Prices Up - thanks to the moaning Minnies!

Three Stands Consultation
As promised in my announcement on 18 May you are invited to participate in a consultation on the allocation of three stands to Home supporters for all games at the SMISA Stadium. We know how unpopular it has become when fans are moved from the Tony Fitzpatrick Family Stand to accommodate Away fans. As such it is our plan is to change to allocating three stands to Home fans in Season 2023/24.

We would also like to be able to give three stands to Home fans for all games in the coming season, 2022/23. However, doing so would leave a gap in the budget, which is already set, of £100k (each game we fill the family stand with away fans is worth around £35k).

We plan to increase ticket prices for the matches versus Celtic and Rangers in line with what they charge at their grounds, which will fill some of the gap. This questionnaire aims to gauge the level of support for some ideas which would help cover the rest.

To increase income by the necessary amount, we would need a significant majority of you to support four key initiatives:

Increase Season Ticket Sales - we have set a target of increasing Season Ticket sales by 300 (approximately 10%).
One Off Payment - we will launch a scheme to allow fans to make a one-off payment for this season of £30 to help retain the Tony Fitzpatrick Family Stand for Home supporters.
Help a Buddie’ scheme - we plan to introduce a scheme whereby fans/local businesses can pledge £25 (or multiples thereof) to fund a match ticket for someone in our community who ordinarily would not be able to buy a ticket for themselves.
Two Match Ticket Bundles - To minimise the impact on our own fans of the price rise for individual tickets for matches against Celtic or Rangers, we will launch a scheme whereby fans can purchase a ticket for a match along with a ticket for the following Home game at a discount.

As you complete the questionnaire there are a few key points to bear in mind:

• We all want to provide as much playing budget as possible in order to have a team that will challenge for the Top 6. Failure to replace the lost income will impact the funds available to attract players that will maintain the progress seen in recent years.

• Some fans have suggested that there would be significant savings in stewarding and Police costs if we retain three stands for home fans. This is simply not the case as the levels of Police and stewarding are based on the risk banding for each match depending on the opposition. That would be unlikely to change.

• The Working Group who looked at this issue with the Board came up with a number of ideas. However, they also concluded that there is no simple or easy solution to replacing the lost income.

• I hope you regard this consultation positively as an opportunity to have your say in keeping with our position as a majority fan-owned, community club.

The questionnaire should only take a couple of minutes to complete and will remain open until 3 June. The feedback will then be analysed and a decision made on the arrangements for the upcoming season. This will be announced on 17 June, allowing a further two weeks to purchase tickets at the early bird price once a decision has been made.

Please take the time to complete the questionnaire and give us your opinions. The survey link is available here.

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmcusercontent.com%2Ffbffa80a123f425684cc5bb35%2Fimages%2F7885902c-6ed2-2235-7842-e47eab392e43.png&t=1653658542&ymreqid=f41d3d45-d418-dc78-1cd1-2e007701c300&sig=h9bqvH7vDpzHIs.4_Z7ddw--~D

Thank you very much for agreeing to participate in this questionnaire. The information provided by you in this questionnaire will be used for research purposes only. It will not be used in a manner which would allow identification of your individual responses and personal data will not be shared with any third party.

Thanks for your ongoing support.
John Needham, Chairman

So, how do you each propose to make up the short fall? Increasing prices will obviously put some folk off coming, especially given the increase in living costs. Are we to cut the squad?

I have an idea? Why not just keep giving the Old Firm two stands?

1 hour ago, W6er said:

So, how do you each propose to make up the short fall? Increasing prices will obviously put some folk off coming, especially given the increase in living costs. Are we to cut the squad?

Those same people now have an opportunity to put their money where there mouth was. Will they?

29 minutes ago, exiledfan said:

Can't believe a question is do you want to pay 30 quid as a one off to keep them out!! 

Haven't season tickets already gone up £30 ?

Why can't you believe that? We're facing a shortfall of £105,000* because folk don't want the Old Firm having two stands. These are the proposals to try to recoup that money. If the 'moaning Minnies' are so keen to ensure the Tony Fitzpatrick stand is for home support, I'm sure they won;t mind paying an extra thirty quid.

