The one that didn’t get away!

Rascal

54 minutes ago, Rascal said:

What a whopper! Both the fish and the story. The Mekong is a long, steady flowing river. Never thought that a fish this big would be in the river, especially in fresh water so far from the sea. https://amp.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jun/20/largest-freshwater-fish-ever-recorded-caught-in-cambodia

Where else would you expect to find a freshwater fish?

40 minutes ago, Slarti said:

Where else would you expect to find a freshwater fish?

Ah……it was found in freshwater. Unusual at this sort of size. Like a salmon It is migratory. More commonly seen to grow huge in the sea or perhaps in the Mekong Delta. I know you will be familiar with the Delta and it’s nature. Very rich in biodiversity. Have I mentioned my visits to Ho Chi Min City or Hanoi?  Great cities. Hi Chi Min has over 5m motorcycles which pack the city. Hanoi is the prettier of the two big cities. The country is moving on. A friend of mine owns a couple of houses on a golf course near the coast.

Edited by Rascal

1 hour ago, Rascal said:

Ah……it was found in freshwater. Unusual at this sort of size. Like a salmon It is migratory. More commonly seen to grow huge in the sea or perhaps in the Mekong Delta. I know you will be familiar with the Delta and it’s nature. Very rich in biodiversity. Have I mentioned my visits to Ho Chi Min City or Hanoi?  Great cities. Hi Chi Min has over 5m motorcycles which pack the city. Hanoi is the prettier of the two big cities. The country is moving on. A friend of mine owns a couple of houses on a golf course near the coast.

The article said it was a freshwater fish.

"The world’s largest recorded freshwater fish, a giant stingray, has been caught in the Mekong River in Cambodia, according to scientists."

11 minutes ago, Slarti said:

The article said it was a freshwater fish.

"The world’s largest recorded freshwater fish, a giant stingray, has been caught in the Mekong River in Cambodia, according to scientists."

Correct. I said it migrates like Salmon do. The whole point of the story is that this was/is unusual. If it was an everyday occurrence then it would not be news. Having travelled on the Mekong nearer the delta it is amazing to think that a fish this big could be in the river. 

21 minutes ago, Rascal said:

Correct. I said it migrates like Salmon do. The whole point of the story is that this was/is unusual. If it was an everyday occurrence then it would not be news. Having travelled on the Mekong nearer the delta it is amazing to think that a fish this big could be in the river. 

The unusual part was that it was the largest recorded, not that they caught a freshwater fish in fresh water.

17 minutes ago, Slarti said:

The unusual part was that it was the largest recorded, not that they caught a freshwater fish in fresh water.

Doing my posts for me now? Exactly. You are a little slow on the uptake I know, but you got there.

In case you make it to Saigon you might want to try this place for a meal. Sits right on the river.

https://www.thedecksaigon.com

Edited by Rascal

Doing my posts for me now? Exactly. You are a little slow on the uptake I know, but you got there.
In case you make it to Saigon you might want to try this place for a meal. Sits right on the river.
https://www.thedecksaigon.com

And yet the "point" you made was

Never thought that a fish this big would be in the river, especially in fresh water so far from the sea.

So, tell me, where exactly would YOU be expecting to find a large freshwater fish?

What you said is like saying "Never thought that a kangaroo this big would be in the outback, especially in Australia, so far from Greenland."

30 minutes ago, Slarti said:

And yet the "point" you made was

So, tell me, where exactly would YOU be expecting to find a large freshwater fish?

What you said is like saying "Never thought that a kangaroo this big would be in the outback, especially in Australia, so far from Greenland."

Keep going

Keep going
Naw, ah'll no' bother. You're like B**, can't admit that you made a mistake/badly phrased something/etc, you just keep replying with more and more nonsensical posts until, like the one above, they make no sense at all. Time for another break from you, I think.

8 minutes ago, Slarti said:
32 minutes ago, Rascal said:
Keep going

Naw, ah'll no' bother. You're like B**, can't admit that you made a mistake/badly phrased something/etc, you just keep replying with more and more nonsensical posts until, like the one above, they make no sense at all. Time for another break from you, I think.

Keep going. You might catch up.

7 hours ago, Slarti said:
8 hours ago, Rascal said:
Keep going

Indeed, no grace, and he'll continue with utter guff time after time. 

Not all there? :1eye

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Oh……..more vitriol. 

Now Mr Intelligence…..let’s see if you can understand…..it’s a freshwater fish but it is migratory.. This means that It goes to sea just as salmon do to mature and GROW but returns to spawn. Get the grow bit?  

It’s unusual to find them at this sort of size in the river and so far from the sea. More normally found / caught at sea. Now a protected species but this and the Giant Catfish , also found in the river, are considered to be both delicacies and medicinal by the Chinese, so illegal fishing takes place.

Apparently there is also a Giant Haddock. I Wonder where we might find that?

6 minutes ago, Rascal said:

Oh……..more vitriol. 

Now Mr Intelligence…..let’s see if you can understand…..it’s a freshwater fish but it is migratory.. This means that It goes to sea just as salmon do to mature and GROW but returns to spawn. Get the grow bit?  

It’s unusual to find them at this sort of size in the river and so far from the sea. More normally found / caught at sea. Now a protected species but this and the Giant Catfish , also found in the river, are considered to be both delicacies and medicinal by the Chinese, so illegal fishing takes place.

Apparently there is also a Giant Haddock. I Wonder where we might find that?

Are you still floundering about in here??

9 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Still defending the undefendable, amusing. 🤡

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

No, simply pointing out your incessant, unnecessarily-nasty abuse of a fellow StMirren fan.

Why do you so loathe your fellow posters?

Taking the pish and slagging are tolerable, often amusing.  It should be a shared, level playing field of… ahem… banter!

You sink below that level, time after time.  :(

1 minute ago, antrin said:

No, simply pointing out your incessant, unnecessarily-nasty abuse of a fellow StMirren fan.

Taking the pish and slagging are tolerable, often amusing.  It should be a shared, level playing field of… ahem… banter!

Haddock are bottom feeders. Maybe that has something to do with the race to the bottom that our Haddie seems determined to lead. Maybe he left “the devils fingerprint”

https://www.blueharvestfisheries.com/news/seafood-101-a-deep-dive-into-haddock

10 minutes ago, antrin said:

Yet you ONLY highlight my posts?

You'd think you had a personal grudge?

Back in your box old boy. 

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Yet you ONLY highlight my posts?

You'd think you had a personal grudge?

Back in your box old boy. 

I feel no need to highlight the posts of other posters. You really are the only one who is so personally nastily, unnecessarily vindictive.

That, allied with your tin ear for humour, is probably why I highlight you.   I let lots go by, if it makes me smile.

I never report your posts… not even those, like above, that betray your self-knowledge of how your body is falling apart under you.  You're scared of that, I guess…. which is why you revert to pathetic ageist slurs. You are envious of older people in better health than you, enjoying a better life.

Racists and Sexists have a similar, repetitive line of pathetic patter, intended to belittle those better than themselves.  Fails every time.

Try to lift your game.