The Falklands War 40th Anniversary

shull

All wars are an unnecessary loss of life, however the show of strength by the UK military and refusal to abandon UK citizens would not be repeated by today's government.

This was necessary and a show of power the UK needed at the time .

I do wonder how Thatcher and Regan would have dealt with Putin, I bet he wouldn't have had the balls to push us under firm leadership. 

12 minutes ago, guinness said:

Thatcher manufactured the Falklands Conflict. Could have been prevented.

Aye , she sent Galtieri a wee postcard saying “please invade the Falklands “ 🙄

I am not Thatchers biggest fan, in fact I detest the evil bitch but to suggest that is ludicrous. Galtieri invaded the Islands in a desperate effort to get support for his unpopular Government . 

I wasn’t in favour of the war at the time and deplore the waste of life on both sides of mainly young men doing what they were trained and told to do by leaders who were hundreds and thousands of miles away. Nevertheless I acknowledge the sacrifices these young folks made.

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Aye , she sent Galtieri a wee postcard saying “please invade the Falklands “ 🙄

I am not Thatchers biggest fan, in fact I detest the evil bitch but to suggest that is ludicrous. Galtieri invaded the Islands in a desperate effort to get support for his unpopular Government . 

Aye… but…

the Malvinas have always been a HUGE thing for all Argentines.  Like China “owning” the Isle of Wight.  There would be questions about the morality and logic of that.

Argentina had been trying to talk to UK about their offshore islands for decades.  UK refused to talk at all.

Thatcher reacted as she did, because, like Gaultieri she was a massively unpopular bitch.  Her tenure was at an end.  Chucking away all those young lives for chunks of boggy rocks (that only a few in UK could pinpoint)was her easy and immoral decision.

Imperial nonsense.

Ach, lots of drivel being posted on here.

1) Argentinians are not native to South America. They speak Spanish, a language from Spain...in Europe. They are overwhelmingly of European ancestry and just as much colonists as the British.

2) Comparing the Falklands to the Isle of Wight is risible. The Falklands are three hundred miles off the coast of Argentina! The Isle of Wight is 3 miles off the English mainland.

3) The Falklands were settled by mostly Welsh people and consider themselves British. They have been given a referendum to determine their own future and voted overwhelmingly to remain British.

The Falklands War is arguably the most legitimate of all wars that we have fought, as it was British territory invaded by a foreign power.

7 hours ago, W6er said:

1) Argentinians are not native to South America. They speak Spanish, a language from Spain...in Europe. They are overwhelmingly of European ancestry and just as much colonists as the British.

2) Comparing the Falklands to the Isle of Wight is risible. The Falklands are three hundred miles off the coast of Argentina! The Isle of Wight is 3 miles off the English mainland.

3) The Falklands were settled by mostly Welsh people and consider themselves British. They have been given a referendum to determine their own future and voted overwhelmingly to remain British.

The Falklands War is arguably the most legitimate of all wars that we have fought, as it was British territory invaded by a foreign power.

W6er.  Two remnants of past imperial power involved. Not for the first time in the world. I wonder who gave the right to Spain, UK , Portugal and others to travel around claiming territory where there were existing indigenous populations or none. The answer was military power. The Welsh, Irish and Scots settled in many places as they were disproportionately represented in the armed forces of the empire. I feel for people who lost their lives or were injured in a needless war. Sad

11 hours ago, antrin said:

Aye… but…

the Malvinas have always been a HUGE thing for all Argentines.  Like China “owning” the Isle of Wight.  There would be questions about the morality and logic of that.

Argentina had been trying to talk to UK about their offshore islands for decades.  UK refused to talk at all.

Thatcher reacted as she did, because, like Gaultieri she was a massively unpopular bitch.  Her tenure was at an end.  Chucking away all those young lives for chunks of boggy rocks (that only a few in UK could pinpoint)was her easy and immoral decision.

Imperial nonsense.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falkland_Islands  Worth reading the History section.

