4 Day Week

faraway saint

16 hours ago, faraway saint said:

3 weeks for the manager to produce this questionnaire, aye, 3 weeks.

Anyhow, they stated that the holidays would change from the current 30 days to 24.

This, for many, was a shock but it still equals the same holiday entitlement in hours.

As we only need 4 days for a weeks holiday this still equates to 6 weeks holiday annually. 

I had to explain this to a few guys yesterday as there was no attempt to explain it on the questionnaire, deliberate, well, possibly. 

I'm sure there will be more uncertainty today, I need to reassure anyone who's still uncertain, having Friday off has lot's of benefits, more so with the current cost of fuel, a saving of 20% is considerable over a year. 

Had an interesting 15 minute conversation with a wee Polish worker.

His immediate response was "No, less holidays, no".

My experience in working with Saudi apprentices came in handy, my pigeon English and several short "sums" eventually got the point over to him.

Phew, another convert. 

Aye, there's a "stating the obvious" thread somewhere for this but thanks anyway. :wacko:
Your "it's still 6 weeks" bit was even more obvious yet you say you had to explain it to people. I hope, after you questioning the reason for the company's non-explanation, that you explained the cons of a four day week to those same people, as well as the pros.

4 day weeks can also effect things like sick pay ,unpaid leave for emergencies, etc (depending on your company's policies on those matters). It's not as simple as just saying you get the same number of weeks holidays.

What if your company said you can have your 4 day week and you can get Wednesday off?

Had an interesting 15 minute conversation with a wee Polish worker.
His immediate response was "No, less holidays, no".
My experience in working with Saudi apprentices came in handy, my pigeon English and several short "sums" eventually got the point over to him.
Phew, another convert. 

Pidgin, not pigeon. Here to help.

9 hours ago, Slarti said:

Your "it's still 6 weeks" bit was even more obvious yet you say you had to explain it to people. I hope, after you questioning the reason for the company's non-explanation, that you explained the cons of a four day week to those same people, as well as the pros.

4 day weeks can also effect things like sick pay ,unpaid leave for emergencies, etc (depending on your company's policies on those matters). It's not as simple as just saying you get the same number of weeks holidays
What if your company said you can have your 4 day week and you can get Wednesday off?

You make a good point regarding HR issues and these should certainly be considered before implementation as for which day off it is likely an organisation in the industrial sector would prefer consecutive days rather than a break in the middle assuming it is generally closed/greatly reduced capacity at the weekend so Friday or Monday most likely days but I'm sure that will have been part of the discussion particularly if like @faraway saint colleagues finish earlier on a Friday currently.

25 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

You make a good point regarding HR issues and these should certainly be considered before implementation as for which day off it is likely an organisation in the industrial sector would prefer consecutive days rather than a break in the middle assuming it is generally closed/greatly reduced capacity at the weekend so Friday or Monday most likely days but I'm sure that will have been part of the discussion particularly if like @faraway saint colleagues finish earlier on a Friday currently.

Friday.

Stated in the first few posts on this thread.

Don't tell Slarti, he'll come up with 230 weird "what if's", along with 453 misspelled words, missed apostrophes and the wrong size of full stops. 

Edited by faraway saint

10 hours ago, Slarti said:

4 day weeks can also effect things like sick pay ,unpaid leave for emergencies, etc (depending on your company's policies on those matters). It's not as simple as just saying you get the same number of weeks holidays.

What if the sky fell down?

😴

You make a good point regarding HR issues and these should certainly be considered before implementation as for which day off it is likely an organisation in the industrial sector would prefer consecutive days rather than a break in the middle assuming it is generally closed/greatly reduced capacity at the weekend so Friday or Monday most likely days but I'm sure that will have been part of the discussion particularly if like [mention=2846]faraway saint[/mention] colleagues finish earlier on a Friday currently.
I'm aware of the last part, I was just pointing out that the company could accept part of it but not all of it.

Friday.
Don't tell Slarti, he'll come up with 230 weird "what if's", along with 453 misspelled words, missed apostrophes and the wrong size of full stops. 
I know YOU said Friday, but what if the company wanted it to be Wednesday?

Which of my "what ifs" have been weird so far?

If you are putting a proposal to people, the spelling and grammar should be correct, otherwise they might be voting for something that you didn't intend them to be voting for.

