St Johnstone v St Mirren, 30/4/22

We have started the rebuild with Baccus, O'Hara and Carson. Does this fill me with confidence for next season? Not yet. 

We really need pace and quality so will be interesting how he shapes a team going forward. 

Great result yesterday but it is only a start. 

Bit early to speculate about next season however yesterday's formation and tactics shows promise.

We were far more attacking than we have been all season. We got the ball up the pitch constantly with few pass backs. Only once that I can remember the ball ending up back at Alnwick when players ran out of ideas (and that was from Fraser). Getting rid of two wingers was also a great move. All season we have played with two wide men so wide they were rarely in the game; didn't support the midfield; and never got close enough to support the lone striker and usually hit hopeful crosses to the far corner flag. Yesterday we were hitting low balls into the box which are far, far more effective. And playing with one defensive midfielder and one creative central midfielder gave us more fight and thrust in the middle of the park with Ronan dictating play (contrary to what others say). And of course two strikers with Kiltie playing off them made us far more attacking and kept the ball up the park a lot more than usual.

So the formation and tactics were a huge plus for me. A far more effective and entertaining way to play football. Just need the right players to carry it off next season.

It’s amazing the difference a couple of player changes make - shape of the team looked much better yesterday and as a result the defence looked much more solid. I’ve never really been convinced that Power & Gogic together works and thought Gogic had his best game in a Saints jersey yesterday in centre mid. This let Ronan do his thing and would love it if we could somehow hang onto him for another season - cracking player.  Robbo went for two up top and fair play to him he has managed to get something out of Main that none of us saw coming. Kiltie coming back in gives us that bit extra going forward as he links well between midfield and attack. Be interesting to see how Robbo shapes the squad for next season but at least we finally delivered when it mattered.

17 hours ago, RichardBuddie said:

This referee today, I honestly don’t know how he’s in the job - really is a sight to see!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great to get a result, horrific performance by the fakes but that has to be the worst performance by a referee I have seen in a while. Fair enough there weren't many major calls to make but got nearly every other decision wrong and just think VAR wouldn't have made a difference to any of them. Should be reported for incompetence along with the linesmen. Think the refs sponsors should be trying to terminate their contract for tarnishing their name.

I watched the game again on BBC Alba. Excellent build up and an excellent goal well made by Gocic and Grieve and finished by Kiltie. A much better shape, much higher tempo. Main was quite simply a revelation. Chased every ball, challenged strongly and both held the ball and spread play. 

To say I was astounded by Main's performance is an understatement. It was so much the polar opposite from anything I've seen from him I had to pause and look to ensure it was the same person. What we saw of him yesterday was a player and a tireless worker who appeared filled with confidence. He tracked back. He led the line. He competed.

I could say the same for a lot of the players on the park.

Either there has been a real heart to heart, open discussion in the dressing room or the stories of what came before were, after all, exaggerated.

I'm not going to pick a MotM as I saw quite a few who could have stolen the show.

A big well done guys but let's make sure the Saintees can't arithmetically catch us then we can truly judge the manager when he has his players to choose from.

As for the opposition. It's true to say you can only play who is put in front of you but, if I were a Saintees fan, I would be watching the next possibly five games through open fingers. What could have been a pivotal game at home for them and not a shot on target? Wow!

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

I did watch the game yes, that’s what my view is based on. 

What you did was give it big licks after about 15mins that the players weren't trying for the manager & had given up.

No bigger insult can you label against any professional..

It was obviously a  premeditated post - which was totally baseless and made you look like complete tool as the whole team did the exact opposite of what you apparently witnessed 😳 🙄 

I am more than happy to hear opposing views and debate Is healthy..

However, someone who seems incapable of tying his own shoelaces whilst posting absolute shite to fit another agenda 🤷🤷

As I said yesterday 

f**kin embarrassing 

1 hour ago, CraigyBoy said:

What you did was give it big licks after about 15mins that the players weren't trying for the manager & had given up.

No bigger insult can you label against any professional..

It was obviously a  premeditated post - which was totally baseless and made you look like complete tool as the whole team did the exact opposite of what you apparently witnessed 😳 🙄 

I am more than happy to hear opposing views and debate Is healthy..

