The one that didn’t get away!

Rascal

14 minutes ago, antrin said:

I feel no need to highlight the posts of other posters. You really are the only one who is so personally nastily, unnecessarily vindictive.

That, allied with your tin ear for humour, is probably why I highlight you.   I let lots go by, if it makes me smile.

I never report your posts… not even those, like above, that betray your self-knowledge of how your body is falling apart under you.  You're scared of that, I guess…. which is why you revert to pathetic ageist slurs. You are envious of older people in better health than you, enjoying a better life.

Racists and Sexists have a similar, repetitive line of pathetic patter, intended to belittle those better than themselves.  Fails every time.

Try to lift your game.

🤣🤣🤣

33 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

🤣🤣🤣

The lack of class you display must follow you everywhere you go. That must be a burden. I feel sorry for you but don’t lose all Hope of being a decent human being. It could yet happen. I will watch - but not with much in the way of interest or hope.

1 hour ago, Rascal said:

Oh……..more vitriol. 

Now Mr Intelligence…..let’s see if you can understand…..it’s a freshwater fish but it is migratory.. This means that It goes to sea just as salmon do to mature and GROW but returns to spawn. Get the grow bit?  

It’s unusual to find them at this sort of size in the river and so far from the sea. More normally found / caught at sea. Now a protected species but this and the Giant Catfish , also found in the river, are considered to be both delicacies and medicinal by the Chinese, so illegal fishing takes place.

Apparently there is also a Giant Haddock. I Wonder where we might find that?

Yes, it moves (or, migrates) to a different part of the river system at different times.

Salmon are anadromous fish, not freshwater fish.  They are born in fresh water, mature at sea, then return to fresh water to spawn.  If they did the reverse, lived in freshwater and spawned in the sea, they would be catadromous fish.  If they moved freely between fresh and salt water they would be euryhaline fish.

A freshwater fish lives and spawns in fresh water.  A migratory fish moves to different areas for different reasons (food, spawning, etc) but not necessarily between fresh and salt water.  You do not find freshwater fish, of any size, at sea - unless they got very, very lost.  At least, not living ones.

As I previously said, the surprising bit is its size.  This is because fish that live in rivers have evolved to be smaller (in general), due to space/ability to manoeuvre/food supply/etc, than fish that live at sea.  They were surprised to find A FISH (any fish) of that size outwith the sea, not surprised to find a fish that size of THAT PARTICULAR SPECIES outwith the sea.

Unless the article you linked to is wrong and it's not a freshwater fish but actually an anadromous fish, then all of what I have said applies, and you're talking pish.

But, anyway, I'm really out of this conversation now.

3 hours ago, Slarti said:

Yes, it moves (or, migrates) to a different part of the river system at different times.

Salmon are anadromous fish, not freshwater fish.  They are born in fresh water, mature at sea, then return to fresh water to spawn.  If they did the reverse, lived in freshwater and spawned in the sea, they would be catadromous fish.  If they moved freely between fresh and salt water they would be euryhaline fish.

A freshwater fish lives and spawns in fresh water.  A migratory fish moves to different areas for different reasons (food, spawning, etc) but not necessarily between fresh and salt water.  You do not find freshwater fish, of any size, at sea - unless they got very, very lost.  At least, not living ones.

As I previously said, the surprising bit is its size.  This is because fish that live in rivers have evolved to be smaller (in general), due to space/ability to manoeuvre/food supply/etc, than fish that live at sea.  They were surprised to find A FISH (any fish) of that size outwith the sea, not surprised to find a fish that size of THAT PARTICULAR SPECIES outwith the sea.

Unless the article you linked to is wrong and it's not a freshwater fish but actually an anadromous fish, then all of what I have said applies, and you're talking pish.

But, anyway, I'm really out of this conversation now.

One day you will learn and learn to to save yourself time. Not just yet it seems.

This might help you. Giant Catfish in the Mekong River.  600 lbs. https://education.nationalgeographic.org/resource/giant-catfish

Edited by Rascal