St Mirren V Arbroath, Sat 9th July

A lot of similar issues from last season. Midfield sitting too deep and not carrying the ball forward but passing and not supporting. Too many side and back passes. Simply not quick enough to put the opposition under pressure. Hope it is a lesson learned.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, Sonny said:

A lot of similar issues from last season. Midfield sitting too deep and not carrying the ball forward but passing and not supporting. Too many side and back passes. Simply not quick enough to put the opposition under pressure. Hope it is a lesson learned.

Indeed

just boot it up the pitch and get bodies forward!

2 hours ago, StanleySaint said:

Wondered where you were going with this until your final sentence, nicely tee'd up to have a pop at fellow supporters and a democratic vote that didn't go your way. Very sad.

Vote was decided democratically and absolutely should be honoured. My point was on the pack of lies that it was impacting season ticket sales & attendance. 

2 hours ago, Sue Denim said:

I’d rather have empty seats than OF fans

At least this highlights your unethical view of life 

And relegation as well I suppose. 

Nonsense claim. 

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, we've sold 99% of last seasons total. :lol:

After the end of early bird… Which proves my point that there were not significant number of fans not buying season tickets because of the two stand arrangement. 

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

What a load of shite .  😂.  Did  You think we’d get a bumper crowd today ?  If so you are severely deluded .

Nope, just not such a dire one. Could have easily fitted everyone in one stand I would say. Where are all the fans returning now we’ve kicked the bigots out? 🤷‍♂️

Edited by bazil85

I thought we were unlucky today. We created chances, had more possession and, ordinarily, would have won. We were unlucky, but took our eye off the ball at the end! 

Let's learn from our mistakes, and remember that this mob were 15 mins away from playing in the SPL. 

Shaughnessy, Tanser, Kiltie (despite his deep-lying role), Erhahon, o'Hara and Henderson when he came on, all performed well.

We were set up too defensively in the first half and were fortunate not to go in at half time a goal down. We had no natural winger playing wide on the right.

In the second half we turned the screw a bit and were unlucky not to score on a couple of occasions.

Some clown behind me was calling for Erhahon to be substituted after his only bad pass of the afternoon - whereas he was our best performer today by some considerable margin followed by Kiltie.

It's obviously too soon in the season to write us off, but what is certain is that we will have to improve on this level of performance to survive in the SPL let alone finish in the top six..

Edited by northstbuddie

6 hours ago, StanleySaint said:

Wondered where you were going with this until your final sentence, nicely tee'd up to have a pop at fellow supporters and a democratic vote that didn't go your way. Very sad.

Far from a Democratic vote. The opportunity to vote was only offered to members of SMiSA representing only 51% ownership of the club.

The Directors fell short of their responsibility by passing the buck instead of making a decision.

3 hours ago, W6er said:

remember that this mob were 15 mins away from playing in the SPL. 

Really? I don’t even remember them being in the playoff final?

5 hours ago, bazil85 said:

From the guy that thought the pandemic finished in the summer of 2020 😂😂

What’s that got to do with a game against Arbroath? 

The pandemic policies you championed have killed millions worldwide and caused the cost of crisis crisis

Not sure this is the thread for your guilt though? 

2 hours ago, Sue Denim said:

What’s that got to do with a game against Arbroath? 

The pandemic policies you championed have killed millions worldwide and caused the cost of crisis crisis

Not sure this is the thread for your guilt though? 

Just pointing out you have no high ground to talk about ethics. Your views are probably the most unethical on the website. A vile world view that would have condemned countless people the country over. 

Failure to finish cost us the game yesterday. There were plenty of chances, especially early in the second half. Pass marks go to Shaughnessy, Kiltie, Erhahon. Agree that Greive looks lightweight (literally). Said so at the end of last season, and he doesn't seem much better now. Looks like our problem of last season, failure to score goals, is going to continue unless Brophy, Main and the other players still to come in can do the business.

As an aside, thought Olusanya and Ayunga were either trying too hard or were a bit greedy. Spotted a couple of times when both of them tried to beat several opponents when it would have been easier to lay the ball off to a teammate. Looks like they will need more time to bed into the team.

Win the next three games and we can still get out of the group, so.....

COYS!!

17 hours ago, Sue Denim said:

Let’s take a step back.

We’re still in preseason, that’s the point of these League Cup groups

Outside the top flight, Arbroath are actually the best team

This is a pretty decent run out and they’ll give us a run for our money to win the group. It’s to our advantage 

Couldn’t agree more.

Arbroath are a tough nut to crack but better to get a fright now and then learn from it.

Having not watched it I can’t comment on the performance but Saints fans shouldn’t be too surprised by a sluggish start, it’s what we do.

13 hours ago, W6er said:

I thought we were unlucky today. We created chances, had more possession and, ordinarily, would have won. We were unlucky, but took our eye off the ball at the end! 

Let's learn from our mistakes, and remember that this mob were 15 mins away from playing in the SPL. 

The whole of the SPL benefited from Arbroath not making it.

I know there was an element of fairytale given their part time status but….their games against Caley were more like a pub team playing.

I appreciate we’ve just lost to them but I am certain we’ll improve once we get into it.

15 hours ago, Sonny said:

Totally agree. We played passes back or side ways for most of the game. There was no urgency and we overplayed it in the final third. 

Can we improve the jury is out

24 minutes ago, