Welcome Trevor Carson

Ive not been convinced by Carson as yet he is nowhere near as commanding as Alnwick or Hdlacky. Urminsky is not in the level of those two could he be in a level with Carson. We will never know if he doesn’t get the chance he is obviously a very decent number 2 he needs a chance to step in is McCrorie better hmmm I’m not convinced from what I’ve seen at Livingston etc 

Edited by Clydebanksaint

5 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Rumours of us moving for McCrorie of Rangers on loan.

Hopefully not, give Urminsky his chance until the end of the window. If he's not good enough, make a move for a keeper in the last week or so but surely after more than two years here he's earned a shot at being first choice.

It's a tough call . If we have a few early season disasters then Robinson/Urminsky will cop the blame. I'm not convinced McCrorie would be much better though !

11 hours ago, guinness said:

See he is crocked. Has carried injuries for years. Danger of signing players with long term injury problems.

He's suffering from DVT in his legs.

There's really not a lot you can do with regards to that. He suffered from it in his shoulder a few years back so it's just massively unlucky by sounds of things.

Is Lyness now the forgotten man. I found his performance against Celtic to be quite inspiring jist before Xmas and although he was a little suspect at Motherwell’s opener in the 4-2 humping on april 2 I feel he is being overlooked here . 
To be fair Urminsky is a really good keeper. Lyness was only ever gonna be a back up goalie, and has done really well for us. Urminsky has a big presence in goal. He is only ever going to better. Imo he'll go a long way in the game.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

He's suffering from DVT in his legs.

There's really not a lot you can do with regards to that. He suffered from it in his shoulder a few years back so it's just massively unlucky by sounds of things.

That can take months to clear up, and as has obviously happened, it can come back.

I'm totally against signing McCrorie. Firstly, because he's shite and I'd rather we gave Urminsky a chance. Also, it means that we'd have to do without our "first choice" keeper when we play the blue bigots.

If it comes to pass that Urminsky isn't deemed good enough, then we've got plenty of time to pick up a 'keeper from out with the premiership.

It's imperative that we have a high quality 'keeper, as it could be the difference between staying up or going down, as Alnwick and Hladky have proved over the past couple of seasons.

We're paying good money for Martin Foyle to recruit affordable "hidden gems". Now's the time for him to start earning his money.

I find myself conflicted here. I feel for Carson. Not his fault. I wonder about the signing or medical . We have two keepers in Lyness and Urminsky. I have seen little of McRorie but I know we normally have 3 goalkeepers. I’m glad that I am not the manager. I’m not sure that any of them is in the same bracket as Alnwick or Hladky but those were gems. We have been fortunate over the years though in finding or developing good keepers. Who knows? Not me.

1 hour ago, Rascal said:

I find myself conflicted here. I feel for Carson. Not his fault. I wonder about the signing or medical . We have two keepers in Lyness and Urminsky. I have seen little of McRorie but I know we normally have 3 goalkeepers. I’m glad that I am not the manager. I’m not sure that any of them is in the same bracket as Alnwick or Hladky but those were gems. We have been fortunate over the years though in finding or developing good keepers. Who knows? Not me.

At last.

Hope Carson makes a recovery, but when you look at his recent record with injuries this latest break down of an existing injury is not much of a surprise. Wonder how he passed his medical. 

Alnwick was such a great signing he was always going to be tough to replace, but goalkeeper looks like yet another position that we will be significantly weaker in next season. 

Robinson said last night that the scan results were positive and he should be back to training next week (although with injections in his leg?).
A silver lining to last night’s disgraceful performance, but I’m a bit nervous about his fitness for the rest of the season now. Hopefully he’s ok and can do a job for us. Alnwick and Hladky are big boots to fill. 

• 1 month later...

Must admit after first few games I was not convinced by Carson but he like a fair few of the team has been improving, I still think hes not as good as Jak or Hladky but hes a decent prem keeper we have just been spoilt by the previous 2 who were better than most of the league 

16 minutes ago, Swiss_Saint said:

Must admit after first few games I was not convinced by Carson but he like a fair few of the team has been improving, I still think hes not as good as Jak or Hladky but hes a decent prem keeper we have just been spoilt by the previous 2 who were better than most of the league 

I agree. We maybe need to realise that his distribution is not his strong point but the important part is he is a good shop stopper. We can adapt to his weakness but not to a keeper with butter fingers. I don't think he will let us down. 

Fanciful, I know…

…but I do believe that he HAS improved since his first few outings…. and probably, specifically….  because he has been trained to act more as a player IN the defence, moving outside his box , aiding the pressing, helping shut down the other team, and initiating forward moves.  He was much less proactive and mobile when I first saw him, certainly in comparison with the two recent stars in that role.

He seems to read attacks better - apart from that unforgivable waiting on his line to collect the ball in the Aberdeen match.   He’s learnt from that, too.

Credit to him and Saints’ goalkeeping coaches.

• 1 month later...

Has proven to be another excellent signing.

Five clean sheets so far and some hugely impressive and important saves.

Good to see him proving quite a few people wrong.

Seems to be quite common trait amongst our support to write off a player on a couple of performances.

During the pre-season and League Cup games I was pushing for Urminsky to be given a chance to prove himself as our first choice keeper. I posted this on here more than once.

Carson has subsequently shown himself to be well worth being our number one choice, but Lyness's release has shown that Robinson has faith in Urminsky as our new first choice back-up keeper.