Cost of Living

faraway saint

I was part of the “brain drain” from Scotland in the early 80s like many other Scots. Emigration happens the world over. The current population of India is 1.38Billion. The UK population is 67Million. I don't believe that some Indians doctors and nurses moving for economic personal reasons is disgusting. That is their personal choice that cnuts like you have deprived them of. 

Go fuk your self.
We have a history of population decline due to Tory policies. Even the Highland clearances had a massive effect when sheep and deer were more valuable than people.
There were clearances in the lowlands too (and in England). All to benefit the rich landowners at the expense of the common people, of course.

"Scotland History Tours" on YouTube has a short series about the lowland clearances.

C537E309-A99B-4B3B-A336-5432A8C945D3.jpeg.5f263cb62b48c2a0be8a50ba8c8a78ab.jpeg[mention=15893]W6er[/mention]

[mention=15893]W6er[/mention] will be much happier when there is a UK population decline this winter with increased deaths as a direct result of Tory policies caused by hypothermia, starvation and suicides.

Wait a minute, Tory policies were caused by hypothermia, starvation and suicides?

[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

6 minutes ago, Slarti said:

Wait a minute, Tory policies were caused by hypothermia, starvation and suicides?

emoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.png

Resulting in…..issues with predictive text on my phone.

No laughing matter imho.

13 hours ago, exiledfan said:

One thing that gets me as a single person is there is no support at all. I pay rent on a 2 bed flat myself. I don't get tax relief for being married. Food for two is same for one. I can't really date recently due to covid now monky pox. 

It's hard being single and no help. 

At least your planning for the future with your 2 beds. Looking forward to marriage and the "You're no sleeping with me ya bassa", period.

13 hours ago, exiledfan said:

One thing that gets me as a single person is there is no support at all. I pay rent on a 2 bed flat myself. I don't get tax relief for being married. Food for two is same for one. I can't really date recently due to covid now monky pox. 

It's hard being single and no help. 

triple whammy or what?  Married persons need to be pretty low earners to get that allowance.  I know younger singles at work, especially student placements, who have a network for multi buys especially on perishable foods to reduce the bills.  Not much help all the time but possibly somethig that could help.

13 hours ago, W6er said:

One thing that never seems to be mentioned is that there are simply too many people living in the UK, now! As the population continues to increase, so will the demand for electricity, gas and housing. There will be greater strain on the NHS and schools, and more congested roads and parks.

Yet the Scottish government have previouisly stated that we need to increase the working age population via immigration to help fulfil our economic potential.

An excellent edition of The Briefing Room on Radio 4 this morning…. All about how to address the current/incoming Cost of Living crisis… to best protect those who will be worst hit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0019z38

The BR is a programme giving space to non-political experts on changing subjects, honest, factual and objective analyses.

Last week was a frank, fact-filled eye-opener on perceptions and ways to tackle Scotland’s Drug Problems and why it has them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0019rd2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

With the cost of electricity & gas going through the roof it's seen a change in people's willingness to work from home where they would need to heat the house.

What a time we're going through. :(

They need a 4 day week at home!

Thats the answer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2022 at 10:43 PM, antrin said:

Or get an allotment, get a growbag, get a few big pots, grow your own….…. Admittedly…. I  just munch the braw tomatoes currently.

Tins are a costly cop-out.  you need to pay peoples wages and the profiteers.

Remember though…..,.,,,

5C18CDB2-FCB0-4279-BC7E-82D17620CB30.jpeg

23 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Good news for savers.

Inflation slightly dropped. 🙄

NHS is always chasing its tail.

Nothing to see here. 

Inflation still rising but has slowed.  Expected to peak in November before falling. 

In recession.

Might now get 1-2% on savings. Might be worth moving money out of my current account but my accountants bill will rise as he accounts for the tax.

NHS - At the bottom, I hope. On the way back up.

Edited by Rascal

54 minutes ago, Rascal said:

Inflation still rising but has slowed.  Expected to peak in November before falling. 

In recession.

Might now get 1-2% on savings. Might be worth moving money out of my current account but my accountants bill will rise as he accounts for the tax.

NHS - At the bottom, I hope. On the way back up.

What part of inflation has dropped are you having trouble with? 

Edited by faraway saint

12 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

What part of inflation had dropped are you having trouble with? 

Inflation has not dropped.

It is rising more slowly.

It Will peak at about 11%

Next month or two

Bank of England today

Edited by Rascal

14 minutes ago, Rascal said:

Inflation has not dropped.

It is rising more slowly.

It Will peak at about 11%

Next month or two

Bank of England today

You never fail to amaze me how dim you are....

DOWN this month from last month. 

8.8% last month

8.6% this month.

Take your time, it's not that hard. 🤪🤪🤪

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

You never fail to amaze me how dim you are....

DOWN this month from last month. 

8.8% last month

8.6% this month.

Take your time, it's not that hard. 🤪🤪🤪

I will suggest that the BBC and Bank of England contact you for advice. Until then , I will take their word that inflation will peak in October/November at around 11%. Meanwhile short term dips occurred but it will rise significantly.

Edited by Rascal

38 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

National insurance rise getting scrapped in November and the Yorkshire building society has a savings account at 5% 👍🏻

Monthly savings Accounts I think Albion but thanks. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Lump sum accounts with immediate access haven’t been too hot. Will be interesting to see what comes on offer. Some non high street banks (with guarantees) such as Shawbroook were offering reasonable rates for 1 or 2 year ties. Coincidentally the guy in charge there was CEO of the Yorkshire BS. Decent guy. Met him a number of years ago when he was on his way up at YBS.

More concerned at present in the fall in value of the FTSIE 100/250 in the past six months or so but there might also be investment opportunities there if it starts to look like the fall is bottoming out. Important for those with shares and/or with non salary related pensions.

Some benefit next spring if the triple lock is reconfirmed with Pensioners likely to get an around 10% rise.

Edited by Rascal

9 minutes ago, Rascal said:

Monthly savings Accounts I think Albion but thanks. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Lump sum accounts with immediate access haven’t been too hot. Will be interesting to see what comes on offer. Some non high street banks (with guarantees) such as Shawbroook were offering reasonable rates for 1 or 2 year ties. Coincidentally the guy in charge there was CEO of the Yorkshire BS. Decent guy. Met him a number of years ago when he was on his way up at YBS.

More concerned at present in the fall in value of the FTSIE 100/250 in the past six months or so but there might also be investment opportunities there if it starts to look like the fall is bottoming out. Important for those with shares and/or with non salary related pensions.

Some benefit next spring if the triple lock is reconfirmed with Pensioners likely to get an around 10% rise.

Yes it’s a monthly savings account with max of £500 a month, you can just set up a transfer from another account then at least your getting £6000 a year at a decent rate. If you don’t mind locking away your cash for a year they are doing a 3.1% account that takes transfers. It’s been slim Pickens for savers since 2008.

16 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Yes it’s a monthly savings account with max of £500 a month, you can just set up a transfer from another account then at least your getting £6000 a year at a decent rate. If you don’t mind locking away your cash for a year they are doing a 3.1% account that takes transfers. It’s been slim Pickens for savers since 2008.

Thanks Albion

On 9/22/2022 at 10:45 PM, ALBIONSAINT said:

You have to have been a member of the Yorkshire building society for 12 months before you are eligible, I was just looking into it. 

image.png.fe9d52d94f8007b38db27288ee419098.png

I'm with the TSB, currently, pardon the pun, looking at locking away a sum for 12 months. 

As you say, for umpteen years it's been, on the whole, petty slim pickings for savers.