Cost of Living

faraway saint

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

As I suspected, the recent fcuk up by the short lived Truss appointed chancellor seems to have had no real, or long term, effect on pensions.

I just received this from one of my private pension companies.................

You may have seen various news updates recently about the impact of the current market volatility on government gilts, how stock markets are reacting and how this is affecting the pensions industry.

We'd like to reassure you that the Trustee is constantly monitoring the situation and that there is no concern that this will affect the payment of benefits.

As for the last quote . I’m sure many pension providers said that before the market crash in 2008…..right before many of those themselves crashed as a result .

There is a good reason most pension providers say the value of your investments can go down as well as up - and a provider saying today they have “no concern” can easily change next week / month / year on a stupid decision outwith their control .

like you I m sure we all hope for the best but experience tells us the worst CAN happen . Fingers crossed it doesn’t 🤞

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

Unlucky but short term and unlikely to make any noticeable difference when the pension is ready to be issued.

I suppose there's been periods when it's out performed expected gains? 

My point is - it shows how easy it is to see significant  losses , especially when you get a f**king idiot like Kwarteng doing what he did.    

As I suspected, the recent fcuk up by the short lived Truss appointed chancellor seems to have had no real, or long term, effect on pensions.
I just received this from one of my private pension companies.................

You may have seen various news updates recently about the impact of the current market volatility on government gilts, how stock markets are reacting and how this is affecting the pensions industry.

We'd like to reassure you that the Trustee is constantly monitoring the situation and that there is no concern that this will affect the payment of benefits.

That's very "politician speak" as it doesn't actually say that it won't affect how much they will pay, just that they will still pay.

On 11/21/2022 at 6:50 PM, faraway saint said:

Just seen an advert asking people to spend 2 minutes less in the shower.

Who times themselves in the shower to then reduce that by 2 fecking minutes?

Mental. :1eye

I timed myself in the shower this morning using the scientifically trusted method of 'Mississippi 1, 'Mississippi 2, 'Mississippi 3 etc'.

I think it was about a minute and a half.

Does that mean I can't have a shower any more?

Just now, ianmac said:

I timed myself in the shower this morning using the scientifically trusted method of 'Mississippi 1, 'Mississippi 2, 'Mississippi 3 etc'.

I think it was about a minute and a half.

Does that mean I can't have a shower any more?

Doesn't count as you have a stutter......................

Miiiissssssisssssippppppppppppppi 1, etc

Probably about 30 minutes. :wink:

On 11/25/2022 at 9:53 AM, faraway saint said:

Petrol down to £1.54 in Morrisons, best it's been for a while.

I picked a good day to fill up. :thumbs2

Petrol in Morrison's at Baillieston has been £149.9 per litre this weekend. Diesel still astronomical though.