OPEN LETTER TO THE BOARD AND ANYONE ELSE

Maybe the ultimate solution is to make old firm games optional for the family stand season ticket.  Currently many fans choose not to expose their family members to the hatred and  nonsense that the scum bring, but they are paying for it anyway.  If you get a discount for those 1-3 visits then that might suit many fans and they are not displaced on an involuntary basis.  Anyone who chooses to take the old firm games should be able to pick their own seats in the main stand

52 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Nah it's certainly more than a few dozen. Anyway, let's hope for transparency. The results of the survey should be published in full and then along with an explanation of why the decision to continue to give them two stands has been made.  Not sure what we need a survey for right enough. Surely a simple yes or no question would suffice...? 

It's clear what is happening is the club knows that the majority of fans want the OF to have one stand only. However, the board and the chairman want to continue to give them two. There's now gerrymandering and spin going on before they inevitably announce the unpopular decision. My guess is we will get a mealy mouthed statement in the next few weeks along the lines of:

' The results of the survey were mixed and we appreciate that some fans have strong feelings about this. However, due to the current financial climate the board has decided to continue to offer Rangers and Celtic two stands for the coming season'

Hope i'm wrong!

I’ve found on this website I am often on the other side of what might be viewed as a consensus, especially when it comes to SMISA votes. Consistently though, when votes have happened, I’m generally on the side of a significant voting majority. In summary I certainly don’t see anything is clear & that view isn’t based on anything other than vocal fans (many of which moan about practically all things St Mirren)

In fact, I think VAR was the first vote I’ve cast which came out on the other side. 

I don’t know what the results would be but I certainly would not be surprised if people put the income generation above empty seats. I see it as very much cut nose to spite face. For me as well, all it will mean is more bigot fans in home ends as we have seen before. 

There is an argument for yes or no & who knows, maybe that will be part of the survey. But again for me, more information we have is king to make an informed decision & a decision that can be readily explained. Acting on a yes or no as well does not offer potential alternatives or give an idea of difficult decisions should the income be cut. This decision could be the difference between top flight football & relegation. 

5 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

Maybe the ultimate solution is to make old firm games optional for the family stand season ticket.  Currently many fans choose not to expose their family members to the hatred and  nonsense that the scum bring, but they are paying for it anyway.  If you get a discount for those 1-3 visits then that might suit many fans and they are not displaced on an involuntary basis.  Anyone who chooses to take the old firm games should be able to pick their own seats in the main stand

That’s already what we do. Family stand tickets don’t include the Glasgow derby clubs. They have to buy a ticket separately in the other stands. The ticket represents a discounted rate as they don’t get these games. 

I'd be interested in how many of the family stand ticket holders would make it compulsory to include the 3/4 games we could play at home against the two glasgow based clubs.

3 hours ago, TopCat said:

Anecdotal i know, but i can count on one hand the amount of St Mirren fans i've spoken to in person and/or online who support giving them two stands. Just need to look at this thread or any of the other various platforms to see that the vast majority who are active on social media are against it. Why don't we put it to a SMISA vote, and then publish the results? That's surely the most democratic and transparent way.

I think we know the answer to why they won't do that, because it will show overwhelming support for cutting them back to one stand ( i guess at least 80/20) and that would go against the wishes of those running the club.

FWIW i'm not that bothered about the one or two stand thing, there's clearly arguments for and against and i don't have strong feelings either way. It's very clear a lot of very loyal fans do though. 

I imagine the money raised annually by SMISA is less than the additional money we make from the extra stand. What do you suggest we cut back on? A player? Community activities? We'll need to save the money somehow. 

8 minutes ago, W6er said:

I imagine the money raised annually by SMISA is less than the additional money we make from the extra stand. What do you suggest we cut back on? A player? Community activities? We'll need to save the money somehow. 

There are workable alternatives W6er and my favourite, if we are going to give space in both Stands would be to divide the family stand into two sections open to family groups only with one section each. Would still raise money and show an example perhaps through good behaviour by all concerned.

7 minutes ago, Rascal said:

There are workable alternatives W6er and my favourite, if we are going to give space in both Stands would be to divide the family stand into two sections open to family groups only with one section each. Would still raise money and show an example perhaps through good behaviour by all concerned.

Just to clarify, you are proposing that the Family Stand is shared by supporters of both clubs when we play the Old Firm?

9 minutes ago, Rascal said:

Did you see the young **** (who should have been in school) in Seville belting out the party songs with their mums and dads?

Just what we need in beside our good clean living families!!

4 minutes ago, W6er said:

Just to clarify, you are proposing that the Family Stand is shared by supporters of both clubs when we play the Old Firm?

I am suggesting that this is a better alternative than moving our fans from there and I like the idea of being able to coexist alongside others, particularly at the level of young fans and for us to lead by example.

