Cost of Living

faraway saint

It was the one I quoted ya plum. [emoji38]
Yes, but you were answering my question in that post which referred to your previous post, which I quoted, where you quoted my previous post and called it a "theory".

I'll put this down to your lack of grammatical eloquence and leave it at that.

Ya plum. [emoji14]

• 2 weeks later...

Inflation just above 10%, main reason the price of shopping, except for @waldorf34 who seems to buck the trend.

Maybe he's shop LIFTING? :lol:

There's too many items to quote that are going through the roof but a bottle of water from Tesco was only 45p, now an astonishing 80p.

I heard on the radio yesterday that Waitrose are seeing a rise in the sales of SPAM. 

People getting creative, which, in the long term, might be a good thing. 

Inflation just above 10%, main reason the price of shopping, except for [mention=9369]waldorf34[/mention] who seems to buck the trend.
Maybe he's shop LIFTING? :lol:
There's too many items to quote that are going through the roof but a bottle of water from Tesco was only 45p, now an astonishing 80p.
I heard on the radio yesterday that Waitrose are seeing a rise in the sales of SPAM. 

Head to Waitrose , someone might pay for your messages ….

Inflation just above 10%, main reason the price of shopping, except for [mention=9369]waldorf34[/mention] who seems to buck the trend.
Maybe he's shop LIFTING? [emoji38]

Oaky been shopping in Waitrose? He'll be stocking up after panicking when he saw someone buying a whole TWO tins. SPAM shortage approaching.

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

That doesn't reflect INFLATION? :lol:

There has been only one year  in the last 70 years  when there has been no inflation, its a fact of life ,you just have to economise , cut out the fags and booze and phones and sky tv ,and shop around ,or grow your own vegetables  .

I lived through 29%inflation  ,16% mortgage  rates , and with only me earning  ,we survived  by cutting  back and looking for bargains. 

11 minutes ago, waldorf34 said:

There has been only one year  in the last 70 years  when there has been no inflation, its a fact of life ,you just have to economise , cut out the fags and booze and phones and sky tv ,and shop around ,or grow your own vegetables  .

I lived through 29%inflation  ,16% mortgage  rates , and with only me earning  ,we survived  by cutting  back and looking for bargains. 

Nice story but not what we, initially,  disagreed on. 

I said prices were rocketing. You disagreed. I provided proof, even in Lidl, prices had rocketed 

I agree these things, inflation, high interest rates, come in cycles and I certainly don't whine/greet about it or blame everybody ekse, like you, I get on with it. 

Plenty of people have had, and are still having, hard times, that life. 

Edited by faraway saint

• 4 weeks later...

I am seeing people pivoting on their retirement plans, even those in final salary pensions.  One guy I know who was looking at a massive cash transfer from his FSPP is now rerigned to taking the 75% of salary offer which severely limits what he will leave behind when he dies.  He would backtrack and work on if he could but instead has to leave and try to find alternative employment to restore his income T at age 55.  others have withdrawn their notice (where they can) and are working on as they are on a defined benefit scheme and the funds got minced by Truss.   Even more around my age ( 64) are, like me, opting to work on for another 3-4 years to see if the return on funds improves or if things generally improve (they won't)  but at least we can continue to take in the tax relief on pension contributions.  

18 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

I am seeing people pivoting on their retirement plans, even those in final salary pensions.  One guy I know who was looking at a massive cash transfer from his FSPP is now rerigned to taking the 75% of salary offer which severely limits what he will leave behind when he dies.  He would backtrack and work on if he could but instead has to leave and try to find alternative employment to restore his income T at age 55.  others have withdrawn their notice (where they can) and are working on as they are on a defined benefit scheme and the funds got minced by Truss.   Even more around my age ( 64) are, like me, opting to work on for another 3-4 years to see if the return on funds improves or if things generally improve (they won't)  but at least we can continue to take in the tax relief on pension contributions.  

You'll forgive me if I don't shed any tears that someone has to work beyond 55, the vast majority of men will have to work till they are 66 or 67.

I don't have any issues working until I'm 66, overall I quite like working.

If I get this job I'm chasing this will see me working till I'm 67, must be in the genes as my dad had a few wee jobs until he was 73, again, only because he liked working. 

