Memorable Changes in Technology

faraway saint

1 hour ago, lenziebud said:

I don't really understand this post other than that you wanted us to know you were "too senior" and had a PA ?

It happened to lots of people at that level of management who didn't type and hadn't used computers.Β  When info is coming into you from sources that you're not trained to use, then it makes the job well nigh impossible.

Β 

PAs were highly skilled, took responsibilities on and were well rewarded.Β  A laptop was cheaper though...

2 minutes ago, antrin said:

It happened to lots of people at that level of management who didn't type and hadn't used computers.Β  When info is coming into you from sources that you're not trained to use, then it makes the job well nigh impossible.

Β 

PAs were highly skilled, took responsibilities on and were well rewarded.Β  A laptop was cheaper though...

Utter drivel.Β 

7 minutes ago, antrin said:

I'm sure an itinerant Janitor has a keen perception of "drivel" in business circles.Β  :lol:

Β 

My career is irrelevant in this issue.Β :wacko:

It was pointed out your "pal" had posted his usual rambling shite, which, hilariously you try to defend.Β :lol:

Keep it up, your looking like more of an old fool every day.Β :byebye

Β 

Β 

You jumped into something you knew nothing about (as usual) and attempted to insult (not a pal, but...) a perfectly decent poster (from who you could learn much).

I simply explained (not to you) what was meant by the post.Β  If you weren't working at that time, it might have seemed inexplicable.

Β 

You're so young and infallible(in your blinkered head).Β 

I hope this helps?Β Β :rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, antrin said:

You jumped into something you knew nothing about (as usual) and attempted to insult (not a pal, but...) a perfectly decent poster (from who you could learn much).

I simply explained (not to you) what was meant by the post.Β  If you weren't working at that time, it might have seemed inexplicable.

Β 

You're so young and infallible(in your blinkered head).Β 

I hope this helps?Β Β :rolleyes:

I jumped into something?Β Β :wacko:

That's what a forum is about.

I knew nothing about..................another assumption by you who thinks he's a cut above everybody, backed up by you trying to make a fool of a janitor as a job.Β Β 

As for your pal being a decent poster, you're getting mixed up as he's nothing but a spammer, although you can't see that as you've lost the plot year by year.

I'm so young, compared to you, so you got that right.

You rarely help in anything, thanks anyway.Β 

Edited by faraway saint

:lol:

Ricky/Rascal is no more a spammer than you. And that's what gets on your tits - and THAT's why...Β  (instead of offering an explanation of what Rascal had said to someone who asked what he had meant)... you immediately jumped in with baseless insults.Β  "Blawhard", you wrote.Β 

That's YOU that is!

You really ARE envious of all the attention he has stolen from you - AND - he refuses to be as bilious about you, as you are of him.Β  Your patter to him is as water of a duck's back.Β  He's dignified.Β  You could learn from him.

Β 

He's a bit of a Saint - which is apposite, eh?Β  :)

On 6/17/2022 at 10:12 PM, faraway saint said:

Just flicking through Netflix and it occured to me that in my almost 64 years there's been many things that have been memorable as time has passed.

One of the early things was out first colour TV, the first programme that I remember watching was Up Pompei and just being amazed at colour.Β 

No real idea when, can't be arsed Googling, too much searching goes on, I'll just stick with my memory of Frankie Howard in glorious colour.Β 

First thing I saw in colour was the 1970 FA Cup Final, Leeds v Chelsea, in my schoolmates Hoose in the street that runs alongside Brodie Park. Big Hoose, big telly by standards then, his old man was Oswald Dundas Β who owned the Bookies next to Ronnies Β Bar. If your looking in, Hello Big John Dundas πŸ‘‹

Β 

20 minutes ago, antrin said:

:lol:

Ricky/Rascal is no more a spammer than you. And that's what gets on your tits - and THAT's why...Β  (instead of offering an explanation of what Rascal had said to someone who asked what he had meant)... you immediately jumped in with baseless insults.Β  "Blawhard", you wrote.Β 

That's YOU that is!

You really ARE envious of all the attention he has stolen from you - AND - he refuses to be as bilious about you, as you are of him.Β  Your patter to him is as water of a duck's back.Β  He's dignified.Β  You could learn from him.

Β 

He's a bit of a Saint - which is apposite, eh?Β  :)

Drivel.Β :byebye

17 minutes ago, thomsons dropped it said:

First thing I saw in colour was the 1970 FA Cup Final, Leeds v Chelsea, in my schoolmates Hoose in the street that runs alongside Brodie Park. Big Hoose, big telly by standards then, his old man was Oswald Dundas Β who owned the Bookies next to Ronnies Β Bar. If your looking in, Hello Big John Dundas πŸ‘‹

Β 

That was the first game I seen in colour on the boxΒ 
I think the first programme I seen in colour was Star Trek

For me personally serving my time as a mechanic was the increasing use of electronic ignition thus taking away the hell of adjusting distributor points.

