St Mirren v Northampton Town Friendly 5/7/22

shull

After last nights game a believe we definitely short of a alan power or gocig kind of player..flynn is past it and as we all no erhahon just not ip to it either,obviously still brophy and main to return but both not been great for us in scoring goals,hopefully baccus can fill the gap but again goalscoring looks like a problem again 

Northampton moved the ball well and looked  a strong physical team this evening .

The goals we let in from open play were very poorly defended . The team for the second half was very young and it was good to see them get a run out .

OHara looked very good , I think Alunga will cause teams problems.  We were never going to win after making the five subs ( tried to get a bet on at that moment but couldn't) .

But all in all a decent run around . 

12 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Northampton moved the ball well and looked  a strong physical team this evening .

The goals we let in from open play were very poorly defended . The team for the second half was very young and it was good to see them get a run out .

OHara looked very good , I think Alunga will cause teams problems.  We were never going to win after making the five subs ( tried to get a bet on at that moment but couldn't) .

But all in all a decent run around . 

Agree with this. Their goal in the first half was in the comic cuts variety when defending. O’Hara goal was excellent. Even first half (1-1).

Northampton changed their whole team for the second half. In my opinion, a better group of players.

We brought on  5/6 Academy players and I think ( may be wrong) that Richard Tate was the only player to play for the full game. Comic cuts defending again for the second goal and a definite penalty completed the scoring for NT. 

Benefits - Game time for almost all of the players available. Learning opportunities for our young Academy players.  First appearances at home for a number of players.

Positives:  O’Hara scored and was full of running. Ayunga looks to be a threat. I thought both goalkeepers used made good saves.

Ps: The Steak Pie was good.

Last night was my first sighting of Urminsky. I certainly liked what I saw in those 45 minutes. This young man has the perfect build for a keeper and maybe deserves to be given his chance at the number one spot. More impressive than Carson last night IMO.

I reckon there were 7 Academy players from last season on the pitch when Northampton scored their 2nd and 3rd goals.

They all perfrormed reasonably well while they were on. At long last we seem to be giving young players their chance to break into the first team.

Northampton's 1st and 2nd goals were the scrambliest you are ever going to see - both resulting from stramashes within the 6 yard box.

Overall it was a useful training exercise - nothing more - and there are still a few key players still to get involved.

from what it looked like to me l, We played both halves with his preference of 4-3-3.
I have to say that in that formation in the first half that on the left Tait, O'Hara coming to support and Grieve linked up very well.
As much as my son loves Fraser, I thought the right looked weak with Fraser, Flynn and Olusanya. I don't know if this is a combo of not working together long or the fact I felt that Flynn was a bit of a ghost the whole time he was on and that Olusanya only just featuring and not getting to see the pace he supposed to have.
With the 4-3-3 I worry about Kiltie. He got better and better in the pocket in the 3-4-1-2, but in the 4-3-3 looked a bit lost. Not sure if this is due to hom coming on and being with a lot of the academy players or if this formation doesn't suit him.
Time will tell.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, northstbuddie said:

I reckon there were 7 Academy players from last season on the pitch when Northampton scored their 2nd and 3rd goals.

They all perfrormed reasonably well while they were on. At long last we seem to be giving young players their chance to break into the first team.

Northampton's 1st and 2nd goals were the scrambliest you are ever going to see - both resulting from stramashes within the 6 yard box.

Overall it was a useful training exercise - nothing more - and there are still a few key players still to get involved.

As a generality I thought they brought on their first team at the break as opposed to ourselves, we introduced many of the youngsters who may get a chance in the odd game in the League Cup.

One point I would just like to make is that there needs to be a good management policy in place to try to keep Murray Campbell's feet on the ground. Last night was my first sight of this much-vaunted player (if you believe the Press), and I came away with the general thought that maybe he has got a bit caught up in his own hype.

He was petulant, more aggressive than necessary and gave away a cast iron penalty, which wasn't necessary. On the plus side he showed long diagonal searching passes that nearly came off. I liked that aspect, but not much of the rest.

So hopefully the right kind of worldly advice from the experienced players and SR will help calm him down (15 or not) and help him mature into as good a prospect as someone like Bobby Reid.

Fraser Taylor reminds me of a young Archie Gemmill despite the fact that, unlike Reid and Campbell, he does not look old enough to be playing with the big boys. Bags of energy and mobility around the park

And as for Kieren Offord - he nearly scored goal of the season but for a fantastic save from the Northampton Town keeper.

All in all - promising times for the flow of talent from the Academy.

If only we had Gogic for midfield !
Would love him to come, but we must have moved on now surely? He is totally weighing up his options and must be other clubs going to give him more money. Would it be a club that gives him more money and more football than we will? Who knows.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk