St Johnstone v St Mirren, 30/4/22

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

Should probably have a slice of humble pie before I comment further. Can't believe I am writing this but Main had a good game today. Question is why did it take him to long? But he put in a very good shift and was effective unlike the last 9 months.

We were well up for it from the start and dominated the game overall. A better final pass could have made the score a lot more comfortable. Our best performance under Robinson. The change today was down to formation and personnel changes. 2 strikers with Kiltie playing off them (by far his best position). Ronan playing deeper and dominated the midfield. No wingers meaning more competitive in the midfield. Far better formation that suited the players. Kiltie, Gogic, Greive and Main all deserve a special mention. Well done.

No need to eat humble pie. I think that most of us felt similarly about Main. Main, Gocic, Killie and Ronan and the human Dynamo that is Grieve all had a good game as you say. Main was my choice of motm but any one of these might have been others choice.

4 hours ago, renfrew156 said:

I must admit I thought we would lose today, so credit to the team for winning.

I guess we are stuck with Stephen Robinson so we will have to wait and see

what happens when he has underwent a close season and has built his own squad.

I remain unconvinced and accordingly we have to set our expectations for the coming season

to not be aiming for top six.

So, based on your belief that SR isn't " convincing " and we are " stuck with him "  as our Manager you have decided to temper next seasons expectations to us NOT  be top 6

🤔🤔🤔

Perplexing- as we have never ever been top 6 since the conception of the split so mystifying that you feel the need to downgrade SR before the season starts  when NO other Manager had ever delivered this 

🥴🥴🥴

5 hours ago, bazil85 said:

We are playing one of the worst teams in the league, we are marginally better. Since we scored, it absolutely highlights my point. We have had about three or four situations where we have had more forward players than they’ve had defenders and nothing.

Game should have been killed two or three times over. Instead we are giving them every opportunity to get back into it. 

Absolutely priceless 🤣🤣🤣

Your " point " was that the players had chucked it and weren't trying for their Manager. 

I get it ,a simple guy with an agenda who wants to vilify the Manager - problem was the players to a man bust a gut and mugged you off in the process ...

As opposed to owing it and maybe apologising you instead attempt to change tact and now say the players aren't good enough and that we should have win by more .

🙈🙈🙈🙈

Embarrassing 

Another excellent interview from Robinson.

The players haven't kicked their own arses for the past few weeks and were quite rightly told to improve.. Big improvement today, and they were quite rightly praised.

Only bettered by Tait's interview where he said, with reference to Main, "It was like having a hippopotamus up front". :lol:

hippo-animal.gif

Edited by FTOF

Just now, FTOF said:

Another excellent interview from Robinson.

The players haven't kicked their own arses for the past few weeks and were quite rightly told to improve.. Big improvement today, and they were quite rightly praised.

It’s alll about getting over the line and I honestly didn’t think we would win another league game after he slated the players after the well game, they deserved it but it’s a risky tactic with soo many players out of contract and us not mathematically safe.

Now we are as good as safe i actually think Robinson will build a decent team for next season.

4 minutes ago, JJ McG said:

It’s alll about getting over the line and I honestly didn’t think we would win another league game after he slated the players after the well game, they deserved it but it’s a risky tactic with soo many players out of contract and us not mathematically safe.

Now we are as good as safe i actually think Robinson will build a decent team for next season.

TBH I'm not sure what was wrong with telling every out of contract player that they were effectively playing for a contract until the end of the season. Why would you honour a contract offer which was made from a manager who jumped ship as soon as he could?

I'm fed up hearing managers making excuses or papering over the cracks when there have been shit performances from players. We heard plenty of that between August and December.

6 minutes ago, FTOF said:

TBH I'm not sure what was wrong with telling every out of contract player that they were effectively playing for a contract until the end of the season. Why would you honour a contract offer which was made from a manager who jumped ship as soon as he could?

I'm fed up hearing managers making excuses or papering over the cracks when there have been shit performances from players. We heard plenty of that between August and December.

Jim was a club legend who rightly took an opportunity to move up the football food chain when the opportunity arose. I have no problem with that. He wasn’t a supporter, he was an ex player and the manager, not a fan.

What SR did do when he took over it seems was to be honest with the players about their future. He has been criticised for that. A risk certainly given the timing. 

It’s taken time for the penny to drop with the players and fans that he isn’t going anywhere, anytime soon and that the work rate had to improve. He got that today v St Johnstone and I hope will do again in the remaining games. 

No need to eat humble pie. I think that most of us felt similarly about Main. Main, Gocic, Killie and Ronan and the human Dynamo that is Grieve all had a good game as you say. Main was my choice of motm but any one of these might have been others choice.

I thought Main was excellent today, definitely his best game for us.

May not be a popular viewpoint, but I believe SR will prove to be a good appointment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, CraigyBoy said:

Absolutely priceless 🤣🤣🤣

Your " point " was that the players had chucked it and weren't trying for their Manager. 

