Cost of Living

faraway saint

17 minutes ago, Scott-Leeds said:

Did anyone ever think everything connected to Covid was going to be free ?

Vaccines/Test Kits / PPE/Furlough/Tax Credit uplifts/Reduced VAT/ No business rates 12 months/Pop up centres/Thousands of staff/Transportation/Storage/R&D/Grants

Everyone bar none, was on the receiving end of this above in one way.

Nope, well no one with an ounce of sense, it was mentioned/discussed in the Covid thread a long time ago. 

An extra 1.5p in NI is probably less that I thought we'd have to pay to cover it. 

On 4/5/2022 at 10:13 PM, faraway saint said:

:snore

10%?

1,25% isn't 10%. 

Don't you support the NHS?

What is the tax increase for?

The original 1.25 percentage point increase in NI was supposed to raise £12bn a year. Increasing the point at which people start paying it, will cost more than half of this.

Initially, the extra money will go towards easing pressure on the NHS .

Gave up reading, usual Tory bashing. 

I thought Brexit was going to provide extra money for the NHS

1 hour ago, windae cleaner said:

I thought Brexit was going to provide extra money for the NHS

Precisely what it said on the side of the Brexit bus. £350 million a week fir the NHS as soon as we leave EU!

And luckily The Prime Buffoon also promised before his election, that there would be NO tax rises, no NI increases also.

I feel sure that if he really needed £ after covid, that he’d prefer the rich to pay tax and he’d impose windfall taxes on the big fossil fuel companies, like most other countries have done!

I mean… why wouldn’t he?  :unsure:

1 hour ago, antrin said:

Precisely what it said on the side of the Brexit bus. £350 million a week fir the NHS as soon as we leave EU!

And luckily The Prime Buffoon also promised before his election, that there would be NO tax rises, no NI increases also.

I feel sure that if he really needed £ after covid, that he’d prefer the rich to pay tax and he’d impose windfall taxes on the big fossil fuel companies, like most other countries have done!

I mean… why wouldn’t he?  :unsure:

If there ever was a rhetorical question then this has to be it Mr A. All about political dogma rather than any sense of fairness or progression. Low wages suit Tory Donors and perhaps a number of Tory voters. Why people in the northern areas with poorly performing economies fell for the Brexit nonsense can only be explained as, and I am sorry to say this, inherent racism.

On 4/6/2022 at 9:07 AM, Callum Gilhooley said:

A lot easier than down there. Both my son & daughter live down south so I do have some experience of their issues . For my part , since I moved back up to this area from Dumfries  , I’ve changed Dentist twice - once coz I didn’t like the Dentist and once when we moved house to Erskine , no problems at all.  

im not saying there aren’t issues up here but everything is relative. 

Seems it's not so easy.................https://news.stv.tv/scotland/scottish-dentists-warn-of-a-crisis-in-the-industry-with-patients-struggling-to-get-appointments

My dentist had went private in my absence so when I called last week, I had deliberately held off as my issue was purely cosmetic, I was informed he had gone private.

They didn't think it was the decent thing to do to at least inform me, or any other patients.

They have put me on a waiting list, unable to give any indication on the length pf time that this could take.

I called two other dentists in the town, the almost chuckled, not even any point going onto a waiting list as it's so large. 

“Practices which can, will go fully private, and practices which can’t, will go bust.”

That is the warning from a Scottish dentist who sees a “perfect storm” for the health service.

From Friday, the way the NHS pays dentists for treatments is reverting back to its pre-pandemic system – something those in the industry have said is no longer fit for purpose.

The Scottish Dental Association has said a significant number of its members are being forced to turn to private patients to balance the books and that is one of the major reasons so many are struggling to see a dentist.

Edited by faraway saint

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Seems it's not so easy.................https://news.stv.tv/scotland/scottish-dentists-warn-of-a-crisis-in-the-industry-with-patients-struggling-to-get-appointments

My dentist had went private in my absence so when I called last week, I had deliberately held off as my issue was purely cosmetic, I was informed he had gone private.

They didn't think it was the decent thing to do to at least inform me, or any other patients.

They have put me on a waiting list, unable to give any indication on the length pf time that this could take.

I called two other dentists in the town, the almost chuckled, not even any point going onto a waiting list as it's so large. 

“Practices which can, will go fully private, and practices which can’t, will go bust.”

That is the warning from a Scottish dentist who sees a “perfect storm” for the health service.

