Memorable Changes in Technology

faraway saint

41 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

Ok I'll go full saddo on this one, I still have my Megadrive safely stored away, my brother and I started off with a ZX Spectrum like so many others, I currently have a PS1, PS2 and a further PS2 (smaller sized version), PS3, PSP and a PS4, the latter I played 2K21 golf game on yesterday. Was waiting for the new Touring Cars game that was supposed to be coming out this year but that seems to have been shelved. I'm sure a few people enjoyed the TOCA games of the past. Have always enjoyed the sports games never one for plstform games much though.

Ok, I'll go full saddo too.

I confess that I don't understand a single sentence of your post SS.

Maybe I've missed out on 30-odd years of endless fun and excitement, or maybe I've just done different things with my life.

😁

Was never really into those games except for Sonic

Used to love the old arcade style Space Invaders.There was a cheat on it and if you fired so many shots and then stopped,,can’t remember the numbers now,you scored 300 points every time you hit the wee space ship 🛸 
I remember being in Morecambe for a weekend and St Mirren FC (me) had the top 10 scores on the machine 

As for others………..

I just couldn’t get to grips with the Greens on the Golf games

I probably had higher defeats than Bon Accord at FIFA 😂

Give me a good old fashioned Pin Ball machine anytime Used to spend hours playing them 

I absolutely love pinball tables @HSS

I wish I could own one but very expensive. Personal favourite is this one which they have released a 40th anniversary edition.

https://sternpinball.com/game/elviras-house-of-horrors/

https://www.homeleisuredirect.com/pinball-machines/new-pinball-machines/stern-elviras-house-of-horrors-premium-pinball-machine.html

I have an iPad and you can play that game and many others on it, but it’s not the same as a proper table.

16 minutes ago, HSS said:

Was never really into those games except for Sonic

Used to love the old arcade style Space Invaders.There was a cheat on it and if you fired so many shots and then stopped,,can’t remember the numbers now,you scored 300 points every time you hit the wee space ship 🛸 
I remember being in Morecambe for a weekend and St Mirren FC (me) had the top 10 scores on the machine 

As for others………..

I just couldn’t get to grips with the Greens on the Golf games

I probably had higher defeats than Bon Accord at FIFA 😂

Give me a good old fashioned Pin Ball machine anytime Used to spend hours playing them 

I/we still use the Nintendo Wii, some games are more "playable" than others, we have it hooked up out in the garden room.

I find the golf and darts are shit, or maybe that's just me.

Ten pin bowling is great, good when you've had a few drinks with friends over. 

PS Meant to say I play a decent golf game on my phone, Golf Master, quite playable. :thumbs2

Edited by faraway saint

For me it's music, used to buy lots of 7" vinyll when a kid, then moved on to CD singles with my CD decks. used to love a Saturday going to Tower records, HMV in Glasgow. Our Price, Stereo 1 (Upstairs) and Record Factory in Paisley. Taking a gamble on a remix cause the producer or remixer had done a belter of a song/remix a month or so before. Getting home and finding it was also a cracking song. Download my music now. yeah its convenient but not the same.

I've converted a lot of it to MP3 format, got tonnes of musice on my phone, along with my own personal mixes of music I like but nothing bet going to shop and finding a tune.

Just now, chalky1 said:

For me it's music, used to buy lots of 7" vinyll when a kid, then moved on to CD singles with my CD decks. used to love a Saturday going to Tower records, HMV in Glasgow. Our Price, Stereo 1 (Upstairs) and Record Factory in Paisley. Taking a gamble on a remix cause the producer or remixer had done a belter of a song/remix a month or so before. Getting home and finding it was also a cracking song. Download my music now. yeah its convenient but not the same.

I've converted a lot of it to MP3 format, got tonnes of musice on my phone, along with my own personal mixes of music I like but nothing bet going to shop and finding a tune.

In contrast I found back in the early days I "found" lots of different versions of songs, live, remixed, extended etc from Napster.

It also opened up my range of music as it cost nothing to download a song by a new artist, if you likes it, go for the album, if you didn't delete it.

Certainly I have a wider range now that I did when I had to make a purchase.

I have downloaded some stuff that I thought would be good, only to discover the album wasn't my cup of tea. 

19 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

In contrast I found back in the early days I "found" lots of different versions of songs, live, remixed, extended etc from Napster.

It also opened up my range of music as it cost nothing to download a song by a new artist, if you likes it, go for the album, if you didn't delete it.

Certainly I have a wider range now that I did when I had to make a purchase.

I have downloaded some stuff that I thought would be good, only to discover the album wasn't my cup of tea. 

