The Oscars

shull

21 hours ago, faraway saint said:

What about acne?

If it was targeted at someone I never knew I'd still find it distasteful.

This was a personal issue, not a general issue, as most "jokes" about sensitive subjects are, quite different IMO. 

41 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

The "joke" was specific and targeted.

It named a person sitting in the audience and indirectly referenced an illness she has.

Inappropriate.

All the postulating on here is moot.

It was NOT a general joke referencing a condition... It was personal.

That, especially in public, is wholly unacceptable unless the target has been pre warned and is fine with it.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Pretty much what I said yesterday, completely different from a "general" attempt to make a subject funny. 

Pretty much what I said yesterday, completely different from a "general" attempt to make a subject funny. 

I wouldn't know... I scan past your posts these days in search of something interesting.

Sadly, you quoting me resulted in an alert.

Gonnae no dae that. Eh? Just gonnae no?

ps... Well done on a reasonable stance.

Points off for the need to publicly show you said it first! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

10 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

I wouldn't know... I scan past your posts these days in search of something interesting.

Sadly, you quoting me resulted in an alert.

Gonnae no dae that. Eh? Just gonnae no?

ps... Well done on a reasonable stance.

Points off for the need to publicly show you said it first! emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Pity you didn't skim past on saturday when you went out of your way to be a twat, the power of the cheap wine.  :lol:

Points?

Pity your behind the game as usual, never mind, we are what we are. :byebye

Edited by faraway saint

Pity you didn't skim past on saturday when you went out of your way to be a twat, the power of the cheap wine.  [emoji38]
Points?
Pity your behind the game as usual, never mind, we are what we are. :byebye
Sad self pleasuring edit from the forum narcissist. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

6 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

That being said, Will Smith and Chris Rock are a pair of pr*cks and the only pity is they both didn't get a slap as they annoy people in equal measure.  Nice to see Sean Coombs advocate sorting it out like family, maybe with a wee drive-by?

Aye?

I've always liked Smith in movies and chat shows, Rock, hard to tell, not seen as much of him to really say.

Never knew you mixed in such high company? 

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Aye?

I've always liked Smith in movies and chat shows, Rock, hard to tell, not seen as much of him to really say.

Never knew you mixed in such high company? 

High company? A film actor and a comedian? Get a life.

I saw power o the dug tonight.

enjoyed it, I think...  quite a lot.

beautiful photography and images. Great story, wonderful acting from all actors.

But… s…l……o…….w…….

2hrs 6mins, I believe

took overlong to get going for me.

Cumberpatch was wonderfully horrible.

8 hours ago, StanleySaint said:

If I had the opportunity to sit and chat with say Tom Hanks and Billy Connolly I'd consider that quite lofty, better than some self important politician or minor diplomat in any case.

Personally SS , I wouldn’t see either of those as lofty, much as I enjoy their work. I give you that both Tom Hanks and Billy Connolly would be more interesting. Not all work was fun so politicians and diplomats were in there as necessary for my work. The consolation being that we get paid for it.

I did turn down an invitation to join Pavarotti for lunch when he was in Glasgow and gave my deputy the chance to go. He loved it. The invite had included my wife. She has never forgiven me. Looking back, I should have gone.

Edited by Rascal

2 hours ago, antrin said:

I saw power o the dug tonight.

enjoyed it, I think...  quite a lot.

beautiful photography and images. Great story, wonderful acting from all actors.

But… s…l……o…….w…….

2hrs 6mins, I believe

took overlong to get going for me.

Cumberpatch was wonderfully horrible.

Thanks for the review. Campion films are, if I remember rightly, big on capturing the topography, climate etc. Creates a sense of brooding. Will give it a go. The Piano is the film I remember. Set in New Zealand. Wonderful shots of the area. Holly Hunter won best actress award for her part in it.

Edited by Rascal

5 hours ago, Rascal said:

Thanks for the review. Campion films are, if I remember rightly, big on capturing the topography, climate etc. Creates a sense of brooding. Will give it a go. The Piano is the film I remember. Set in New Zealand. Wonderful shots of the area. Holly Hunter won best actress award for her part in it.

Yup.

TPOTD is also certainly brooding.  You just know that “no good’ll come of this”!

And, despite being set on a Montana cattle ranch in 1925 with acres of coos and cooboys, it was also filmed in NZ.

The topography plays its part.

Clever storytelling.

The last few minutes reward your attention. Any loose ends or queries are tied up at that time.  Satisfying.

Edited by antrin

I must admit I'm conflicted on this one, Smith was absolutely out of order but without his actions would be be having a debate about comedic content? Personally I do like the edgier commedians over the likes of Michael McIntyre but it is clear to me that Rock's joke was scripted and intended to cause ridicule rather than an off the cuff comment so deserves to be held to account too, instead of which getting slapped has made him a fortune in ticket sales for his current tour. Without ghe fallout I would have suspected they were in it together.

Nell Brydon, bald through alopecia says...

I’m admittedly a bit late to the party about the whole Will Smith Oscars slap, but I wasn’t sure quite what to say. No, he obviously shouldn’t have slapped him.

