine gun toting guards. The book had been based on fact!

2 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

Can't beat a wee day trip to Greenock on the Costa del Clyde for me

I love to sample the local cuisine and traditional dishes like a Sausage Supper Pie Supper Hamburger supper, and a few glasses of their locally produced red wine.

Eldorado and Four Crown my 2 favourites, King for a day I call it  :king  

Hadn’t featured in my Bucket List. Now if you threw in a game against Morton in a cup competition and a fish supper from the Saucy Sue in Port Glasgow.I might change my mind.

Edited by Rascal