OPEN LETTER TO THE BOARD AND ANYONE ELSE

We have four STs and we weren't asked so where is that in your"representation" statement
If you'd read the Chairman's statement instead of what Basil wrote you'd have seen the surveys would be out by the end of May. [emoji6]

"We will be sending the survey to current Season Ticket holders, SMiSA members and fans who have previously registered for tickets by the end of May and look forward to collaborating with you on the best outcome for the club and the fans. Once we receive your feedback, we will consider it carefully and announce our final decision before the start of the season."

12 minutes ago, W6er said:

Okay, then. So how would you save £120,000, sir?

If the board got their finger out and tried to connect with the Paisley people and lapsed supporters  it would only need an extra 350 at home games to cover this so called shortfall

7 minutes ago, waldorf34 said:

If the board got their finger out and tried to connect with the Paisley people and lapsed supporters  it would only need an extra 350 at home games to cover this so called shortfall

This is exactly the crux of the problem. The solution to the problem is to sell more St Mirren tickets rather than sell our soul to the creative accounting of how much the old firm tickets generate.

Selling tickets to the old firm demonstrates a lack of vision, connection to the community and ability to actually market the club from a passive board.

The imminent survey is lip service to a decision that has already been made at board level. Furthermore SMISA votes have a poor response from members and is hardly a proper representation of the support. 

Selling out to the old firm just fuels their perception that all other 40 clubs in the SPFL are just making up the numbers and the Scottish game would not survive without them.

It is clear that our home support drops at old firm games. However the board don’t care as they already have the season ticket money from the non attenders for this game. They don’t see that filling the ground with the opposition fans creates a toxic environment for all and actually puts off their paying customers. It is described as easy money, its not it greed at the expense of their loyal customers.

It is been clear for many years that the club have no loyalty to the fans. The fans are purely the clubs cashcow.

26 minutes ago, waldorf34 said:

If that was so easy to do, why don't all clubs in Scotland do it? 

1 hour ago, waldorf34 said:

What do you suggest, get the manager to drive through Paisley, hanging out of the sunroof of a car with megaphone in his hand.

They're people out there who canny afford their energy bills or food, let alone spend money going to a food ball match.

5 minutes ago, pod said:

What do you suggest, get the manager to drive through Paisley, hanging out of the sunroof of a car with megaphone in his hand.

They're people out there who canny afford their energy bills or food, let alone spend money going to a food ball match.

Indeed, this is used as a stick to have a go at the club, an "easy" subject to bring up when the answer is far more difficult.

It's almost an annual round of posts & counterposts with no REAL solution.

IMO the only way to bring in additional supporters, and even that has a limit, especially when, as you have pointed out, many people are having much more to worry about than all of a sudden becoming a regular St Mirren supporter, would be to have a serious increase in form and be winning on a regular basis with a bit of flair.

A higher profile for the club across the wider media would, IMO, see some sort of increase, until then, we need the money, not empty seats, when the OF visit. 

4 hours ago, bazil85 said:

I'm not sure what he wants the club to do! Should the players skip training and instead knock folks' doors and remind them there's a club in Paisley? Given our proximity to Glasgow, we're never going to be a massive club, unless we're bought out by a Sheikh or something.

2 hours ago, pod said:

They should ruddy well get their priorities straight, then!

1 hour ago, W6er said:

I'm not sure what he wants the club to do! Should the players skip training and instead knock folks' doors and remind them there's a club in Paisley? Given our proximity to Glasgow, we're never going to be a massive club, unless we're bought out by a Sheikh or something.

Dont need to skip training. They have all afternoon free time.

7 hours ago, Slarti said:
7 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:
So now you're mocking someone that you think might have a disability. Shameful behaviour. But then again, i wouldn't expect anything less from you. emoji848.png

He wouldn't mock you if you were an ambassador. You could become the Penguin ambassador.

Ah. The Ambassadors and the UK high heid yin in South Africa. They were the best of times, they were the worst of times. (The after parties could be fun and we’re well before Covid but the receptions were almost always tedious whether in Poland, Vietnam , UAE, Kuwait or Hong Hong (note another high heid yin who was not an ambassador). I have forgotten the rest 

On 5/21/2022 at 1:33 PM, glen said:

It has already been stated that last year our (SMISA nominated) chairman stated that something would have to be done regarding the two stand situation.At the St Mirren FC online AGM the issue came up again with much the same comments. 