I now download my music, I can hear the track before purchasing which works for me. Also subscribed to a few youtube channels so get to know about remixes etc. Still look at the record label, producer, artist and remixer though. that will never change, lol

1 hour ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

For me one of the major technology advances is IT data storage. When I started working in IT in the 80s we had massive rooms housing IBM hard drives that each stored a massive 2GB of data each costing over £100,000

https://www.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/storage/storage_3380.html

Now you can buy 1024GB flash memory card for £25.

In 1968, I started a life in computing, by writing programs (various languages) on the huge computer at Rootes in Linwood.

It (and us humans running and feeding it) took up the whole ground floor of (RHS as you look at) the remaining, existing building. (From road pov).  Massive IBM machine

Its CPU (brain/central processing Unit) was the equivalent of….  32k.

Nowadays, just 1 page of a Microsoft document is 40k.

43 minutes ago, antrin said:

In 1968, I started a life in computing, by writing programs (various languages) on the huge computer at Rootes in Linwood.

It (and us humans running and feeding it) took up the whole ground floor of (RHS as you look at) the remaining, existing building. (From road pov).  Massive IBM machine

Its CPU (brain/central processing Unit) was the equivalent of….  32k.

Nowadays, just 1 page of a Microsoft document is 40k.

Is there now not more technology in your mobile than what was on the Apollo mission to the moon, lol. Scary technology

2 hours ago, antrin said:

Did you work beside George Edgar ? I remember him from when I worked upstairs for a few years from the mid-70s.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Did you work beside George Edgar ? I remember him from when I worked upstairs for a few years from the mid-70s.

I worked in all the departments upstairs at one time or another.  Enjoyed O+M and Payroll/other Accounts.

George was my hero and mentor (despite being a bluenose).  I was just another in a line of apprentices passing through, but I did an aptitude test and he kinda signed me up… and taught me to drive (so he could enjoy going to the pub) and got me pay rises.

great guy.

( moved on to London in June 1970)

bumped into him in Anchor Mills when I was in there for my Faither’s leaving do some years later.  It was an unofficial do, and  I shouldnae have been in there.  (The Print Shop).  There was evident alcohol.  Cake, sandwiches…

The “shut” door opened…. A big guy with a suit and tie walked in!

:o

Ooops….worries…. Concerns for the Print’s sub-manager about what to say….

Nae Buddie knew what to do till the Big Guy recognised me and me him!  We had a hug!

George toasted mah Faither’s health and I toasted George.  We had a few beers later.

He has gone now, I heard.  :(

Edited by antrin

New Technology. In 1967 we installed a computer in our HO in London and transferred accounts records.  It took up a whole floor. In 1985 we installed a router and service area and it took one floor of one of my offices in Glasgow. In 1986 we started linking front desk and rear desk operations directly to the main frame. In 1990 we started installing desk top computers. I was considered “too senior” to receive any training. Bad mistake as I lost my PA in 1991. Was like losing my right arm. No more saying, you know what to say to these, contact these, ask these to come and see me or for me to go and see them and keep the diary. Best Buy of Technology was the Human One, my PA Catherine. Never met better.

50 minutes ago, antrin said:

I worked in all the departments upstairs at one time or another.  Enjoyed O+M and Payroll/other Accounts.

George was my hero and mentor (despite being a bluenose).  I was just another in a line of apprentices passing through, but I did an aptitude test and he kinda signed me up… and taught me to drive (so he could enjoy going to the pub) and got me pay rises.

great guy.

( moved on to London in June 1970)

bumped into him in Anchor Mills when I was in there for my Faither’s leaving do some years later.  It was an unofficial do, and  I shouldnae have been in there.  (The Print Shop).  There was evident alcohol.  Cake, sandwiches…

The “shut” door opened…. A big guy with a suit and tie walked in!

:o

Ooops….worries…. Concerns for the Print’s sub-manager about what to say….

Nae Buddie knew what to do till the Big Guy recognised me and me him!  We had a hug!

George toasted mah Faither’s health and I toasted George.  We had a few beers later.

He has gone now, I heard.  :(

My wife worked For him at Coats. She always speaks well of him. Fought hard to get them enhanced redundancy payments. Has been dead for quite a few years now. Although a blue nose he was a decent man.

51 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Eventually we will probably be a totally cashless society. 

The cost of living crisis will mean many people with be cashless. Broke.

22 hours ago, Rascal said:

New Technology. In 1967 we installed a computer in our HO in London and transferred accounts records.  It took up a whole floor. In 1985 we installed a router and service area and it took one floor of one of my offices in Glasgow. In 1986 we started linking front desk and rear desk operations directly to the main frame. In 1990 we started installing desk top computers. I was considered “too senior” to receive any training. Bad mistake as I lost my PA in 1991. Was like losing my right arm. No more saying, you know what to say to these, contact these, ask these to come and see me or for me to go and see them and keep the diary. Best Buy of Technology was the Human One, my PA Catherine. Never met better.

I don't really understand this post other than that you wanted us to know you were "too senior" and had a PA ?