How much longer do we give the manager

On 4/24/2022 at 1:58 AM, djchapsticks said:

End the season a top flight team - give him time to build a side.

Relegated at end of season - gone no questions asked 

This is the half way position for me. It seems reasonable. I wonder if Aberdeen will keep Jim Goodwin if Aberdeen go down?

On 4/23/2022 at 9:25 PM, munoz said:

He deserves a shot with his own signings unless we get relegated. 

We stay up- till Christmas, down - away please. 

This is the correct answer. My only caveat would be is if staying up meant beating Arbroath on penalties in the play off or something, I'm not sure i'd give him till Christmas the season after, Halloween maybe. Tenth or higher and he should get to Christmas.

There is almost zero chance he will be sacked with two or three games to go.

8 minutes ago, Rascal said:

This is the half way position for me. It seems reasonable. I wonder if Aberdeen will keep Jim Goodwin if Aberdeen go down?

You keep going back to this.......Goodwin got the gig at Aberdeen because the previous manager was sacked for under-performing and Goodwin, rightly or wrongly, was seen to be doing a good job with us. Robinson got our job in totally different circumstances and, so far, has made an absolute hash of it.

10 hours ago, Ethan said:

When does the time start for players to take the blame. We have loan players who have no loyalty to us and players wiith an eye for the exit door. Is it the managers fault or has our playing squad chucked it. Robinson clearly identified this when coming to the club and that is why he cannot get a tune out of some of them.

Take Burnley as a current example. Heading for the drop under Dyche , revitalised under an unheard of backroom team.  Dyche is a Burnley legend , but had to be jettisoned in an attempt to save the club's status, and it's working so far. The same may apply to us very shortly !

17 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

You keep going back to this.......Goodwin got the gig at Aberdeen because the previous manager was sacked for under-performing and Goodwin, rightly or wrongly, was seen to be doing a good job with us. Robinson got our job in totally different circumstances and, so far, has made an absolute hash of it.

I am making the point that 3 managers appointed by 3 different clubs DURING this season have their jackets on a shoogly peg. One has already gone at Hibs. The other two are Robinson and Goodwin. The judgement to be made relates solely to their time in their present job. I say this and was a fan of big Jim but if they go down, can you see Aberdeen sticking with him? If you can then surely the same might apply to Robinson, surely. Robinson got the job, I can only assume, because the board felt he was the right man for the job. My guess would be that his success in getting Motherwell into the top six and cup finals featured in their decision making.

Edited by Rascal

1 minute ago, portmahomack saint said:

Are you being serious... you actually think it's possible they would choose to keep him if they go down... 🤣 

I’m saying the same as you. I can’t imagine Aberdeen keeping Goodwin if they go down. 

2 minutes ago, Rascal said:

I am making the point that 3 managers appointed by 3 different clubs DURING this season have their jackets on a shoogly peg. One has already gone at Hibs. The other two are Robinson and Goodwin. The judgement to be made relates solely to their time in their present job. I say this and was a fan of big Jim but if the go down, can you see Aberdeen sticking with him? If you can then surely the same might apply to Robinson, surely

Goodwin is having the same struggles as Glass did with the same squad (they hadn't won a game in 2022)............Robinson has taken a team on form (six wins and a draw in 2022) to losing 8 out of 9 games. You are comparing/judging Apples and Pears.

34 minutes ago, Rascal said:

Why are we discussing Aberdeen? Let me remind you the topic is "General St Mirren Discussion". Away and discuss Aberdeens problems on Other Football.

3 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

Goodwin is having the same struggles as Glass did with the same squad (they hadn't won a game in 2022)............Robinson has taken a team on form (six wins and a draw in 2022) to losing 8 out of 9 games. You are comparing/judging Apples and Pears.

I’m not judging. I’m not calling for either managers heads. Others are.
i was reacting to a suggestion that giving the manager here till the end of the season and then deciding to drop him if we are relegated seems like a middle course to take. I’m not an Aberdeen fan but it appears that there are many calling for him to go if they were to drop down and I was saying that this also seemed like a middle course to take. Jim was a favourite player of mine and will remain that. He did a very decent job with us as manager but he has gone. His fate will be decided elsewhere. SR is our manager for now. Clearly he has a lot to do to win fans onside.

2 minutes ago, hamlet said:

Why are we discussing Aberdeen? Let me remind you the topic is "General St Mirren Discussion". Away and discuss Aberdeens problems on Other Football.

Hamlet. I was discussing SR and in the process saying that 3 teams have taken on managers mid season and that all three have struggled at their new clubs. These being Hibs, Aberdeen and St Mirren. It’s not only SR who is struggling to find winning form with his new club. It matters more to me that he does than what the others do. Of course it does but he is not the only one finding it difficult. You can add Mark McGhee to that list too. Beating St J and Dundee would take the pressure off.