Edited by Rascal

1 minute ago, Rascal said:

I am suggesting that this is a better alternative than moving our fans from there and I like the idea of being able to coexist alongside others, particularly at the level of young fans and for us to lead by example.

Do you think we could re-educate them in 90 minute sessions two or three times a year?

I am a bit ambivalent about giving them a second stand. Money or high moral ground?

I chose not go to the last Rangers game. I am a West Stand season ticket holder and really detest the atmosphere before, during and after the games when they come.

1 minute ago, ianmac said:

Do you think we could re-educate them in 90 minute sessions two or three times a year?

I am a bit ambivalent about giving them a second stand. Money or high moral ground?

I chose not go to the last Rangers game. I am a West Stand season ticket holder and really detest the atmosphere before, during and after the games when they come.

Ian Mac. I am also a west stand ticket holder. Like you, I have no time for some of the behaviour on view before, during or after the games. Do I think we can re-educate people in 90 minutes? No. Do I believe that this might be a start within the wider community? Yes

11 minutes ago, Rascal said:

Ian Mac. I am also a west stand ticket holder. Like you, I have no time for some of the behaviour on view before, during or after the games. Do I think we can re-educate people in 90 minutes? No. Do I believe that this might be a start within the wider community? Yes

I admire your optimism about re-education.

I do think what you suggest may be a reasonable compromise. I am sure they would fill their half of the stand. Not sure about our half. I would not take my kids (too old) or grandkids.

Edited by ianmac

As a fan owned club, SMISA reps on the board must be mandated to vote in line with members instructions.  This should include the chairman.  If not, why not?

If anything goes against the wishes of the majority then there are many ways to incapacitate any board of directors where you hold 51% of the voting rights.

Or finally, follow the lead of the above poster and don't go to OF games.  If a substantial number of ST holders stay away the board will have to properly address the issue as it should be in the press.  If all SMISA members stay away it definitely will.  

I stopped attending OF matches as soon as the 2 stand thing started.  In fact I'm thinking of putting a motion to the AGM that all ST holders get the same deal as the Family Stand and OF games are excluded from the ticket.

54 minutes ago, W6er said:

You imagine or you know? What are the figures? The club must have them, why aren't they being published?

The figure we need is the extra ticketing revenue. Then we take away the additional stewarding / vandalism costs and the lost ticket revenue from home fans in the south stand for those games. Then we can weigh that figure against the less tangible effects of pissing off and displacing several of our fans and the sporting disadvantage of having opposition fans behind both goals in a home game. 

1 minute ago, TopCat said:

You imagine or you know? What are the figures? The club must have them, why aren't they being published?

The figure we need is the extra ticketing revenue. Then we take away the additional stewarding / vandalism costs and the lost ticket revenue from home fans in the south stand for those games. Then we can weigh that figure against the less tangible effects of pissing off and displacing several of our fans and the sporting disadvantage of having opposition fans behind both goals in a home game. 

I would imagine the ugly sisters would be billed for any vandalism within the stadium 

So you only want to use one section for each group and leave 3 empty. [emoji1787]

99e3cf5a28f30d1486f65ba95c595415.jpg

1 hour ago, Rascal said:

This isn't workable due to the lack of facilities in the family stand. Families and bigot brother fans would be using the same entrances, food areas and toilet facilities. It was proposed before and rejected for this reason. 

4 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

This isn't workable due to the lack of facilities in the family stand. Families and bigot brother fans would be using the same entrances, food areas and toilet facilities. It was proposed before and rejected for this reason. 

Thanks B

A sad inditement of the society we live in that fans can’t share where they buy a pie or go for a pee.

Edited by Rascal

1 hour ago, W6er said:

No it's not, roughly the same 120k

6 hours ago, bazil85 said:

The bigger the population, the better the indication. SMISA members, season ticket holders and people that have registered for tickets by the end of May is a considerable pool of St Mirren fans. It has given almost everyone the opportunity to get a vote that wants one & will generally be St Mirren fans that engage most with the club.

I’m at a loss to what they could have done more to get a stronger democratic representation of St Mirren fans views. What would you suggest to get a stronger indication? I would be shocked if the views of these fans weren’t in some way representative (including the indifferent population who won’t vote) of all St Mirren fans. 

We have four STs and we weren't asked so where is that in your"representation" statement

1 hour ago, rabuddies said:

I stopped attending OF matches as soon as the 2 stand thing started.  In fact I'm thinking of putting a motion to the AGM that all ST holders get the same deal as the Family Stand and OF games are excluded from the ticket.

I would prefer to buy a discounted West Stand season ticket without the uglies matches. I am sure quite a few others would, but this would cost the club as they are currently getting the money for the matches that are not attended.

So now you're mocking someone that you think might have a disability. Shameful behaviour. But then again, i wouldn't expect anything less from you. [emoji848]
He wouldn't mock you if you were an ambassador. You could become the Penguin ambassador.