St Mirren v Arbroath League Cup 9/7

14 minutes ago, W6er said:

They had a lot to celebrate, so I'm sure they made the most of it. :)

I’m talking pre match 🍺🍺🍺

The only thing they had to celebrate at that time was being in Paisley 🙃

15 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

St.Mirren fans who were they should be refunded from players wages imo

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

I hear that due to poor performances and results all ST holders will be refunded for the Northampton game 👍🏼

I wasn't at the game on Saturday, so I don't have an idea of how we played, though what I can't understand is how a part-time team, who have had less time pre-season training than us to prepare for these games, can come away with victory and hold their own? Do they take a different mental approach to these games and we still use it as a 'pre-season'?

It doesn't worry me in the slightest that we were defeated in this game with it being so early on, though the comparison to resources etc, I would have expected us to pick up the required points.

9 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

I wasn't at the game on Saturday, so I don't have an idea of how we played, though what I can't understand is how a part-time team, who have had less time pre-season training than us to prepare for these games, can come away with victory and hold their own? Do they take a different mental approach to these games and we still use it as a 'pre-season'?

It doesn't worry me in the slightest that we were defeated in this game with it being so early on, though the comparison to resources etc, I would have expected us to pick up the required points.

We were a shambles tbh. We played a strange 4-3-3 formation which didn't really work at all. None of the five new signings that started played well and we got what we deserved, which was a defeat.

Arbroath obviously have players who aren't as good as ours, and a much lower budget. The difference was they're a well coached and well drilled side. We certainly aren't and we haven't been since Robinson arrived.

23 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

Had we taken our chances we could have come away with a 4 or 4 to 1 score line in our favour and the feedback on social media would have been very different. We didn’t. Marcus Fraser ( I think it was) switched off despite Carson shouting to him to mark the player. He didn’t. They scored. Well done them.

58 minutes ago, Rascal said:

Had we taken our chances we could have come away with a 4 or 4 to 1 score line in our favour and the feedback on social media would have been very different. We didn’t. Marcus Fraser ( I think it was) switched off despite Carson shouting to him to mark the player. He didn’t. They scored. Well done them.

Really ?   If my aunt had balls she’d be my Uncle 🙄

We only had two shots on target the whole game &, we hit the bar, they hit the post but most important stat of all……. They scored .

We lost , we were slow, devoid of creativity , lacked sharpness up front and were hesitant & lacked focus n concentration  at the back. 

We have to throw it over our shoulder, hopefully the coaching team will be replaying the videos, highlighting where we failed and what we must do to improve before the next game and certainly before the  league starts and the players do as they are instructed during the game .

Just now, Callum Gilhooley said:

Really ?   If my aunt had balls she’d be my Uncle 🙄

We only had two shots on target the whole game &, we hit the bar, they hit the post but most important stat of all……. They scored .

We lost , we were slow, devoid of creativity , lacked sharpness up front and were hesitant & lacked focus n concentration  at the back. 

We have to throw it over our shoulder, hopefully the coaching team will be replaying the videos, highlighting where we failed and what we must do to improve before the next game and certainly before the  league starts and the players do as they are instructed during the game .

No argument from me on the shots on target. Overall we had around twice the number of attempts they had. Fact. The hard fact is that the stat that counts went their way as one of our experienced defenders went to sleep deep into injury time. I met a neutral today who had been at the game and thought that 4-5 to one for us would have better reflected play. I don’t agree but a score draw might have been fair as Arbroath stepped up their work rate greatly in the second half and improved their time on the ball. Opinions. Great

4 minutes ago, Rascal said:

No argument from me on the shots on target. Overall we had around twice the number of attempts they had. Fact. The hard fact is that the stat that counts went their way as one of our experienced defenders went to sleep deep into injury time. I met a neutral today who had been at the game and thought that 4-5 to one for us would have better reflected play. I don’t agree but a score draw might have been fair as Arbroath stepped up their work rate greatly in the second half and improved their time on the ball. Opinions. Great

Brilliant, a complete Olga korbut, 180 degree flip, beep beep reversing post. 🤪

Edited by faraway saint

A draw would’ve made a big difference as getting out of the group would essentially still be in our own hands. Group winners and best 3 group runners up qualify. That injury time sucker punch was a real sore one, even forgetting worrying about the inept performance. 
The League Cup should be something that we aim to get a decent run in so not getting out the group is poor.
Hopefully Arbroath slip up and we can get our finger out and start taking our chances. 

4 minutes ago, Balmullo Bud said:

A draw would’ve made a big difference as getting out of the group would essentially still be in our own hands. Group winners and best 3 group runners up qualify. That injury time sucker punch was a real sore one, even forgetting worrying about the inept performance. 
The League Cup should be something that we aim to get a decent run in so not getting out the group is poor.
Hopefully Arbroath slip up and we can get our finger out and start taking our chances. 

Agree. Need to keep concentration for full 90 minutes plus. Right back switched off and they scored. Despite making many opportunities, we didn’t. A point and a bonus point would have been just reward imo.  Got to give credit to Arbroath. They stick at it, work hard and used their subs to step up the pace. Good management

Edited by Rascal

1 hour ago, Rascal said:

Utter rubbish. Their keeper didn't make a save the whole game. Doesn't matter how many shots we have, if their not on target. You sound like Tom Hendrie when he said we should have won since we had more corners. 

12 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Utter rubbish. Their keeper didn't make a save the whole game. Doesn't matter how many shots we have, if their not on target. You sound like Tom Hendrie when he said we should have won since we had more corners. 

No. I am giving my opinion. Just as you are giving yours. I also quoted the views of a neutral fan who was there. 

As I said, we made opportunities but didn’t convert enough of these to be shots on target and asking questions of their goalkeeper. 

