Welcome Keanu Baccus

WSW supporter here, thought i'd pop in and give a little run down on Keanu Baccus. 

Baccus is a very respected player within the Wanderers fanbase, earning himself the nickname "Parklea Messi", having amassed over 110 appearances across 6 seasons (usually a 26/27 game season). He has scored 6 goals and provided 10 assists across his senior career, mostly playing as a central defensive midfielder. Earlier in his career, he would play at right back, and at times over the last 2 seasons, he would be deployed as an attacking midfielder. This season he has performed well alongside midfield partner and former England international Jack Rodwell.

Pros:

- Very hard working, doesn't stop running for 90 minutes.

- Young leader.

- Physical player despite his skinnier build, breaks up play well.

- Probably his best attribute, always looks to advance the ball forward.

- Decent long balls, for example (go to 2:29 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phOeSq3EIa8).

- Decent long shots, think 4 of his 6 goals are from outside the box, for example, here are 2 against Melbourne Victory and Newcastle Jets (1:27 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaoaA8FOOE0&t=22s) (1:50 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PivHLZIa9p4&t=95s).

- Quite creative. Has a very nice through ball, see his assists against Leeds United and Adelaide for example (3:58 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYZM5j8maRw) (0:50 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IANz5wMP_AQ&t=25s).

Cons:

- Sometimes loses the ball in dangerous areas of the pitch. Hasn't happened as much if at all from memory this season, used to happen a fair bit.

- Will occasionally give away some really cheap, silly fouls in bad areas of the pitch.

- Not the best with his back to goal, this contributes to him losing the ball in bad areas and exposes the team to counter attacks.

- Not the best aerially, however did score a header in a recent "Sydney Derby" (3:11 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3akmhG2iqY).

Summary: Overall, he is a really solid young player with a lot of potential, still a fair bit to improve on. Hoping he is able to show his class to the Black and White Army, and that he continues to develop into a top player. Will be keeping a close eye on how he and St Mirren perform this upcoming season, might even have to get myself a Baccus St Mirren jersey.

Edited by thewswpost

• 4 weeks later...

Another WSW fan thought I'd add some other bits.

You've got a gem of a player and more so a person. I've had the good fortune of meeting him a couple of times and he is one of the nicest people you could meet he is very quitely spoken but total genuine person with no ego.

He still turns up at old junior club and will help coach the young kids.

He is always first win or lose to acknowledge fans home and away.

Some of my fellow WSW fans have a pub trivia team named in his honour and he turned up and played, his Trivia isn't fantastic but he did ok on film.

Posts' onfield assesment is pretty accurate. One trait Id add is he never goes missing he's always looking for the ball and to turn and go forward and he'll run his arse off for you when you don't have the ball 

He deserves his shot overseas and hopefully it's a big success for him he deserves it for years of hard work coming through the Wanderers junior system

So look after him he's a good un 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/26/2022 at 2:40 PM, Stringerbellend said:

Another WSW fan thought I'd add some other bits.

You've got a gem of a player and more so a person. I've had the good fortune of meeting him a couple of times and he is one of the nicest people you could meet he is very quitely spoken but total genuine person with no ego.

He still turns up at old junior club and will help coach the young kids.

He is always first win or lose to acknowledge fans home and away.

Some of my fellow WSW fans have a pub trivia team named in his honour and he turned up and played, his Trivia isn't fantastic but he did ok on film.

Posts' onfield assesment is pretty accurate. One trait Id add is he never goes missing he's always looking for the ball and to turn and go forward and he'll run his arse off for you when you don't have the ball 

He deserves his shot overseas and hopefully it's a big success for him he deserves it for years of hard work coming through the Wanderers junior system

So look after him he's a good un 

Thanks for the input. Look forward to seeing him join up.

• 3 weeks later...

Two weeks on from the official announcement and two months on from the pre-contract announced .  What’s the hold up ? 
Have the club given us an update which I’ve missed ?  He had the clearance from our side and initially they said he was waiting on Visa clearance but Surely that process would have started at pre-contract ? 

Anyone heard ? 

16 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Two weeks on from the official announcement and two months on from the pre-contract announced .  What’s the hold up ? 
Have the club given us an update which I’ve missed ?  He had the clearance from our side and initially they said he was waiting on Visa clearance but Surely that process would have started at pre-contract ? 

Anyone heard ? 

I doubt it's straight forward when your not dealing with an established international player. I'm sure it's just timing and all is good. 

15 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Anyone heard ? 

There seems to be massive delays in processing visas. Foreign signings by other clubs have also not had theirs granted yet and aren't able to play for their clubs either.

So, basically, it's the Tories fault, the kunts.

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Cheer chaps 👍 

Hopefully we’ll see him in stripes soon.    Strange that Ryan Strains move seems to have gone a lot quicker , perhaps because he was already playing outside Oz ? 

I also think Ryan was born in England so likely got UK citizenship.