My question is serious! How should the club recoup that lost revenue?

*£140,000 lost if we finish top six, btw.

Edited by W6er

Just now, Ayrshire Saints said:

Charge the cheeks double and give them half the allocation, simples !

We'd have to charge home supporters the same price, for those games.

2107156494_Screenshot2022-05-2716_12_08.thumb.png.191c0d72ab6038198ef5b571f5ffb636.png

The Scotsman reported that our average wage bill was ~£49,000 a couple of seasons ago. We're talking about losing two average players or a quality player fromt he squad. I did say it will come to this...

I don’t see why we can’t adopt the St Johnstone model of allowing away families to use our family stand at discounted rates. I’m sure over the course of a season we could look to recoup that £100K. 

2 hours ago, W6er said:

Prices are going up anyway, irrespective of any moaning minnies.

Approx 9.5% increase early bird and more after that expires, as discussed elsewhere on here.

Prejudging the results of the survey ? 

Opinions are split fairly evenly looking at various social medias, the big ask is consistently getting more season ticket sales.

And, CoL issues aside, potential levies on ST prices, buyafan ticket initiative (what stand do they get to sit in) etc, is peope backing up their opinions as they indicate in the survey.

That it will incur extra costs that may well end this issue as fans vote Head before Heart

10 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

I don’t see why we can’t adopt the St Johnstone model of allowing away families to use our family stand at discounted rates. I’m sure over the course of a season we could look to recoup that £100K. 

I have also suggested this before. The answer is, apparently, that we can’t do that as we cannot share the stand without sharing the pie stall and toilet facilities where fans would have to mix! I know we are talking family stand, family groups and under 12s.

24 minutes ago, alanb said:

Prices are going up anyway, irrespective of any moaning minnies.

Approx 9.5% increase early bird and more after that expires, as discussed elsewhere on here.

Prejudging the results of the survey ? 

Opinions are split fairly evenly looking at various social medias, the big ask is consistently getting more season ticket sales.

And, CoL issues aside, potential levies on ST prices, buyafan ticket initiative (what stand do they get to sit in) etc, is peope backing up their opinions as they indicate in the survey.

That it will incur extra costs that may well end this issue as fans vote Head before Heart

Why won't Smisa chip in with £100k out of their income of £ 140k

Survey not weighted at all.

😯🤐

Additional income from external sources or additional fans? No. Not an option. 

Let's have the existing support believe in Armageddon. 

That way, it was their choice.

Totally as predicted.

Survey?

It's like Council consultation.

I once wrote to our local authority to ask, in line with their policies, what consultation would take place... The reply... "We will consult once the decision has been made"! True story dat. 🤐😥

1 hour ago, W6er said:

Sorry fella, that is a non argument.

The SPL prize money (from my google search)

6th got £1.56m

7th got £1.43m

8th got  £1.37m

9th got £1.31m

10th got £1.25m

If we finished

8th instead of 9th = £60k more.

7th instead of 9th = £120k more

6th instead of 9th = £250k more.

6th instead of 7th = £130k more

I understand St Mirren budgets for  a 10th place finish. Anything higher is a bonus.

If that is the case, we're already £60k to the good. £35k more to go 😁

The prize money alone could/should be incentive enough to keep rangers & celtic in one stand alone.

Our chances of getting points out of the games increases with them being in only 1 stand. What do points make?..

Lastly, has a beamback (subject to approvals) been explored?

Charge rangers & celtic a fee & how they recoup their expenses, is up to them. If they make a profit..fair enough.

If the outcome is 1 stand, i'll put my money where my mouth is & buy a ST, buy a fan a ticket and buy a 2 match ticket deal too.

Edited by Kombibuddie
Typo

2 hours ago, W6er said:

Why can't you believe that? We're facing a shortfall of £105,000* because folk don't want the Old Firm having two stands. These are the proposals to try to recoup that money. If the 'moaning Minnies' are so keen to ensure the Tony Fitzpatrick stand is for home support, I'm sure they won;t mind paying an extra thirty quid.

