The Lionesses Thread

shull

Watched the first half and bit of the second, England played some good counter attacking football as the US adopted a high press but the game was strewn with errors, first England goal was a comedy of defensive errors, the US goal was due to England messing about at the back, 2nd England goal was a penalty that I thought was harsh but VAR said it was and similarly the disallowed US goal was VAR assessing the width of nail varnish. I keep watching hoping the games live up to the hype but for the most part they really don't.

Watched another first half, very poor fare, England huffing and puffing but still looking really ropey at the back, Czechs giving it a go but not really getting in, all in all little bits of quality marred by lots of poor decision making and poor passing. Not watching the second half so tune in for the goals. Nil nil at h/t.

On 10/11/2022 at 8:57 PM, StanleySaint said:

Watched another first half, very poor fare, England huffing and puffing but still looking really ropey at the back, Czechs giving it a go but not really getting in, all in all little bits of quality marred by lots of poor decision making and poor passing. Not watching the second half so tune in for the goals. Nil nil at h/t.

I've got a newly painted room I'd rather watch that women's football. No matter how much the media try to promote it. In the main, it's an affront to football.

10 hours ago, stlucifer said:

I've got a newly painted room I'd rather watch that women's football. No matter how much the media try to promote it. In the main, it's an affront to football.

I wouldn't go that far but it does boil my piss when they talk about equal money, the players in the EPL get paid what they do because of the skill levels they have. To suggest that the lionesses are worth anywhere near that or indeed national league wages is ridiculous. I will though, keep tuning in while it is on cooncil telly to keep an eye on progress.

We keep getting told not to compare the mens and womens games as the two are different beasts .

How exactly ?

Do they play on a different pitch with different rules ,different goals ,different playing time &  different balls ?  ( aye ok , I’ll give ye that one 🙄😉)  

They don’t get the same gates, don’t attract the same level of sponsorship , don’t get the same TV audiences so why if it’s “Not the same game”, not generating the same income or interest should they expect the same money ?  

Im not disputing its improving , I’m not disputing there aren’t some individually talented players but overall , even at the highest level - in my opinion the standard is pretty poor.  

I watched the Scotland / Eire game midweek  - I’ve watched better at the racecourse on a Saturday . And as for the club videos that Shull puts up,  if that is the “highlights” reel - god knows what the rest of the game is like 😬

But just to balance things up, I do prefer Womens beach volleyball to the Mens game , now theres a case where they should be paid more 😎

• 2 months later...
34 minutes ago, shull said:

Tonight on Sky Documentaries at nine .

I will be watching.

LIONESSES - HOW FOOTBALL CAME HOME.

One I will be watching too. The men's game in general needs to look at how a diverse bunch of players with the correct coaching and belief can develop and move on.

Womens football in general in much more progressive than the men's game.

3 minutes ago, exiledfan said:

One I will be watching too. The men's game in general needs to look at how a diverse bunch of players with the correct coaching and belief can develop and move on.

Womens football in general in much more progressive than the men's game.

I'm not quite sure what you mean but I'll bite, explanation?

Maybe you mean womens football is, on the whole, very poor, but is better than 10 years ago?

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I'm not quite sure what you mean but I'll bite, explanation?

Maybe you mean womens football is, on the whole, very poor, but is better than 10 years ago?

Kind of I mean that it's a lot more progressive and growing at a good pace.

I think there are a lot of talented coaches out there in woman's football that could really contribute to men's teams but yet still can't get a job, yet male coaches are accepted in the woman's game.

Also in the woman'sl game there's no issue on your sexuality or preferences where in the men's game it's a big deal.

I think the lionesses have brought out all of what should be good in sport. 

52 minutes ago, exiledfan said:

Kind of I mean that it's a lot more progressive and growing at a good pace.

I think there are a lot of talented coaches out there in woman's football that could really contribute to men's teams but yet still can't get a job, yet male coaches are accepted in the woman's game.

Also in the woman'sl game there's no issue on your sexuality or preferences where in the men's game it's a big deal.

I think the lionesses have brought out all of what should be good in sport. 

They’re not exactly setting the Heather on fire when it comes to racial diversity are they ? 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, exiledfan said:

I think that's pie in the sky at this stage.

The standard, even at the top, is less than average and any success at that level is unlikely to carry over into success at any decent level in the mens game.

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

I think that's pie in the sky at this stage.

The standard, even at the top, is less than average and any success at that level is unlikely to carry over into success at any decent level in the mens game.

Dunno bout that ?  Apparently Shelley Kerr was interviewed for the St.Mirren job 😎🤭

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Dunno bout that ?  Apparently Shelley Kerr was interviewed for the St.Mirren job 😎🤭

Yes, but despite the massive gap in quality, the women's game expect the same pay and I guess a shot at a Premier League job, however I'm glad we looked into it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...