VAR Poll

W6er

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

It has, I know. 

Throw ins, fouls etc take up MORE time, should we do away with them? 

No, when the ball goes out of the field of play it needs to be reintroduced. I was at Hampden when the Scotland's (second?) goal was awarded based on VAR and it was a long interruption. It happens a lot. Plus I think bad decisions tend to even themselves out and the controversy they create is a good talking point. Ever heard of 'the hand of God"...?

2 minutes ago, W6er said:

No, when the ball goes out of the field of play it needs to be reintroduced. I was at Hampden when the Scotland's (second?) goal was awarded based on VAR and it was a long interruption. It happens a lot. Plus I think bad decisions tend to even themselves out and the controversy they create is a good talking point. Ever heard of 'the hand of God"...?

No it doesn't, a common misconception. 

The Premier League says that the average time for a full VAR review with an overturned decision is approximately 84 seconds. With regard to checks, there is an average delay of 22 seconds across an entire game.

The correct decision wins for me every time, feck all this pish "talking point" garbage.

Edited by faraway saint

Just now, faraway saint said:

No it doesn't, a common misconception. 

The correct decision wins for me every time, feck all this pish "talking point" garbage.

Well, you vote in favour of the introduction of VAR, then! 😉

Just now, faraway saint said:

Great thread by the way. 

What next, a "what to have for my tea" thread? :P

I thought it was relevant. I literally got the email today notifying me SMISA were conducting the poll. I took the screen shot before chaning my mind, btw:

2012065664_Screenshot2022-04-1416_01_48.thumb.png.b27e2041bd2d2ea9e57eb3110daea846.png

21 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

It is, was only joking. :wink:

It irrelevant what you, or I, think, it'll be happening. :thumbs2

It's only advisory, it seems (from my email):

SMiSA, and the club board, are keen to hear ahead of this vote whether our members are for or against VAR being introduced. You can give us your view by voting for or against it in this quick ballot here. The ballot will be open until midnight on Sunday 17th April. 

Please note that although the result of this vote will be shared with the club board, it is for informational purposes only, and will not be binding. The board will need to consider costs and logistics as well as fans' views before making their final decision.

That's a bit of a shame. So 99% of SMISA members could vote for or against it and the board would still potentially vote the opposite way. :( 

Just now, Cookie Monster said:
2 minutes ago, munoz said:
Voted for. 

Likewise, for the reason that I've felt that we've had far more big calls go against than for.

* see Ibrox 4 penalties game for example. 

For some balance, some of our penalties last season, swings and roundabouts but whatever is the correct decision is the way ahead. 
An analogy I know regarding penalties is about a soft boiled egg and a hard boiled egg. Both are boiled eggs.

Some of those "penalties" for sevco the egg never got near the pan.

1 hour ago, StanleySaint said:

Voted for on the basis that it couldn't get any worse for the clubs outside the ugly sisters than it is at present, and decisions made by someone away from the stadium would likely be less influenced.

Would they be away from the stadium? Or sitting somewhere in the stadium viewing a monitor?

Let the game flow, let the controversy continue.... 

14 minutes ago, W6er said:

Would they be away from the stadium? Or sitting somewhere in the stadium viewing a monitor?

Let the game flow, let the controversy continue.... 

Down South they are centrally located at Stockley Park…….there is no doubt (in my mind at least) that referees are influenced by large crowds wanting every decision in their favour, VAR will only work properly (in my opinion)if the operators are remote from the stadiums.

I voted for. 

Edited by WeeBud

So far, then:

4 For: @munoz , @Cookie Monster , @StanleySaint & @WeeBud

2 Against: @W6er & @portmahomack saint

7 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

Down South they are centrally located at Shockley Park…….there is no doubt (in my mind at least) that referees are influenced by large crowds wanting every decision in their favour, VAR will only work properly (in my opinion)if the operators are remote from the stadiums.

I voted for. 

I'd agree with that. But isn't that a major component of home advantage? The game has existed for years, and being annoyed or delighted by a refereeing decision is part of the game. 

If this forum is representative of SMISA members as a whole, then you'll win the poll.

Edited by W6er