From Friday, the way the NHS pays dentists for treatments is reverting back to its pre-pandemic system – something those in the industry have said is no longer fit for purpose.

The Scottish Dental Association has said a significant number of its members are being forced to turn to private patients to balance the books and that is one of the major reasons so many are struggling to see a dentist.

Join the club already using private dentists. 

My dentist cancelled my appointment before Covid, I made another when Covid appeared and they cancelled that one.

I tried again a third time and they said I had been struck off as I hadn’t been for a while [emoji15] ( a year )

I explained check my details as they cancelled twice.

Sorry, nothing we can do was the reply

On 4/5/2022 at 5:59 PM, faraway saint said:

Just got the details of the price hike on our gas/electric supply, almost DOUBLED to £2,600 per year.

When you add in the fuel rises, food & drink it's hitting hard.

God help families that are close to the edge as it is, nightmare. 

Talk about fuel prices

I see the price of oil has went down by 25% the last 3 weeks but the prices on the forecourt haven't 

On 4/7/2022 at 6:42 AM, Scott-Leeds said:

Did anyone ever think everything connected to Covid was going to be free ?

Vaccines/Test Kits / PPE/Furlough/Tax Credit uplifts/Reduced VAT/ No business rates 12 months/Pop up centres/Thousands of staff/Transportation/Storage/R&D/Grants

Everyone bar none, was on the receiving end of this above in one way.

Fuel costs :

Difficult to sell it cheaper than buying it/ Russia/Ukraine conflict

Unfortunately, it is what it is ( many other factors obviously ) but Brexit/Covid/Ukraine one after the other contributing to this

Hopefully fuel prices/ gas/elec come down sooner than later

I don't think anyone is denying there would be Covid impacts, from what I am reading it is the CHOICES regarding these Covid impacts. The Tory government have chosen to hit those that can least afford it to recover from the pandemic.

It certainly isn't a surprise to many that Brexit has been a complete car crash and left us in a far worse economic position to cope with the situation right now (or indeed just generally, Brexit was hurting the UK before Covid). Pandemic/ conflict aside, Brexit was always going to be dire, even some senior Tory MPs have admitted we won't see any real benefit from Brexit anytime soon (I doubt the working class of today will ever be in a better place than had we remained) 

As I said above, for me it also shows how unequipped the UK was to handle a pandemic generally. There are many long-term better managed nations with stronger reserves to take a lot of these hits away from their people. It is pathetic a (rich) nation like the UK, can only see fit to deal with the pandemic by raising taxes (directly or by stealth) on some of the lowest earners while offering little to no real support on the cost of living crisis. All while largely protecting the most wealthy in society. 

On 4/7/2022 at 7:03 AM, faraway saint said:

Nope, well no one with an ounce of sense, it was mentioned/discussed in the Covid thread a long time ago. 

An extra 1.5p in NI is probably less that I thought we'd have to pay to cover it. 

That is only to support health and social care. There is also significant additional taxation by not increasing the salary threshold for when people pay tax. With the big cost of living increase and inflation, it is inevitable that salaries will have to follow. This means more people paying more of their salary in tax because the taxation baseline is fixed and won't move in line with increases. 

It is taxation by stealth, anyone with "an ounce of sense" can see this as well. 

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, spamming. 

A simple "like" (acknowledgement) would have been sufficient for MOST people, but not the Stirling spammer. 

Gave you a like. Just in case you missed it. 

4 hours ago, windae cleaner said:

Talk about fuel prices

I see the price of oil has went down by 25% the last 3 weeks but the prices on the forecourt haven't 

100%, as soon as the price of crude goes up the forecourts hike up the price, when they are selling fuel that taken some time to get to them and isn't at the higher price.

They are inno hurry to drop the prices, robbing b'strds. :(

It’s not so long ago that the Government bailed out to banks to the tune of £500Billion. 

Years of downright fraudulent working practices yet they were saved. 

Just now there is complaints by the Chancellor regarding his wife. She pays £30,000 for non-dom status to avoid paying £4.5Million in UK tax. 

We should be targeting the companies that make vast profits but pay next to no tax on profits.

As an example, Amazon paid just £492m in 2020 UK direct taxes, while estimates put the company's tax-to-turnover ratio at just 0.37%. For context, the higher rate of income tax for an individual is 40%.

This needs to change. It’s so wrong that companies like Amazon get away with this. It’s immoral and reprehensible.