VAR Poll

W6er

47 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Who brings up the amount of posts on almost every response? :wacko:

It's a sure way of proving that not ALL of my posts are the shite that you seem to think, only about 30% TBH.   :lol:

Now, grow up and get some new patter.  :byebye

You are unable to understand that some posts can get more than one like, increasing the percentage that don’t get any. 😅 

I am well aware that on top of the trolling & antagonism, you pander for the likes you crave in many posts. It’s so cringy 😂

9 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

You are unable to understand that some posts can get more than one like, increasing the percentage that don’t get any. 😅 

I am well aware that on top of the trolling & antagonism, you pander for the likes you crave in many posts. It’s so cringy 😂

You are trying to cover up the fact you are a tragic individual with no friends and trying to take it out on me, bullying. :lol:

Are you trying to infer that, since most fans don’t know every single rule within football, they can’t tell when VAR has gotten something wrong? If so, that seems strange & a very weak argument.

If you don't know all the laws of the game then your interpretation of them may be wrong resulting in you thinking VAR is wrong when it's been interpreted correct.

A player plays the ball a second time after taking a free kick outside of the penalty area, what is your decision?

1. I’m not sure exactly what you mean here but if it’s someone kicking a ball twice after a free kick, I imagine it would be something along the lines of indirect free kick/ retake. I can’t remember a single example of this ever happening.

Not entirely correct, you missed out if the player had played the ball with their hand then a direct free kick would be awarded or a penalty kick if the offence had happened inside their own penalty area.

You are a referee, during play a player calls you a fcuking cheat. What do you do?

2. I imagine a booking/ red card offence.

You really thought a player would only be cautioned for the offence described. [emoji1787]

Having stopped play (ie after playing advantage) the player would be sent off for foul language. The game would restart with an indirect free kick from where the player was unless they were in their own goal area then it would be taken from the goal area line that runs parallel with the goal line, or if advantage had been played from the resulting stoppage of that.

You’ll never change my mind on VAR I’m afraid. I’ve seen it in action and my opinion is, it makes the game FAR worse.

I'd have thought even the biggest critic of progress would have said they'd hadn't been convinced yet of the advantages of it rather than the blinkered attitude of I'll never change my mind.

13 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

If you don't know all the laws of the game then your interpretation of them may be wrong resulting in you thinking VAR is wrong when it's been interpreted correct.

Not entirely correct, you missed out if the player had played the ball with their hand then a direct free kick would be awarded or a penalty kick if the offence had happened inside their own penalty area.

You really thought a player would only be cautioned for the offence described. emoji1787.png

Having stopped play (ie after playing advantage) the player would be sent off for foul language. The game would restart with an indirect free kick from where the player was unless they were in their own goal area then it would be taken from the goal area line that runs parallel with the goal line, or if advantage had been played from the resulting stoppage of that.

I'd have thought even the biggest critic of progress would have said they'd hadn't been convinced yet of the advantages of it rather than the blinkered attitude of I'll never change my mind.

Would VAR likely check either of those infringements? Maybe in some occasions (if the ref had been obscured from the second touch & it was in the box, an incident that to my knowledge has never/ very rarely happened in football since VAR.) 

Given they wouldn’t likely result in a VAR check, and there are infringements that are very subjective that VAR has checked, I would say this severely weakens your argument. (Opinion) 

From the 143 St Mirren fans that voted for VAR, I imagine many would have had similar answers to me or at least to your point, wouldn’t have given a complete answer. Given again, VAR is very unlikely to ever have to check these examples, surely your argument (as weak as it is), applies to them also? 