Obviously this has troubled us in the past and still does but I like the movement and strength of the big Number 7. I also thought Henderson did well going forward and putting decent balls over.

Again, a lot of credit has to go to Arbroath who set up well and worked their socks off. If this was a banana skin, we skipped on it but I prefer to give credit to our opponents.

3 minutes ago, Rascal said:

No. I am giving my opinion. Just as you are giving yours. I also quoted the views of a neutral fan who was there. 

Was this fan Stevie Wonder by chance? 

My guess is you made him up. :lol

There's been NOT ONE POST suggesting your original "opinion" it could have been 4-1. :byebye

Brilliant, I do love a laugh. :lol:

Just now, faraway saint said:

Was this fan Stevie Wonder by chance? 

My guess is you made him up. :lol

There's been NOT ONE POST suggesting your original "opinion" it could have been 4-1. :byebye

Brilliant, I do love a laugh. :lol:

No worries wee man. 

My opinion was/is that a draw was about right as neither side had their accurate shooting boots on. 

I passed on the opinion of a neutral who was there. They actually thought, on chances created, that SM might have won 4 or 5 to 1.

If I recall the stats. First half we had around 65% possession. The fact that we finished up with around 55% shows that Arbroath stepped up their game in the second half. Good for them and full credit.

Doesnt mean that I didn’t see both positives and negatives in our own performance. 

1 minute ago, Rascal said:

No worries wee man. 

My opinion was/is that a draw was about right as neither side had their accurate shooting boots on. 

I passed on the opinion of a neutral who was there. They actually thought, on chances created, that SM might have won 4 or 5 to 1.

If I recall the stats. First half we had around 65% possession. The fact that we finished up with around 55% shows that Arbroath stepped up their game in the second half. Good for them and full credit.

Doesnt mean that I didn’t see both positives and negatives in our own performance. 

1. You gave that as YOUR opinion, you only wheeled out this mythical neutral when challenged on your opinion , as if to back up your argument . Btw, what f**king neutral pays to watch St.mIrren V Arbroath ?  We couldn’t even convince our own supporters to do that 😂😂😂

2. “if I recall the stats “ ? You obviously recall them from some other bloody game , 2 Shots on target V Arbroaths 1 .  +  Woodwork hit by both teams but the stat you seem to be missing is Arbroath 1 . 

1 minute ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

1. You gave that as YOUR opinion, you only wheeled out this mythical neutral when challenged on your opinion , as if to back up your argument . Btw, what f**king neutral pays to watch St.mIrren V Arbroath ?  We couldn’t even convince our own supporters to do that 😂😂😂

2. “if I recall the stats “ ? You obviously recall them from some other bloody game , 2 Shots on target V Arbroaths 1 .  +  Woodwork hit by both teams but the stat you seem to be missing is Arbroath 1 . 

You seem to be upset. I know we lost. I get that. I get that the only stat that matters is that we lost by one goal.

I’m not ecstatic about that but neither am I in the depths of despair. We had more possession, more attempts but switched off late in defence and paid the price. Tough to take but that’s the game I enjoy watching. 

I didn’t think it was a dreadful game. I do think we could and should have done better but I prefer to give credit to Arbroath who handled the game well, made good substitutions, stepped up the pace and got a reward

i Will ignore your jibe about the neutral. They offered their opinion and I repeated it.

My personal take was that a draw was about right.

Just now, Rascal said:

You seem to be upset. I know we lost. I get that. I get that the only stat that matters is that we lost by one goal.

I’m not ecstatic about that but neither am I in the depths of despair. We had more possession, more attempts but switched off late in defence and paid the price. Tough to take but that’s the game I enjoy watching. 

I didn’t think it was a dreadful game. I do think we could and should have done better but I prefer to give credit to Arbroath who handled the game well, made good substitutions, stepped up the pace and got a reward

i Will ignore your jibe about the neutral. They offered their opinion and I repeated it.

Been said many times, no shame or class. :1eye

Squirm, squirm, wriggle wriggle, and deeper and deeper. :lol:

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Been said many times, no shame or class. :1eye

Squirm, squirm, wriggle wriggle, and deeper and deeper. :lol:

And you too seem upset.

Is it not right to give Arbroath Credit for stepping up their game in the second half and taking advantage of poor defending to score? Well done them.

Is it not right to mention both the positives and negatives from the game from last SM angle? I think it is. We weren’t great but we weren’t as bad as being made out. 

As for the rest - get over it.

Opinions differ, I listen to others and respect them but don’t have to agree. That works both ways - doesn’t it?

Just now, Rascal said:

And you too seem upset.

Is it not right to give Arbroath Credit for stepping up their game in the second half and taking advantage of poor defending to score? Well done them.

Is it not right to mention both the positives and negatives from the game from last SM angle? I think it is. We weren’t great but we weren’t as bad as being made out. 

As for the rest - get over it.

Opinions differ, I listen to others and respect them but don’t have to agree. That works both ways - doesn’t it?

^^^ Total embarrassment.  

15 minutes ago, Rascal said:

And you seem a tad confused .  
I thought the multiple  laughing emojis may have let you know that I simply found your take on the match , including your remarkable 180 regarding what the outcome should have been laughable. 

You carry on In your own wee world Walter 😂😂😂

1 minute ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

And you seem a tad confused .  
I thought the multiple  laughing emojis may have let you know that I simply found your take on the match , including your remarkable 180 regarding what the outcome should have been laughable. 

You carry on In your own wee world Walter 😂😂😂

No problem to me CG. I will resist using emojis. I might not agree with you but I have neither positive or negative opinions on you as a person and it will stay that way. Enjoy your games and post away to your hearts content. If I were in PR, I would hire yourself and the Wee Man to promote interest in my posts. Keep up the good work