However, someone who seems incapable of tying his own shoelaces whilst posting absolute shite to fit another agenda 🤷🤷

As I said yesterday 

f**kin embarrassing 

For weeks now many of these players have chucked it and not looked interested. 

Yesterday was no different for me. We got a 1-0 win over a rank rotten St Johnstone team. Great, job done for the season and we get the passengers out in the summer.  

Sorry but you’re talking utter bollocks about premeditated posts & it absolutely was not baseless. 

I will defend players to the hilt if they are giving 100% and leaving it all on the park. That isn’t what we seen yesterday or for weeks now.

You can cry, moan and insult about my view on this all you want but you don’t have the capacity to change it. 👍

Edited by bazil85

For weeks now many of these players have chucked it and not looked interested. 

Yesterday was no different for me. We got a 1-0 win over a rank rotten St Johnstone team. Great, job done for the season and we get the passengers out in the summer.  

Sorry but you’re talking utter bollocks about premeditated posts & it absolutely was not baseless. 

I will defend players to the hilt if they are giving 100% and leaving it all on the park. That isn’t what we seen yesterday or for weeks now.

You can cry, moan and insult about my view on this all you want but you don’t have the capacity to change it. [emoji106]
[emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23][emoji1787]

2 hours ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Are you the St Moan main cheerleader now?

Oh god no, there are plenty of people on here with decades of experience of all things St Moan negative.

I feel there are quite a few that only see it two ways, St Moan/ knicker wetters or happy clappers. 

For me, it’s about trying to stay positive but there are times where performances on the park & situations at the club deserve criticism. Recent form and some attitudes an example. 

10 hours ago, Balmullo Bud said:

The players definitely lifted their game yesterday and it was a mixture of relief, surprise and joy that we got the result.

They finally put in a performance similar to how they were playing on the good run under Goodwin, a big part of it being really solid at the back. It has taken  Robinson too long to get them ticking, probably due to his different style of man management and his formation but the players need to shoulder some of the blame. They turned it around and were excellent. 

His interviews after some of the defeats have been really poor too, but credit to him and the team for stepping up to the plate against the fakes. We picked up nearly every second ball in midfield and looked more assured at the back again. Tactics, formation and effort all spot on. We are normally terrible at Perth too but they definitely wanted it more which should be a big worry for St J fans. 

Goodwin signed Main who has been woeful, but it’s interesting that it’s Robinson that finally got the best out of him. I’m quite optimistic about the team that he might build next season, even if “The Hippo” is part of it.

Hopefully this is the turning point that most of us didn’t see coming.  A few more wins and climbing a couple of places in the league for prize money and momentum would be perfect now. We are now looking forward to another season in the topflight with time for the new manager to build his own team. 

Got to say this was down to SR being brave and making a key change. I commented I was worried about midfield. I did not see Ronnan falling back into a more central role in the team sheet and was confused. However his passing with Grogics energy was superb. Curtis and Alex were a pest up front. SR got it right and I liked what I saw yesterday. 

21 hours ago, CraigyBoy said:

So, based on your belief that SR isn't " convincing " and we are " stuck with him "  as our Manager you have decided to temper next seasons expectations to us NOT  be top 6

🤔🤔🤔

Perplexing- as we have never ever been top 6 since the conception of the split so mystifying that you feel the need to downgrade SR before the season starts  when NO other Manager had ever delivered this 

🥴🥴🥴

as sure as the klinkers in my arse Stephen Robinson will NOT get us to Top six next season.

Oh god no, there are plenty of people on here with decades of experience of all things St Moan negative.

I feel there are quite a few that only see it two ways, St Moan/ knicker wetters or happy clappers. 

For me, it’s about trying to stay positive but there are times where performances on the park & situations at the club deserve criticism. Recent form and some attitudes an example. 
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, exiledfan said:

Got to say this was down to SR being brave and making a key change. I commented I was worried about midfield. I did not see Ronnan falling back into a more central role in the team sheet and was confused. However his passing with Grogics energy was superb. Curtis and Alex were a pest up front. SR got it right and I liked what I saw yesterday. 

Ronan's passing was absolutely rotten yesterday.