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

You'll forgive me if I don't shed any tears that someone has to work beyond 55, the vast majority of men will have to work till they are 66 or 67.

I don't have any issues working until I'm 66, overall I quite like working.

If I get this job I'm chasing this will see me working till I'm 67, must be in the genes as my dad had a few wee jobs until he was 73, again, only because he liked working. 

You will find very few people who have any sympathy for the 55yo if the know him, that includes me.  I was highlighting the fact that well laid plans for many people have been either left in tatters or severely amended in a matter of weeks.  I was also highlighting what has happened to the markets where most pensions are invested.  Myself, i have been severely disrupted at work for the last 4-5 years and as well as recovering physically,  i have used it as a kind of semi-hiatus to extend my working life and will happily work on  until my aged semi-corpse requires the attention of the sanitary department.  I have just about hit my personal goals and am now thinking of what i can leave behind for children and grandchildren and that is a big motivator to work on. for me.  Not everyone is in the same good place and simply don't currently have the same options to secure their own future

What i do see that upsets me is a lot of people rueing the decision to opt out of working and taking their WELL-EARNED retirement at the age it was promised.  Imagine trying to get by on a fixed income that you planned even last year and feeling good about the future.  Not everyone is physically or mentally fit enough to work well into their 60s and I see several examples now of people limping out the door to a very uncertain future-maybe 10 years before living standards get back to present levels-which are still below those of 5-6 years ago.  Even that is in doubt because of the harm of Brexit-6 years on and not a decent new trade deal in sight. The UK might be left trying to get  by largely only trading with itself

There are two things that would immediately alleviate the situation we are in, either the UK admits it's massive mistake and re-joins the single market and customs union or Scotland goes it's own way and goes back in to those arrangements on their own.  They wouldn't repair the harm of the last 12 years but would save us from the spiral we are currently in.

My own preferrence is for a more federalised UK rejoining the EU institutions where Scotland has far more autonomy than devolution provided, but i would happily take the next best thing.

My wife and I are both pensioners in receipt of the State Pension and Company Pensions. 

I would describe our situation as 'comfortable' and well able to cope with the ongoing situation. (no begging letters, please).

However, the government is giving us each a £250 winter heating allowance, £400 off our energy bills and a further £300 pensioner household heating allowance next April.

That's £1200 before the next energy bill discount and a 10% state pension increase next April.

I am sure there must be hundreds of thousands of pensioners in a similar situation to me. Would it not be better to target those who really are struggling with this huge amount of government cash. It's not even taxable.

I guess it's probably partly a bribe to us old folk to get us to vote Tory - they have wasted the money on me.

You don’t yet know the final  lumpin sum that energy companies will be upping your bills. They know it will be huge.

and then there will be all the added energy costs (that WILL be passed on) from the people trying to produce your food, deliver it to supermarkets then sell you it.

Your cost of living will be immensely increased.  Don’t relax.

and never vote Tory.

35 minutes ago, antrin said:

You don’t yet know the final  lumpin sum that energy companies will be upping your bills. They know it will be huge.

and then there will be all the added energy costs (that WILL be passed on) from the people trying to produce your food, deliver it to supermarkets then sell you it.

Your cost of living will be immensely increased.  Don’t relax.

and never vote Tory.

That will all probably be true, but it will still be a lot worse for many people than it will be for the likes of me. They should be helping them immediately and maybe me later.

BTW, I have never voted tory and never will.....

16 hours ago, ianmac said:

Would it not be better to target those who really are struggling with this huge amount of government cash. It's not even taxable.

I agree but the logistics in determining where this line would be on who would get the help would only be a "lose/lose" situation and a timely exercise when the government didn't have time to try to carry out this approach. 

Easy to say but difficult to do.

As for the "bribe" idea, I don't believe for one second this would sway any/many to change allegiance when it comes to voting in a couple of years time.