But - and here’s the controversial bit - I also think the joke Chris Rock told wasn’t all that offensive.

Jada is gorgeous. So was Demi Moore in GI Jane. There’s nothing to be ashamed about with alopecia. It’s a shocking condition at first — I cried every day when it happened to me — but then I realised we all have something that makes us different, and this is just more obvious than other things.

I try to teach my daughter that being different is cool, a badge of honour. In fact, I think alopecia is cool!

I never would have chosen it, but now that I’ve spent the past ten years without hair, I can see that bald is beautiful, and nothing to be ashamed of.

I spend zero time worrying about my hair, and I never have a bad hair day.

Gone are the days of expensive haircuts and highlights. I think it’s more important to not take yourself too seriously, to be able to laugh.

I’m not condoning bullying, of course, but I don’t think Chris Rock was doing that.

Being able to laugh at yourself and be unapologetically proud of who you are is awesome.

You’re different, you’re gorgeous, and no two of us are the same. Be who you are, and wear it with a smile. And don’t go slapping people at the Oscars, thinking that’s gonna make your wife happy.

That says more about your marriage than alopecia.

Back to BuddieinEK...

I love Nell.

I've seen her perform live and posed for a photo with her afterwards.

She was the good looking one.

She is beautiful.

She also happens to be bald.

It's interesting to hear a first hand perspective from someone with alopecia.

I respect her viewpoint.

She has had a decade to get to this point and have this confidence. In our photo, she is wearing a wig.

Whilst I agree with her for the most part and respect her viewpoint, I would add one caveat...

When you name a person, it becomes personal.

When you name a person in a crowded room with a TV audience of millions, it can become humiliating.

I was best man at a wedding and wanted to tell a joke that would poke fun at one of the Mums.

I spoke to her beforehand to seek out her feelings and her permission.

She was a great sport and it went down well.

Had I not checked and she took offense, I would have effectively ruined the ceremony!

I'm obese.

I've been in comedy clubs where the comedian has joked about obesity. I genuinely thought it was hilarious and laughed along.

However. I was also named in a joke in front of a crowd and felt humiliated. I smiled, but I wished for the earth to open up beneath me.

Had I been warned, I would have gone along with it... But being caught off guard hurt.

In no way is this a defence of Will Smith's actions. He was wrong. I reckon he now knows that.

Anyway, I digress.

I thought Nell's comments were worth sharing.

8 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Nell Brydon, bald through alopecia says...

I’m admittedly a bit late to the party about the whole Will Smith Oscars slap, but I wasn’t sure quite what to say. No, he obviously shouldn’t have slapped him.

But - and here’s the controversial bit - I also think the joke Chris Rock told wasn’t all that offensive.

Jada is gorgeous. So was Demi Moore in GI Jane. There’s nothing to be ashamed about with alopecia. It’s a shocking condition at first — I cried every day when it happened to me — but then I realised we all have something that makes us different, and this is just more obvious than other things.

I try to teach my daughter that being different is cool, a badge of honour. In fact, I think alopecia is cool!

I never would have chosen it, but now that I’ve spent the past ten years without hair, I can see that bald is beautiful, and nothing to be ashamed of.

I spend zero time worrying about my hair, and I never have a bad hair day.

Gone are the days of expensive haircuts and highlights. I think it’s more important to not take yourself too seriously, to be able to laugh.

I’m not condoning bullying, of course, but I don’t think Chris Rock was doing that.

Being able to laugh at yourself and be unapologetically proud of who you are is awesome.

You’re different, you’re gorgeous, and no two of us are the same. Be who you are, and wear it with a smile. And don’t go slapping people at the Oscars, thinking that’s gonna make your wife happy.

That says more about your marriage than alopecia.

Back to BuddieinEK...

I love Nell.

I've seen her perform live and posed for a photo with her afterwards.

She was the good looking one.

She is beautiful.

She also happens to be bald.

It's interesting to hear a first hand perspective from someone with alopecia.

I respect her viewpoint.

She has had a decade to get to this point and have this confidence. In our photo, she is wearing a wig.

Whilst I agree with her for the most part and respect her viewpoint, I would add one caveat...

When you name a person, it becomes personal.

When you name a person in a crowded room with a TV audience of millions, it can become humiliating.

I was best man at a wedding and wanted to tell a joke that would poke fun at one of the Mums.

I spoke to her beforehand to seek out her feelings and her permission.

She was a great sport and it went down well.

Had I not checked and she took offense, I would have effectively ruined the ceremony!

I'm obese.

I've been in comedy clubs where the comedian has joked about obesity. I genuinely thought it was hilarious and laughed along.

However. I was also named in a joke in front of a crowd and felt humiliated. I smiled, but I wished for the earth to open up beneath me.

Had I been warned, I would have gone along with it... But being caught off guard hurt.

In no way is this a defence of Will Smith's actions. He was wrong. I reckon he now knows that.

Anyway, I digress.

I thought Nell's comments were worth sharing.

In my opinion. You have nailed it.