OPEN LETTER TO THE BOARD AND ANYONE ELSE

To be fair, you expect us to believe that you drive of your own accord and free will most days, to sit in a windowless dungeon for hours!  Rain, hail, ice and snow….

I mean…. I might swallow that bit of the fairy tale but driving to do it in…. of all places…. Dumbarton!!!  [emoji33]

That's about half of a good week you've described there. [emoji1787]

1 hour ago, Slarti said:

You've also forgotten that all those receptions and parties were scenes from Bond movies.

I must have been an extra then but I don’t recall getting paid for it. As I said they were mostly no fun at all. I might have missed Kuwait from my list.

2 hours ago, Brilliant Disguise said:

No one said it was easy. However one thing for sure is by not doing anything will certainly not generate anything. Your statement is symptomatic of the lazy approach the club has.

- How many local businesses have an affiliation to the club. How many have actually had someone from the club doorstep them

- What promotional stuff do the club do. I don’t see anything around the town telling people about SMFC nor do i see local businesses with SMFC visuals in their premises

- How many of the players of the staff attend the schools,clubs, hospital for the PR and have it plastered on social media

- Why do we not have someone at the club constantly feeding the media on our starlets, the club, the community. Create positive spin

- Have a think group that tries a number of social media stunts and see where it takes us. Many of the recent social media phenomena started as nothing.

- Align with a local charity and do some good for the community and generate some positive PR

- Make the experience on match day unique. (We do the same as most other clubs loud music before the game, cold pie at half time while watching the subs play keepy up, with the occasional mumble on a mic from the tunnel) 

We are asking the club to try and add 10% more to the season ticket numbers. This drive should have started before now. Good to see season tickets on sale early while the early bird discount it should have been stretched out to new season ticket holders also. 

It isn't correct or fair to say the club doesn't do anything. 

Your points are however fair and a lot of the stuff does happen to a certain extent but as already mentioned, we are limited by where we are compared to Glasgow and just by the general nature of tourist fan behaviour in Scotland. The majority of football people growing up in Paisley will end up bigot brother fans. We can only do so much before it is throwing good money after bad. 

As I have said, the approach is idealistic and if this would have an impact to the tune of hundreds of extra fans every game, all clubs would do it. There's a reason clubs like St Mirren, Killie, Motherwell, St Johnstone, etc have quite similar fan numbers without expediential growth, I mean, even St Johnstone never seen a big rise after winning two cup finals to their normal numbers. Don't get much better marketing and club advertising than that. 

What I actually think is quite lazy is fans who think they have solved all clubs problems from their Ivory tower over successive, boots on the ground club management teams at all Scottish football clubs. 

23 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

What I actually think is quite lazy is fans who think they have solved all clubs problems from their Ivory tower over successive, boots on the ground club management teams at all Scottish football clubs. 

And that is the problem. Boots on the ground management teams that do not successfully interact enough with supporters. In the modern age, technology, communication, marketing, gathering feedback/ideas for improvement are conducted by most businesses outside of football. I see very little of this type of engagement within the game. Maybe it is time for some supporters to stand up and deliver what is required, but not being successfully delivered by clubs particulalry those of our size and income. I would have thought that SMISA would have had more of an impact with the fan ownership model and maybe in time they will but at the moment we are still just treading the same water along with many other clubs.

12 minutes ago, truesaint said:

And that is the problem. Boots on the ground management teams that do not successfully interact enough with supporters. In the modern age, technology, communication, marketing, gathering feedback/ideas for improvement are conducted by most businesses outside of football. I see very little of this type of engagement within the game. Maybe it is time for some supporters to stand up and deliver what is required, but not being successfully delivered by clubs particulalry those of our size and income. I would have thought that SMISA would have had more of an impact with the fan ownership model and maybe in time they will but at the moment we are still just treading the same water along with many other clubs.

Surely when we see such a running theme across practically all similar sized clubs, and successive BOD’s, fans with these views must come to the realisation it isn’t as black and white to raise the club profile & income streams? 

