St.Mirren v Hartlepool - July 5th

FTOF

16 hours ago, Rascal said:

We certainly loved to “hate” him.

My best memory of him was the dejected look on his face when Jure Travner scored a stoppage time winner in 2010. I have it on youtube but the camera work was affected by all in the stadium going wild. Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

9 minutes ago, Warrior Saint said:

You would need to be a sad individual to go and see this, a training session is all it is....no thanks....about 8 games before season really starts so plenty time for needless injuries.. .don't get it.

Why?

You get to see the new players in a more relaxed atmosphere but NOT just in training. The players get to play together in a real match and start to understand each other in playing conditions. And. You're talking about players who have honed their skills in a competitive environment so, to them, it's not just a kickabout. It's an important part of the conditioning process. There's also the fact that fans can have a chance to reunite without the worry of a result.

All good AFAIC.

3 hours ago, Warrior Saint said:

You would need to be a sad individual to go and see this, a training session is all it is....no thanks....about 8 games before season really starts so plenty time for needless injuries.. .don't get it.

Season starts 4 days after this game. Playing matches like this are an essential part of getting squads gelling and attaining proper match fitness.  I would be massively disappointed in my team and it’s management if they looked upon participation in a National cup competition as a training session. 

Teams need time to gel, playing bounce games between ourselves at Ralston is no substitute.

2 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Will you still be saying that if we replicate 2013 ? 

Straight to the point. 

I doubt it. Cup competitions are the ones that provide opportunities for clubs outside the top 2 to win a trophy. I also like the format. I like that I can watch teams I wouldn’t normally see.

Edited by Rascal

10 minutes ago, Warrior Saint said:

In what universe would you look forward to seeing Arbroath??

In 50 years I just looked forward to seeing St Mirren. Feck who we were playing against.

12 minutes ago, waldorf34 said:

In light of the cash shortfall re the old firm and the family stand , should we now charge season ticket  holders £10 for this game ,raising  £20k? 

Eh naw. Season tickets are up about 10% and the Saturday after we will be asked to pay for the first cup game. Best to keep free sort out any gremlins then try to get more folk in to the game on Saturday with reasonable priced tickets and good football that will bring more folk in for the next cup game. 

Quote:  In what universe would you look forward to seeing Arbroath??

Although brought up in Paisley and a lifelong Buddies fan, I now live closer to Arbroath than Paisley. So I often go to watch Arbroath on Saturdays when I can't make it to Greenhill Road, and I enjoy watching the Lichties. Always been a stuffy, hard-to-beat team, but Dick Campbell has made a big difference to them in recent years and they really excelled last season of course. I was pleased to see them in Buddies' League Cup group. That game will be a good test of Buddies at the start of the season. I'm sure Arbroath will give them a good game, but I will certainly be supporting Buddies to come out on top.

55 minutes ago, pondsman said:

Quote:  In what universe would you look forward to seeing Arbroath??

Although brought up in Paisley and a lifelong Buddies fan, I now live closer to Arbroath than Paisley. So I often go to watch Arbroath on Saturdays when I can't make it to Greenhill Road, and I enjoy watching the Lichties. Always been a stuffy, hard-to-beat team, but Dick Campbell has made a big difference to them in recent years and they really excelled last season of course. I was pleased to see them in Buddies' League Cup group. That game will be a good test of Buddies at the start of the season. I'm sure Arbroath will give them a good game, but I will certainly be supporting Buddies to come out on top.

Perfectly understandable, particularly given their meteoric rise over the last few seasons. I even went to see them play Partick Thistle last season, though the game itself was dreadful, that was mostly the fault of the 'pitch'.  

You should meet up with @faraway saint, as he goes to watch them, too! :) 

12 hours ago, Warrior Saint said:

In what universe would you look forward to seeing Arbroath??

As I said, it’s an opportunity to watch other teams than those we usually play and Arbroath have just had a great season in the Championship and look to be no pushovers. No reason I wouldn’t look forward to it. If I understand the game properly we still need two teams of 11 players from two different teams to make a game. Back to Hartlepool. Never seen them so this will be a first, a novelty if you like.

Edited by Rascal

1 minute ago, Warrior Saint said:

I actually wouldn't go to these if you paid me to go in. Absolute borefest of highest level. Far to many games before season starts proper and needless injuries, Brophy and Dunne prob be injured for season starting.

No complaint from me. All about opinions.