Fast forward quite a few years and now cars, etc are loaded with sensors that need laptops to find out what the hell is wrong with them, then once fixed need laptop to reset any fault lights.

Β 

Sometimes tech advances go too far.

Smart TV's, along with streaming programmes.

TV's having app's and also allowing you to mirror photo's/videos from a phone, or other device, along with them being super slim makes them an everyday item that's changes how we use our TV.

It wasn't that long ago we had one of them big silver coloured TV's that was about 2 feet deep & weighed a ton.Β 

Going back to video recorders, then with Sky providing an easy way to record programmes and now, with various means to catch up you really don't need to record programmes, although I do hang onto this for "convenience".

Β 

Β 

7 hours ago, lenziebud said:

I don't really understand this post other than that you wanted us to know you were "too senior" and had a PA ?

I certainly missed out on any training on the use of computers! I regret that but am very appreciative of the support I got from my PA. I think the β€œtoo senior” bit should have been in italics as nobody was too senior. Everybody had to learn. I missed out.

Edited by Rascal

Bagless hoovers.

I remember well the task of replacing bags full of dirt/dust when my mother asked me to do the hoovering.

Hoovering became my task after we got married so the Dyson we got quite a few years ago was a revelation.

Also, being cordless, makes life a lot easier, although as we now live in a cottage, no stairs to negotiate.

Β 

16 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Bagless hoovers.

I remember well the task of replacing bags full of dirt/dust when my mother asked me to do the hoovering.

Hoovering became my task after we got married so the Dyson we got quite a few years ago was a revelation.

Also, being cordless, makes life a lot easier, although as we now live in a cottage, no stairs to negotiate.

Β 

When did you get married to your mother ?

Touched on this previously but the ability to video message friends/family, was never more important a short time ago when the real lockdown was in place.

Weeks/months of isolation were made more bearable by being able to see people who meant more to us.

We had a Friday night quiz night for a few months, 12-14 people, alternately taking the time to produce a quiz and take part every Friday night, all themed so a distraction to dress up to suit the chosen subject.Β 

People participating from Arbroath, Fife, Paisley & Perth.Β 

A welcome distraction only made possible by technology.Β 

• 4 months later...

Maybe no memorable but I use a bluetooth speaker at work, great wee bit of kit, decent enough sound for the environment I work in and can last almost all day without needing charged, although I mostly have it plugged in most of the day.

I use a small bluetooth speaker in the bathroom but it's battery life is very poor so I was looking for a replace ment.

This, by some way, seems to be a the best replacement for the price, Β£50.

https://buytechieboom.com/en/uk/v1/int/?oid=145&affid=16&sub2=ev3p9vncbiunppuji53e2806&t=1666517841039

As we're getting close to Christmas I've dropped the hint to various family members.Β 

Β 

On 6/19/2022 at 5:18 PM, guinness said:

My wife worked For him at Coats. She always speaks well of him. Fought hard to get them enhanced redundancy payments. Has been dead for quite a few years now. Although a blue nose he was a decent man.

Β 

I wonder if this guy was related to the Edgar family that lived in ColonsayΒ  Rd in Glenburn, or my Mother-in-Law's family who hailed from Ferguslie

Ground probing radr is has been a major tool in protecting workers.Β  It is still both under-used and mis-used but can do so much to prevent humans getting zapped by 33 KV or more or disrupting gas supplies.

You can't do anything about the humans though, I once investigated an incident where a worker identified with GPR a 33Kv supply cable , (unusually coloured grey rather than red) carefully excavated it but decided to "tap" it with a 2m longΒ  spike to see if it could have been a water pipe.Β  The "gentle tap" was enough toΒ  breach the casing and the result was a blast that disintegrated the spike, took 200 houses of the grid and projected shrapnel that pierced the door of his van 50m away where his mate was having lunch.

Edited by beyond our ken

On 6/20/2022 at 5:17 PM, faraway saint said:

I jumped into something?Β Β :wacko:

That's what a forum is about.

I knew nothing about..................another assumption by you who thinks he's a cut above everybody, backed up by you trying to make a fool of a janitor as a job.Β Β 

As for your pal being a decent poster, you're getting mixed up as he's nothing but a spammer, although you can't see that as you've lost the plot year by year.

I'm so young, compared to you, so you got that right.

You rarely help in anything, thanks anyway.Β 

Comedy gold! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

1 hour ago, beyond our ken said:

I wonder if this guy was related to the Edgar family that lived in ColonsayΒ  Rd in Glenburn, or my Mother-in-Law's family who hailed from Ferguslie

I knew an Edgar family who lived in Ferguslie, there was a couple of brothers who were slightly older than me, one was called George, I'm pretty sure there father died in a house fire..

2 hours ago, Helmettroll said:

I knew an Edgar family who lived in Ferguslie, there was a couple of brothers who were slightly older than me, one was called George, I'm pretty sure there father died in a house fire..

That is my Wife's uncle, or was.Β  I never met him (it happened early in our marriage).Β  It was a classic Scottish chip pan fire after a night in the pub