I actually had some of these views when I was younger but as I matured I grew out of them (maybe in my early to mid 20s) 

This isn’t to say there isn’t more that can be done, there always is. The fix just isn’t as achievable in the way people like BD would suggest with his recommendations above.

3 hours ago, antrin said:

To be fair, you expect us to believe that you drive of your own accord and free will most days, to sit in a windowless dungeon for hours!  Rain, hail, ice and snow….

I mean…. I might swallow that bit of the fairy tale but driving to do it in…. of all places…. Dumbarton!!!  :o

maybe he drives a civic?

Edited by beyond our ken

18 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

I would hope that the appointment of the new COO would have included a target to increase the non match day revenue to at least cover the cost of his salary, that would make business sense.

given he will be getting a salary in the tens of thousands i'd expect an increase by a factor of at least 10 against hos salary

Edited by beyond our ken

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

Surely when we see such a running theme across practically all similar sized clubs, and successive BOD’s, fans with these views must come to the realisation it isn’t as black and white to raise the club profile & income streams? 

I actually had some of these views when I was younger but as I matured I grew out of them (maybe in my early to mid 20s) 

This isn’t to say there isn’t more that can be done, there always is. The fix just isn’t as achievable in the way people like BD would suggest with his recommendations above.

But e are not even crawling along, you need to get real.  Successive boards have ignored well-founded ideas to cut costs and generate extra income made by our only effective CEO to date

Edited by beyond our ken

32 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

The stadium hospitality  and 1877 bar area are unused for 90% of the week ,contrast that with Livingston  which has numerous  conferences  and training  sessions for weeks during the year

47 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

I would hope that the appointment of the new COO would have included a target to increase the non match day revenue to at least cover the cost of his salary, that would make business sense.

Agreed SS. And I would expect that to be the case. I am not doom and gloom about increasing crowds, far from it, as our pre-covid figures showed good year on year growth.

48 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

The clubs marketing and profile is poor and has been even at the times of SG. The club do not try new revenue streams, despite your assertion, they rely heavily on the cash cow of season tickets from the cannon fodder, the match day hospitality and from the annual dinner.

The hospitality is a captive audience that could and should be exploited in so many other ways. How many follow ups do the corporate team do to the guests at hospitality to try and upsell the experience, how many follow ups do the team do to try and sell future games and exploit their special occasions. (I know for a fact that you only get a call to fill a table if your a mate)

Does any one check who the hospitality guests are and then assess whether they are decision makers in their employment and could revenue be generated by contacting them direct. 

The club don’t approach any local businesses to assist in match day advertising or incentives them selling tickets. 

Bazil you have confirmed that the mindset of many smaller clubs is not to try as its not worth it. What initiatives has the club tried and what have failed.

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

This isn’t to say there isn’t more that can be done, there always is. The fix just isn’t as achievable in the way people like BD would suggest with his recommendations above

issues raised to previous boards by a previous chief evec include

• liking with the airport as a conference venue
  • installing rainwater harvest to massively reduce water bills
  • exploring renewable energy opportunities, such as solar panels, small wind turbines and ground-source heating
  • investment in office space
  • improving catering and toilet facilities at theaway end to allow for maximum availability of seats

They just don't act

1 hour ago, beyond our ken said:

But e are not even crawling along, you need to get real.  Successive boards have ignored well-founded ideas to cut costs and generate extra income made by our only effective CEO to date

1 hour ago, waldorf34 said:

The stadium hospitality  and 1877 bar area are unused for 90% of the week ,contrast that with Livingston  which has numerous  conferences  and training  sessions for weeks during the year

1 hour ago, Brilliant Disguise said:

The clubs marketing and profile is poor and has been even at the times of SG. The club do not try new revenue streams, despite your assertion, they rely heavily on the cash cow of season tickets from the cannon fodder, the match day hospitality and from the annual dinner.

The hospitality is a captive audience that could and should be exploited in so many other ways. How many follow ups do the corporate team do to the guests at hospitality to try and upsell the experience, how many follow ups do the team do to try and sell future games and exploit their special occasions. (I know for a fact that you only get a call to fill a table if your a mate)

Does any one check who the hospitality guests are and then assess whether they are decision makers in their employment and could revenue be generated by contacting them direct. 