22 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

You will find very few people who have any sympathy for the 55yo if the know him, that includes me.  I was highlighting the fact that well laid plans for many people have been either left in tatters or severely amended in a matter of weeks.  I was also highlighting what has happened to the markets where most pensions are invested.  Myself, i have been severely disrupted at work for the last 4-5 years and as well as recovering physically,  i have used it as a kind of semi-hiatus to extend my working life and will happily work on  until my aged semi-corpse requires the attention of the sanitary department.  I have just about hit my personal goals and am now thinking of what i can leave behind for children and grandchildren and that is a big motivator to work on. for me.  Not everyone is in the same good place and simply don't currently have the same options to secure their own future

What i do see that upsets me is a lot of people rueing the decision to opt out of working and taking their WELL-EARNED retirement at the age it was promised.  Imagine trying to get by on a fixed income that you planned even last year and feeling good about the future.  Not everyone is physically or mentally fit enough to work well into their 60s and I see several examples now of people limping out the door to a very uncertain future-maybe 10 years before living standards get back to present levels-which are still below those of 5-6 years ago.  Even that is in doubt because of the harm of Brexit-6 years on and not a decent new trade deal in sight. The UK might be left trying to get  by largely only trading with itself

There are two things that would immediately alleviate the situation we are in, either the UK admits it's massive mistake and re-joins the single market and customs union or Scotland goes it's own way and goes back in to those arrangements on their own.  They wouldn't repair the harm of the last 12 years but would save us from the spiral we are currently in.

My own preferrence is for a more federalised UK rejoining the EU institutions where Scotland has far more autonomy than devolution provided, but i would happily take the next best thing.

Lo and behold. from the mail (who felt the need to tell their readers that Jeremy Hunt is best known for being chancellor)

eremy Hunt, the chancellor, has signalled that Rishi Sunak's administration intends to break from the approach adopted by Mr Johnson and remove the vast majority of trade barriers with the bloc.

In private, senior government sources have suggested that pursuing frictionless trade requires moving towards a Swiss-style relationship, the paper reported.

'I think having unfettered trade with our neighbours and countries all over the world is very beneficial to growth,' he told the BBC Radio 4 Today programme.

'I have great confidence that over the years ahead we will find outside the single market, we are able to remove the vast majority of the trade barriers that exist between us and the EU. It will take time.'

As I suspected, the recent fcuk up by the short lived Truss appointed chancellor seems to have had no real, or long term, effect on pensions.

I just received this from one of my private pension companies.................

You may have seen various news updates recently about the impact of the current market volatility on government gilts, how stock markets are reacting and how this is affecting the pensions industry.

We'd like to reassure you that the Trustee is constantly monitoring the situation and that there is no concern that this will affect the payment of benefits.

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

As I suspected, the recent fcuk up by the short lived Truss appointed chancellor seems to have had no real, or long term, effect on pensions.

I just received this from one of my private pension companies.................

You may have seen various news updates recently about the impact of the current market volatility on government gilts, how stock markets are reacting and how this is affecting the pensions industry.

We'd like to reassure you that the Trustee is constantly monitoring the situation and that there is no concern that this will affect the payment of benefits.

This is a screenshot from one of my Pensions , taken 21 days after that joke “budget”.  It covers a 30 day period from 13th September .It has recovered slightly but still still well short of where it should be and would have been if that f**king idiot hadn’t thrown a grenade into pension funds. 
I do appreciate not all pensions perform at the same rate or level and given time, hopefully will recover what was lost. To those Tory cunts who supported this and who tried ( and some still do )to say it didn’t affect pensions - there’s a special place reserved in hell for you wankers 😡  

1201E1F0-CD3C-49D4-BFCA-6398F31CBB9E.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

This is a screenshot from one of my Pensions , taken 21 days after that joke “budget”.  It covers a 30 day period from 13th September .It has recovered slightly but still still well short of where it should be and would have been if that f**king idiot hadn’t thrown a grenade into pension funds. 
I do appreciate not all pensions perform at the same rate or level and given time, hopefully will recover what was lost. To those Tory cunts who supported this and who tried ( and some still do )to say it didn’t affect pensions - there’s a special place reserved in hell for you wankers 😡  

1201E1F0-CD3C-49D4-BFCA-6398F31CBB9E.jpeg

Unlucky but short term and unlikely to make any noticeable difference when the pension is ready to be issued.

I suppose there's been periods when it's out performed expected gains?