My question is serious! How should the club recoup that lost revenue?

Actually if you read some of my posts in previous threads I do get it. 

The issue I have is that the survey is basically a veiled one sided attempt to say that if the old firm aren't allowed in supporters need to either pay for it or accept a budget cut 

Chairmen needs to grow a set and just say that buissness model suggests two stands is better financially for the club so suck it up. He's paid to run the club not pass the buck to fans when it's a tough decision.

9 minutes ago, exiledfan said:

The issue I have is that the survey is basically a veiled one sided attempt to say that if the old firm aren't allowed in supporters need to either pay for it or accept a budget cut 

Chairmen needs to grow a set and just say that buissness model suggests two stands is better financially for the club so suck it up. He's paid to run the club not pass the buck to fans when it's a tough decision.

He wont

Having said that I like the idea of being able to help some folks come to games where cost prevents them from doing so. I suggested a similar idea several years ago but was told that there was no mechanism for doing so.

Edited by Rascal

1 hour ago, pod said:

That's alright if you can afford it.

Of course,  obviously.  I don't earn much, but my outgoings aren't too bad.

I don't think the club is saying everyone has to pay this.

1 hour ago, Rascal said:

I have also suggested this before. The answer is, apparently, that we can’t do that as we cannot share the stand without sharing the pie stall and toilet facilities where fans would have to mix! I know we are talking family stand, family groups and under 12s.

We should be actively encouraging good behaviour amongst families. 

29 minutes ago, Rascal said:

He wont

Having said that I like the idea of being able to help some folks come to games where cost prevents them from doing so. I suggested a similar idea several years ago but was told that there was no mechanism for doing so.

I agree it's a good initiative however I think maybe target the price at a concession so that more folk can benefit and it may be more appealing to help. 

1 hour ago, waldorf34 said:

Why won't Smisa chip in with £100k out of their income of £ 140k

I pay my SISA funds to help ensure the club's future, not to subsidise the club because they have decided to forgo perfectly good revenue streams to appease moaning Minnies.*

*I feel like Shill, Faraway, etc, being so childish. But this has really pissed me off, to be honest.

ETA response to quote below:

52 minutes ago, exiledfan said:

I 100% disagree with this. We're now fan owned, so the club absolutely should 'listen to the fans'. We get to choose exactly what you have suggested, and for me it's not a difficult choice.

Edited by W6er

1 hour ago, Kombibuddie said:

Sorry fella, that is a non argument.

The SPL prize money (from my google search)

6th got £1.56m

7th got £1.43m

8th got  £1.37m

9th got £1.31m

10th got £1.25m

If we finished

8th instead of 9th = £60k more.

7th instead of 9th = £120k more

6th instead of 9th = £250k more.

6th instead of 7th = £130k more

I understand St Mirren budgets for  a 10th place finish. Anything higher is a bonus.

If that is the case, we're already £60k to the good. £35k more to go 😁

The prize money alone could/should be incentive enough to keep rangers & celtic in one stand alone.

Our chances of getting points out of the games increases with them being in only 1 stand. What do points make?..

Lastly, has a beamback (subject to approvals) been explored?

Charge rangers & celtic a fee & how they recoup their expenses, is up to them. If they make a profit..fair enough.

If the outcome is 1 stand, i'll put my money where my mouth is & buy a ST, buy a fan a ticket and buy a 2 match ticket deal too.

If you're good to your word, which I don't doubt, then fair play to you. If fans galvanise and stump up the lost revenue, then great.

As for your other points - we're still forgoing that income, irrespective of where we finish. I think we should give them two stands and reciprocate the price - if they charge £30 a ticket, then we will for the games versus them. The good thing is most season ticket holders won't be troubled by this measure, it will be the pay per game fans that will have to fork out, which is a shame.

The beamback thing is a great idea, but will only be welcomed if the match is a decider. Plus most games versus the Old Firm are already on the TV.