The club don’t approach any local businesses to assist in match day advertising or incentives them selling tickets. 

Bazil you have confirmed that the mindset of many smaller clubs is not to try as its not worth it. What initiatives has the club tried and what have failed.

57 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

issues raised to previous boards by a previous chief evec include

• liking with the airport as a conference venue
  • installing rainwater harvest to massively reduce water bills
  • exploring renewable energy opportunities, such as solar panels, small wind turbines and ground-source heating
  • investment in office space
  • improving catering and toilet facilities at theaway end to allow for maximum availability of seats

They just don't act

Oh to know it all & for life in business to be so easy. I’m sure you’re all equally surprised as me to why all other clubs don’t do this given it is so easy 😂

Can only assume you all run extremely successful businesses given the insight into markets that you’re not even involved in… 

2 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Oh to know it all & for life in business to be so easy. I’m sure you’re all equally surprised as me to why all other clubs don’t do this given it is so easy 😂

Can only assume you all run extremely successful businesses given the insight into markets that you’re not even involved in… 

My comments are based on discussions with Brian Caldwell, who could teach me a thng or two and could teach you the same x10

My employer is one of the biggest in it's field and i spoke to Brian about taking advantage of  scheme thay have to use business expertise on community projects to unlock finance opportunities and improve life in Scotland.  At first he was keen but after talking to the board at the time he told me not to bother.  Now another massive urban regeneration project is using that expertise to great effect

1 hour ago, beyond our ken said:

the facilities at Almondvale, despite being decades older than those in our ground, are just better

Our proximity to the airport should be a massive asset to the club

There's four hotels at airport offering venue facilities and others in close vicinity.  

17 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

My comments are based on discussions with Brian Caldwell, who could teach me a thng or two and could teach you the same x10

My employer is one of the biggest in it's field and i spoke to Brian about taking advantage of  scheme thay have to use business expertise on community projects to unlock finance opportunities and improve life in Scotland.  At first he was keen but after talking to the board at the time he told me not to bother.  Now another massive urban regeneration project is using that expertise to great effect

Brian Caldwell while at St Mirren & Shrewsbury has not exponentially grown their commercial income streams or their fanbases from what I can tell. 

We have fans that are pretty much saying it’s easy to have 100s more bums on seats every week while having the stadium a buzz with income making business 7 days a week. 

Hate to be the one to break it to these fans as well but, the tooth fairy isn’t real. 

55 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Brian Caldwell while at St Mirren & Shrewsbury has not exponentially grown their commercial income streams or their fanbases from what I can tell. 

We have fans that are pretty much saying it’s easy to have 100s more bums on seats every week while having the stadium a buzz with income making business 7 days a week. 

Hate to be the one to break it to these fans as well but, the tooth fairy isn’t real. 

Mr B. I don’t think it’s easy and I don’t expect there to be sudden growth. I do believe it is possible abd that to some extent that is already happening but needs a clear plan going forward. A build it and they will come approach isn’t realistic in my view but steady growth is in both attendances and income derived from commercial activities. Kibble might hold a key to greater use of space in the near future as they will need space in which to expand their training activities. Does anyone know if Kibble is still a charity and the same about our community arm?

1 hour ago, Rascal said:

Mr B. I don’t think it’s easy and I don’t expect there to be sudden growth. I do believe it is possible abd that to some extent that is already happening but needs a clear plan going forward. A build it and they will come approach isn’t realistic in my view but steady growth is in both attendances and income derived from commercial activities. Kibble might hold a key to greater use of space in the near future as they will need space in which to expand their training activities. Does anyone know if Kibble is still a charity and the same about our community arm?

Agree with all that. The Kibble could be a fantastic asset on continuing to grow. As said, there is always room for improvement and growth. Just no magic wands. 

The Kibble are still a charity yes & we still have community engagements and initiatives around the club. 

21 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Agree with all that. The Kibble could be a fantastic asset on continuing to grow. As said, there is always room for improvement and growth. Just no magic wands. 

The Kibble are still a charity yes & we still have community engagements and initiatives around the club. 

B. PM me please.