I appreciate your effort on this but again, you won’t change my opinion with this line of challenge. You’ll maybe have to accept we hold different views? 🤷‍♂️

I take your point on not being convinced but we’ve had it at elite level football for almost four years. The tech has existed for decades longer. In my opinion, we have more than enough live example to determine it a failed experiment. But again, this is opinion. 

also - your point on the handball, that infringement would supersede the second touch after a free kick surely as it’s the more serious offence. I feel this is moving the goalpost. If you had said to me, what happens if a player commits a handball offence, my answer would have been different. It would be irrelevant to the point immediately before the handball which you referenced as an example :)  

Edited by bazil85

45 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

I take your point on not being convinced but we’ve had it at elite level football for almost four years. The tech has existed for decades longer. In my opinion, we have more than enough live example to determine it a failed experiment. But again, this is opinion. 

I agree.  Wholeheartedly.

VAR disrupts the flow of matches, it dampens any euphoria (or despair) felt as we all hang about waiting for a decision made by an anonymous official and it is being constantly revised to accommodate measurements in ever diminishing dimensions.

A fingernail offside?  WGAF?! 

Random deflections, sporting excellence and all the passions generated by pure fitba are all being neutered by a genuflection towards technology.

VAR couldn’t recognise the Beautiful Game however much it was shown and re-shown.  :angry:

18 minutes ago, antrin said:

I agree.  Wholeheartedly.

VAR disrupts the flow of matches, it dampens any euphoria (or despair) felt as we all hang about waiting for a decision made by an anonymous official and it is being constantly revised to accommodate measurements in ever diminishing dimensions.

Random deflections, sporting excellence and all the passions generated by pure fitba are all being neutered by a genuflection towards technology.

VAR couldn’t recognise the Beautiful Game however much it was shown and re-shown.  :angry:

The issue isn’t any longer whether we want VAR or not as the decision has been made. We are getting it. I haven’t attended a live match where it has been used but only seen it used on TV where there are opportunities to look at the incident from different camera angles and at different speeds. Now that the decision has been made I would like to see each club provide replays on large screens in the ground to let fans share the referees view of the events.

2 hours ago, Rascal said:

The issue isn’t any longer whether we want VAR or not as the decision has been made. We are getting it. I haven’t attended a live match where it has been used but only seen it used on TV where there are opportunities to look at the incident from different camera angles and at different speeds. Now that the decision has been made I would like to see each club provide replays on large screens in the ground to let fans share the referees view of the events.

I think I was aware the decision had been made. 

I was merely pointing out that this is yet another reason that I have for growing increasingly disinterested in football.

It’s no longer the game I loved.

it’ll be another century till such large screens are provided.  At least.  They’ll expect you to be looking at your cellphones to watch replays… while the actual game goes on.

it's quite shite.

1 hour ago, antrin said:

I think I was aware the decision had been made. 

I was merely pointing out that this is yet another reason that I have for growing increasingly disinterested in football.

It’s no longer the game I loved.

it’ll be another century till such large screens are provided.  At least.  They’ll expect you to be looking at your cellphones to watch replays… while the actual game goes on.

it's quite shite.

Without the screens I agree.

I appreciate your effort on this but again, you won’t change my opinion with this line of challenge. You’ll maybe have to accept we hold different views? [emoji2369]

If these examples don't convince you then I give up.

1st the penalty, is it? I don't see a trip and the defender is moving away from the player

Then the goal/penalty appeal. [emoji1787]

1 hour ago, Cookie Monster said:

If these examples don't convince you then I give up.

1st the penalty, is it? I don't see a trip and the defender is moving away from the player

Then the goal/penalty appeal. emoji1787.png

They haven’t convinced me, they are incidents in isolation. Best to give up. 

No one is claiming without VAR, wrong decisions happen & VAR does highlight some incidents missed by officials. But for me VAR takes away what makes football the best sport in the world (free flowing nature). That’s a FAR too high price to pay for me, especially when it so often just moves controversy. 

My view comes from observation of VAR for close to four years, I don’t like anyones chances of changing it. 

6 hours ago, antrin said:

VAR disrupts the flow of matches,

it dampens any euphoria (or despair) felt as we all hang about waiting for a decision made by an anonymous official and it is being constantly revised to accommodate measurements in ever diminishing dimensions.

Proof suggests that it doesn't, and the few occasions it takes longer is worth the final decision being correct.