10 hours ago, W6er said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_peoples_in_Argentina

11 hours ago, antrin said:

Aye… but…

Imperial nonsense.

a war justified by the idea that the ownership of the Falklands gave mineral rights for huge tracts of the antartic, which was a disgrace.

Just now, beyond our ken said:

a war justified by the idea that the ownership of the Falklands gave mineral rights for huge tracts of the antartic, which was a disgrace.

Oh I got that BYK. Nothing to do with integrity.

11 hours ago, W6er said:

1.  What relevance (other than you posting drivel) does your comment have to what I wrote?

2.  I used and island off the coast o Britain as an example.  I should have considered the hard of thinking when I posted that. My apologies.  Should I have used the island of Gibraltar as its disputed ownership is in the same ball park as Malvinas?

3.  The first settlement established on Malvinas was French.

At various times, the islands have had French, British, Spanish, and Argentine settlements. Britain reasserted its rule in 1833, but Argentina maintains its claim to the islands.

it was and has been a disputed territory pretty much since it was sighted by Europeans - there is little legitimacy or morality underpinning UK’s maintenance of far flung outposts of Empire.

33 minutes ago, antrin said:

1.  What relevance (other than you posting drivel) does your comment have to what I wrote?

2.  I used and island off the coast o Britain as an example.  I should have considered the hard of thinking when I posted that. My apologies.  Should I have used the island of Gibraltar as its disputed ownership is in the same ball park as Malvinas?

3.  The first settlement established on Malvinas was French.

At various times, the islands have had French, British, Spanish, and Argentine settlements. Britain reasserted its rule in 1833, but Argentina maintains its claim to the islands.

it was and has been a disputed territory pretty much since it was sighted by Europeans - there is little legitimacy or morality underpinning UK’s maintenance of far flung outposts of Empire.

Have I missed something here ? 🤔😉

14 hours ago, W6er said:

The Argentinians had threatened to recapture "The Malvinas" on previous occassions but the British government sent ships on manouvres to discourage them. This worked. Thatcher made a conscious decision to leave them open to invasion. She was on a downward spiral as far as popularity was concerned and there was an election nearing.

3 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

The Argentinians had threatened to recapture "The Malvinas" on previous occassions but the British government sent ships on manouvres to discourage them. This worked .Thatcher made a conscious decision to leave them open to invasion. She was on a downward spiral as far as popularity was concerned and there was an election nearing.

Did she? :wacko:

So she also invited the Argentinian president to have a go to suit her political future? 

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

Did she? :wacko:

So she also invited the Argentinian president to have a go to suit her political future? 

There is a lot of truth in that. Wars that you can win quickly and decisively are usually politically beneficial to the party in power. 

I rather accidentally stumbled upon the documentary last night on bbc. It was shocking to see and hear the conditions of those ex soldiers taking part. Wheat I remember about those days was the feeling of shame that a right wing government (just as we have now) was able to win an election based purely on a war. Not proud in any way of this country and those previously and currently “running things” . Shameful.

10 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Have I missed something here ? 🤔😉

4 hours ago, StanleySaint said:

No, I was surprised as I've driven on to the enclave so I'm pretty sure it isn't an island, and the bit thag connects it is also the runway!

Mea culpa.  Apologies.  Gib is not an island.
I was aware, just dashing of a pissed-off response to earlier drivel.  

Same thrust of argument applies.   Imho.

5 hours ago, Saint@Johnstone said:

I rather accidentally stumbled upon the documentary last night on bbc. It was shocking to see and hear the conditions of those ex soldiers taking part. Wheat I remember about those days was the feeling of shame that a right wing government (just as we have now) was able to win an election based purely on a war. Not proud in any way of this country and those previously and currently “running things” . Shameful.

I watched it this evening. Best documentary I have seen on the conflict. Well worth watching. 

A07FD6AA-3947-4A42-91C9-F4831E944D69.jpeg