As a long-term member of SMISA I attended the SMiSA AGM where the club chairman to his credit accepted criticism and described the situation as ‘toxic’. He said ‘we are listening’, ‘we hear you’ and that the board had a ‘working party’ (members unidentified) reporting back to allow the board to make a decision.

At the meeting it was as good as unanimous that one stand only should be  offered to both the clubs who bring bigoted, sectarian and vandalism behaviour to OUR stadium, resulting in home fans especially those with young supporters staying away from OUR home.

Passions ran high at that meeting and four or five speakers laid the situation out very clearly, including one who is now on the SMISA committee. It was pointed out by more than one person that a decision must be made before season ticket prices were announced Mr Neeham gave the impression that would happen. That’s what me and my companions took from his comments. Now look at where we are.

Why has ‘toxic’ been so downgraded that we now need a ‘SURVEY’ to tell us what we already know?This needs sorted and sorted now. Supporters stuck by the club over two years, paid their money with no idea when they would be able to return, and are now treated with contempt.

What kind of commercial decision is this? Where is the marketing expertise we have heard so much about from Kibble? Believe me, after all my years in industry and technology no company that has to actually earn money rather than apply for grant after grant would treat its customer base in this manner.

I am certain no SMISA member would agree with this shambles. Supporter friends of other clubs like Killie and Motherwell I’ve told are gobsmacked we are being treated like this.

Good, loyal supporters are being treated as though they are stupid. This is a classic situation where the board will announce that not enough tickets have been sold (due to a situation they themselves have created), so they have no option but to keep the two stands as they are and the fans can suck it up.

It feels like this situation is being manufactured. Are we short of money? It certainly looks like it.

Fans elsewhere in the ground hate this too and won’t buy in.
Community club?

Do you hear the supporters board of directors? They stuck with you. Now you have to stick with them. Fix this now.

St Mirren need to lose the "perpetually skint" image. Pointless having a nice stadium, great training facilities etc if players and agents see us as a financial basket case. Better to be known as well run and a Club that looks after our employees.

Ah. The Ambassadors and the UK high heid yin in South Africa. They were the best of times, they were the worst of times. (The after parties could be fun and we’re well before Covid but the receptions were almost always tedious whether in Poland, Vietnam , UAE, Kuwait or Hong Hong (note another high heid yin who was not an ambassador). I have forgotten the rest 

You just can't help yourself making sh!t up. [emoji1787]

12 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Indeed, this is used as a stick to have a go at the club, an "easy" subject to bring up when the answer is far more difficult.

It's almost an annual round of posts & counterposts with no REAL solution.

IMO the only way to bring in additional supporters, and even that has a limit, especially when, as you have pointed out, many people are having much more to worry about than all of a sudden becoming a regular St Mirren supporter, would be to have a serious increase in form and be winning on a regular basis with a bit of flair.

A higher profile for the club across the wider media would, IMO, see some sort of increase, until then, we need the money, not empty seats, when the OF visit. 

Spot on.

And to add a few ideas.

1) Football is becoming increasingly money orientated. The fun factor from years ago has turned into a more serious situation that needs to be addressed. It can become off putting for families, younger people, older people, people with disabilities not to mention the fans who are just generally in the mind of ( I can't be bothered with the hassle). We should be taking the lead in turning football back into a fun experience which involves the club not taking ourselves too seriously.

This leads me to 'a higher profile for the club across wider media'. Football humour is gold dust and can create a good amount of income for the club if done correctly. I laughed myself to sleep last night with the thought of a few made up comedy sketches which in theory would last approx 5 minutes. These could easily be made during a matchday experience but manufactured pre, in match and post match. Easy to make, Easy to distribute and market on social media and if done correctly via you tube and other social media platforms can generate a fair amount of cash through views. Could also be shown at the games at half time or if we are getting skelped at fulltime to help people leave with at least a bit of humour. Might even lead to a wee show of BBC Scotland every so often.