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Friday.

What happens with Public Holidays? I worked a 4 day week in a job a while ago and I think it all got a bit confusing when working out entitlement to public holidays, especially on the occasions when it fell on a Friday (your non-working day) for example Christmas, Easter, New Year etc.

1 minute ago, ianmac said:

What happens with Public Holidays? I worked a 4 day week in a job a while ago and I think it all got a bit confusing when working out entitlement to public holidays, especially on the occasions when it fell on a Friday (your non-working day) for example Christmas, Easter, New Year etc.

I'm not really sure, I'd imagine they would carry over onto the following Monday etc just as it does if it falls on a weekend, but that's for the company to work out. 

Easter isn't on our list of public holidays, so it's only the Christmas/New Year holidays to worry about. 

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I'm not really sure, I'd imagine they would carry over onto the following Monday etc just as it does if it falls on a weekend, but that's for the company to work out. 

Easter isn't on our list of public holidays, so it's only the Christmas/New Year holidays to worry about. 

I don't remember exactly what my previous employer did but I have a feeling they lumped all the statuary public holidays and the regular holidays into one pool and then took off the days you needed for the public holidays as the occurred which might work out ok with Friday public holidays.

I worked in an office job which did not require me to there at specific days, so my employer was quite flexible about which 4 days I worked. That meant I could take a Friday as my day off one week and a Monday off the following week so that I could get a long weekend sometimes.

1 hour ago, ianmac said:

I don't remember exactly what my previous employer did but I have a feeling they lumped all the statuary public holidays and the regular holidays into one pool and then took off the days you needed for the public holidays as the occurred which might work out ok with Friday public holidays.

I worked in an office job which did not require me to there at specific days, so my employer was quite flexible about which 4 days I worked. That meant I could take a Friday as my day off one week and a Monday off the following week so that I could get a long weekend sometimes.

Just checked with a manufacturing company who already work the 4 day week, public holidays that fall on the Friday do carry over to the Monday.  

That's what I thought as you wouldn't lose out no matter what the working week consisted of. 

35 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Just checked with a manufacturing company who already work the 4 day week, public holidays that fall on the Friday do carry over to the Monday.  

That's what I thought as you wouldn't lose out no matter what the working week consisted of. 

That sounds good. I cannot remember exactly what happened in my case but I am sure it was not as simple as that,

The way I done it when managing for those on 4 day weeks was just do their holidays in hours as opposed to days. They would have 25 days (175 hours) plus 8 Bank Holidays (56 hours) = 231 Total hours. A condensed working day would generally be 8.75hrs.

If a public holiday fell on a non working day, then they would have the holiday entitlement in their annual allowance to take whenever they want, however if it fell on a working day they would get 8.75 hours deducted from their working day.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, Tam M said:

The way I done it when managing for those on 4 day weeks was just do their holidays in hours as opposed to days. They would have 25 days (175 hours) plus 8 Bank Holidays (56 hours) = 231 Total hours. A condensed working day would generally be 8.75hrs.

If a public holiday fell on a non working day, then they would have the holiday entitlement in their annual allowance to take whenever they want, however if it fell on a working day they would get 8.75 hours deducted from their working day.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

I've been keeping a record of my holidays this years in hours as, currently, we have three different length of days, 8.5 hours, 8 hours and 4.5 hours.

Moving from a 5 day week to 4, maintaining the same amount of hours, won't change the hourly entitlement so the same format can continue, it'll just be more hours for each day, 9.5 hours and one day at 9 hours., while needing less days for a weeks holiday. 

It really isn't rocket science, despite our management team trying to make it more difficult than need be. 

• 4 weeks later...

So, after hearing the square root of feck all for weeks I paid my manager a visit yesterday.

It became apparent after a few minutes he had given this not one minutes thought since a month ago.

I put this to him and he was less than pleased, blurting out he had other things to concentrate on.

Aye ok.

So, lo and behold today he came down and said he had spoken to the few who were against it and it's going ahead, starting in October.

Quite why it couldn't start in September is beyond me but I'll take what's been offered.

The mood in the workforce was "overjoyed" and we are all looking forward to either working overtime on a Friday instead of a Saturday or a 3 day weekend.

Well done. :happyclapper

Edited by faraway saint

• 1 month later...