6 minutes ago, Rascal said:

Hamlet. I was discussing SR and in the process saying that 3 teams have taken on managers mid season and that all three have struggled at their new clubs. These being Hibs, Aberdeen and St Mirren. It’s not only SR who is struggling to find winning form with his new club. It matters more to me that he does than what the others do. Of course it does but he is not the only one finding it difficult. You can add Mark McGhee to that list too. Beating St J and Dundee would take the pressure off.

You seem to have a bit of verbal diarrhra. You have missed my point that this part of the forum is about St Mirren. 

I am well aware of other clubs situations without you repeating the obvious. Take your discussions about non St Mirren matters to Other Football. Goodwin has gone so get over it.

8 minutes ago, hamlet said:

You seem to have a bit of verbal diarrhra. You have missed my point that this part of the forum is about St Mirren. 

I am well aware of other clubs situations without you repeating the obvious. Take your discussions about non St Mirren matters to Other Football. Goodwin has gone so get over it.

I am over it. I am supporting the manager appointed by the club. Stephen Robinson. My personal view is that he should stay irrespective of relegation happening or not. Others take a different view and I get that and respect their point of view.

Some want rid of him now. Stating the obvious. My comment was a simple one in that a suggestion was made to give him till the end of the season and if we go down then sack him. This I referred to as the middle road. Others then brought Aberdeen and Morecombe into it and I responded. Shoot me for it, why don’t you?

Edited by Rascal

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, there's also always some fanny who comes up with an alias to try to further their agenda. 🤔

Ooh a fanny am I 🤣🤣🤣

Been called worse...

Alias? So your real name is "faraway saint"? That's not an alias? 

What out of what I've said reeks of an agenda... all I was doing was wondering what people thought of SR Nothing more. If that is an agenda then guilty M'lud 

Methinks you are paranoid lol

32 minutes ago, KMbud1877 said:

Ooh a fanny am I 🤣🤣🤣

Been called worse...

Alias? So your real name is "faraway saint"? That's not an alias? 

What out of what I've said reeks of an agenda... all I was doing was wondering what people thought of SR Nothing more. If that is an agenda then guilty M'lud 

Methinks you are paranoid lol

Did I say YOU were a fanny? 

You clearly referenced me in a previous post but I was just saying in general.

Paranoid, aye, check the mirror. 

Oh, lol is SO yesterday. 😉

Really difficult one for me, it is still an outside chance we’ll get relegated but that changes drastically with a loss in Perth on Saturday. 

A point or win there, give him the first round of fixtures in the new season for me. 

If we lose… I’ll trust the club decision but I wouldn’t be disappointed or surprised if he’s patched. 

22 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Really difficult one for me, it is still an outside chance we’ll get relegated but that changes drastically with a loss in Perth on Saturday. 

A point or win there, give him the first round of fixtures in the new season for me. 

If we lose… I’ll trust the club decision but I wouldn’t be disappointed or surprised if he’s patched. 

Things must be worse than I thought if even you Baz are prepared to drop the guillotine on his head come 5pm Saturday.. was sure you'd be his defense lawyer on here...  scary stuff 

3 hours ago, bringbackobika said:

I think we should let him bring in his own players and keep him going at least until the end of the season. He’s been poor since he came in but at the same point we need to be looking at the players too. We are wasting 
£100K a year on Curtis main’s wages while he has done next to nothing and puts in no effort for the club. Jordan Jones IMO has been shite as well. 
But if we don’t stay up, I think that the only option is to send Robinson out the door along with Fraser Tait and Main.

That cannot be true. He's got one goal to his name in the league this season...

I can't see him turning things around this season based on the fact we are looking worse and worse with each passing week. 

I would like to have seen him get the chance to build his own team over the summer and start fresh. Unfortunately I don't think we can afford to wait till the summer now though.  

We are in free fall at the moment and I think the only way to have a chance of turning it around is to get rid of him now and hope for a slight change in fortune in the last few games. If we don't do something now we are going down. 

For me anyway it's all gone wrong from the minute he decided to go public with players contracts not being renewed, etc. From then onwards it's been a staggering decline in player morale, etc.

Whilst it is easy to point fingers at players down tools, it is quite possible to say they will already have alerted their respective agents to try and find them new clubs for next season.........some may even have by now and not willing to risk a serious injury for a manager like SR.

Whether the board sack him or not now I do think the damage has already been done and possibly irreversible concerning this season.

Bad appointment in the first instance.

6 hours ago, W6er said:

Do you think it's a coincidence that as soon as Robinson walks through the door the players 'chucked it'? Surely that's down to the manager? 

WTF !!!

This is exactly the same squad of players who went 11 games without a win , spanning almost 3 months - in that period we played 3 of the bottom 6 at home,  winning feck all and got turned over by the worst team in the league ( Dundee) and then got f**kin destroyed in sheepland when they scored 4 going on 8 !!!!...

So, are current results good - are they f**k 

Is some of this down to SR - absolutely 

However,  these players have VERY recent history of going on long runs of playing shite..

To say this current run of results is attributed to SR alone is very short sighted ..

Loan players and those out of contract are In some cases already thinking about their next destination. 

Let's hope we can cobble together enough points,  which I believe we will to stay up

SR will be judged after a summer transfer window