2) Currently there is no legal solution for those St Mirren supporters who can't attend matches due to serious illness or disabilties over and above those who can attend using a wheelchair. The likelihood is you know someone like this or know someone who knows someone like this. (Current options IPTV, St Mirren TV with VPN, He's Goal). I understand that there is a broadcasting rights issue but surely addressing it with UEFA, SFA, TV Companies now is better than leaving the above situation evolve further. Football should be for all fans not only those who are able to attend and this should be recognised and addressed so the most vulnerable supporter doesn't miss a match. I am sure there are a number of fans who don't know about the non legal options or would be happy to pay if they have quality content, commentary and a good general viewing experience. Should also consider including the option of making it interactive throughout the match which is another thing about inclusion which we are not great at for a fan owned club.

3) St Mirren owned areas around the club. This space in the future must be utilised to generate revenue. I can't be bothered looking up the sizes but five a side/seven a side pitches near the ground with catering/cafe/pints even showers at the stadium increases the visibility, interest, buy in, 2 way interaction between club and people (supporters and potential supporters). The youth is the club's future and everything must be done to ensure we stop them going to the dark side as this often happens throughout their time at school as easily influenced by others at a young age. Kids in Paisley should also be given leaflets by their teachers not to trust their parents if they have green or blue football tops in their cupboard. Ok maybe a bit far but as a town we must further create and integrate younger people to the club and depending on their age and the experience they are looking for this goes from Panda Club right through to someone in the Northbank for example opening their arms to all who show an interest.

We have been treading water for years. Time to step us as a club and take the lead with regards to technology, matchday experience, fans safety and community interaction at all levels.

If anyone has the interest with regards to comedy sketch idea production and development then let me know and will provide further info directly.

14 hours ago, bazil85 said:

No one said it was easy. However one thing for sure is by not doing anything will certainly not generate anything. Your statement is symptomatic of the lazy approach the club has.

- How many local businesses have an affiliation to the club. How many have actually had someone from the club doorstep them

- What promotional stuff do the club do. I don’t see anything around the town telling people about SMFC nor do i see local businesses with SMFC visuals in their premises

- How many of the players of the staff attend the schools,clubs, hospital for the PR and have it plastered on social media

- Why do we not have someone at the club constantly feeding the media on our starlets, the club, the community. Create positive spin

- Have a think group that tries a number of social media stunts and see where it takes us. Many of the recent social media phenomena started as nothing.

- Align with a local charity and do some good for the community and generate some positive PR

- Make the experience on match day unique. (We do the same as most other clubs loud music before the game, cold pie at half time while watching the subs play keepy up, with the occasional mumble on a mic from the tunnel) 

We are asking the club to try and add 10% more to the season ticket numbers. This drive should have started before now. Good to see season tickets on sale early while the early bird discount it should have been stretched out to new season ticket holders also. 

1 hour ago, Brilliant Disguise said:

No one said it was easy. However one thing for sure is by not doing anything will certainly not generate anything. Your statement is symptomatic of the lazy approach the club has.

- How many local businesses have an affiliation to the club. How many have actually had someone from the club doorstep them

- What promotional stuff do the club do. I don’t see anything around the town telling people about SMFC nor do i see local businesses with SMFC visuals in their premises

- How many of the players of the staff attend the schools,clubs, hospital for the PR and have it plastered on social media

- Why do we not have someone at the club constantly feeding the media on our starlets, the club, the community. Create positive spin

- Have a think group that tries a number of social media stunts and see where it takes us. Many of the recent social media phenomena started as nothing.

- Align with a local charity and do some good for the community and generate some positive PR

- Make the experience on match day unique. (We do the same as most other clubs loud music before the game, cold pie at half time while watching the subs play keepy up, with the occasional mumble on a mic from the tunnel) 

We are asking the club to try and add 10% more to the season ticket numbers. This drive should have started before now. Good to see season tickets on sale early while the early bird discount it should have been stretched out to new season ticket holders also. 

For all of the above check what Arbroath have done this season. 

I should add all of the success in off field areas were down to huge success ON THE PARK.

Edited by faraway saint

24 minutes ago, Brilliant Disguise said:

Spot on 

You've also forgotten that all those receptions and parties were scenes from Bond movies.

4 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

You just can't help yourself making sh!t up. emoji1787.png

To be fair, you expect us to believe that you drive of your own accord and free will most days, to sit in a windowless dungeon for hours!  Rain, hail, ice and snow….

I mean…. I might swallow that bit of the fairy tale but driving to do it in…. of all places…. Dumbarton!!!  :o