I get it ,a simple guy with an agenda who wants to vilify the Manager - problem was the players to a man bust a gut and mugged you off in the process ...

As opposed to owing it and maybe apologising you instead attempt to change tact and now say the players aren't good enough and that we should have win by more .

🙈🙈🙈🙈

Embarrassing 

St Johnstone are the second worst team in the league. Relegation candidates, we beat them 1-0 with practically our only decent chance at goal. 

I get your attempt here, but you’re having a nightmare. The players had a shocker, not good enough, not invested enough. 

It’s ‘embarrassing’ you think it has to be one or other. 

5 hours ago, bazil85 said:

St Johnstone are the second worst team in the league. Relegation candidates, we beat them 1-0 with practically our only decent chance at goal. 

I get your attempt here, but you’re having a nightmare. The players had a shocker, not good enough, not invested enough. 

It’s ‘embarrassing’ you think it has to be one or other. 

I only watched the highlights but this post is utter drivel.

We were, surprisingly for me, the much better side, created more chances and were comfortably the better team. 

Aye, St Johnstone are 2nd bottom but had been on a better run of form than a few of the bottom six, or doesn't that suit your consistent "viewpoint "?

Until yesterday most people shared your opinion but most people would admit we stepped up yesterday and the players and the manager deserve credit. 

It's embarrassing you can't admit that. 

The players definitely lifted their game yesterday and it was a mixture of relief, surprise and joy that we got the result.

They finally put in a performance similar to how they were playing on the good run under Goodwin, a big part of it being really solid at the back. It has taken  Robinson too long to get them ticking, probably due to his different style of man management and his formation but the players need to shoulder some of the blame. They turned it around and were excellent. 

His interviews after some of the defeats have been really poor too, but credit to him and the team for stepping up to the plate against the fakes. We picked up nearly every second ball in midfield and looked more assured at the back again. Tactics, formation and effort all spot on. We are normally terrible at Perth too but they definitely wanted it more which should be a big worry for St J fans. 

Goodwin signed Main who has been woeful, but it’s interesting that it’s Robinson that finally got the best out of him. I’m quite optimistic about the team that he might build next season, even if “The Hippo” is part of it.

Hopefully this is the turning point that most of us didn’t see coming.  A few more wins and climbing a couple of places in the league for prize money and momentum would be perfect now. We are now looking forward to another season in the topflight with time for the new manager to build his own team. 

3 minutes ago, Balmullo Bud said:

The players definitely lifted their game yesterday and it was a mixture of relief, surprise and joy that we got the result.

They finally put in a performance similar to how they were playing on the good run under Goodwin, a big part of it being really solid at the back. It has taken  Robinson too long to get them ticking, probably due to his different style of man management and his formation but the players need to shoulder some of the blame. They turned it around and were excellent. 

His interviews after some of the defeats have been really poor too, but credit to him and the team for stepping up to the plate against the fakes. We picked up nearly every second ball in midfield and looked more assured at the back again. Tactics, formation and effort all spot on. We are normally terrible at Perth too but they definitely wanted it more which should be a big worry for St J fans. 

Goodwin signed Main who has been woeful, but it’s interesting that it’s Robinson that finally got the best out of him. I’m quite optimistic about the team that he might build next season, even if “The Hippo” is part of it.

Hopefully this is the turning point that most of us didn’t see coming.  A few more wins and climbing a couple of places in the league for prize money and momentum would be perfect now. We are now looking forward to another season in the topflight with time for the new manager to build his own team. 

A fair and balanced summary. 

One win doesn't make us world beaters but its a positive sign that most, but not all, will be hoping we can build on.

Looking forward to next week, been a wee while since that's been the case. 

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

I only watched the highlights but this post is utter drivel.

We were, surprisingly for me, the much better side, created more chances and were comfortably the better team. 

Aye, St Johnstone are 2nd bottom but had been on a better run of form than a few of the bottom six, or doesn't that suit your consistent "viewpoint "?

Until yesterday most people shared your opinion but most people would admit we stepped up yesterday and the players and the manager deserve credit. 

It's embarrassing you can't admit that. 

You literally admitted in the first sentence to not watching the game. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I agree with Balmullo's summing-up of the game. Yes, the players and manager did better yesterday, but before we get carried away with the relief of almost ensuring that we won't go down, we should note that St. Johnstone played a big part in their own downfall. For example, notice how far Gogic was allowed to run with the ball before his pass to Greive which led to our goal. They didn't look like a team with much confidence in themselves or their system, and after we scored they didn't show much fight to get back into the game. I'm sure we only got away with three at the back because St. Johnstone did very little to counter it. Might be a different story against a team with a plan and some real effort to push up against us. 

So, while we were much better yesterday than we have been recently, we should really have won by more than just the one goal. We still have some way to go before we can start thinking we are an established Premiership team, as we could for a while last season and in the earlier part of this season.

SR will be carrying out a full rebuild in the summer. Will be interesting to see where we are around October/November.