No it doesn't. Have you seen the euphoria when a decision is confirmed? 

I'd suggest every St MIrren supporter would give a fcuk if it was a decision that could cost us an important game in the league or the cup.

9 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Proof suggests that it doesn't, and the few occasions it takes longer is worth the final decision being correct.

No it doesn't. Have you seen the euphoria when a decision is confirmed? 

I'd suggest every St MIrren supporter would give a fcuk if it was a decision that could cost us an important game in the league or the cup.

Non-argument, it would apply equally the other way if we were disadvantaged by VAR, especially on one of the many occasions where it arguably gets the call wrong. 

Proof absolutely does not suggest it doesn’t interrupt the flow of the game. A person just needs to watch the average match with VAR & have a shred of common sense to see this. 

24 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Non-argument, it would apply equally the other way if we were disadvantaged by VAR, especially on one of the many occasions where it arguably gets the call wrong. 

Proof absolutely does not suggest it doesn’t interrupt the flow of the game. A person just needs to watch the average match with VAR & have a shred of common sense to see this. 

So it's fair? :wacko:

There are plenty of things that interrupt the flow of the game.  Have you witnessed recent melee's in games which interrupt the flow of the game much more and longer? 

VAR actually overturns a decision every 3.5 games. 

PS I get you don't like it, however unfounded your reasoning is, but, as has been stated, it's happening so suck it up. :byebye

Edited by faraway saint

39 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Oh, and you bleating on that VAR isn't always right, correct but a whole lot more "right" than referees decisions, so no real argument it doesn't improve the correct decisions. 

With their decision accuracy standing at 97 per cent with VAR, in comparison to 85 per cent without it, it is clear to see why. 

Edited by faraway saint

In the interest of some fairness in this debate it should be mentioned the vast majority of supporters surveyed in England were not a fan of VAR. 
Many swayed by the misconception that it delayed the game, when the average delay is 50 seconds. 

Has there been any surveys recently to see if it is good or bad for the game?

3 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Has there been any surveys recently to see if it is good or bad for the game?

I suppose that depends how you define good or bad.

Good for the increase in the correct decisions, I can't personally see any bad. 

It's been bad for defenders as it seems to have removed the physical contact aspect, not sure plyers with broken limbs would agree. 

Edited by faraway saint

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

So it's fair? :wacko:

There are plenty of things that interrupt the flow of the game.  Have you witnessed recent melee's in games which interrupt the flow of the game much more and longer? 

VAR actually overturns a decision every 3.5 games. 

PS I get you don't like it, however unfounded your reasoning is, but, as has been stated, it's happening so suck it up. :byebye

Whataboutery. An argument about the nature of football is not an argument for VAR 😂

Not unfounded at all, just a different opinion. We know you hate that though :) 

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Oh, and you bleating on that VAR isn't always right, correct but a whole lot more "right" than referees decisions, so no real argument it doesn't improve the correct decisions. 

With their decision accuracy standing at 97 per cent with VAR, in comparison to 85 per cent without it, it is clear to see why. 

My argument wasn’t  regarding improvement of the correct decision. Are you incapable of understanding even the most basic of points? 

Edited by bazil85

Just now, bazil85 said:

Whataboutery. An argument about the nature of football is not an argument for VAR 😂

Not unfounded at all, just a different opinion. We know you hate that though :) 

Being fair is whataboutery? :lol:

I know you don't like facts, as you don't understand them, that's been proven time after time. 

Run along, mummy must be running your bath. :byebye

Rather than have stuff fed into the debate on an ongoing basis this site attempts to sun up the pros and cons of VAR. (Still will only add to the occasion if fans in the stadiums have access to replays being viewed by the referee) https://mastersoccermind.com/pros-and-cons-of-var-use-of-technology-in-soccer/

19 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

My argument wasn’t  regarding improvement of the correct decision. Are you incapable of understanding even the most basic of points? 

Indeed he is!

Surely you must have noticed.

Still… you haven’t tired of baiting him and he just can’t resist responding.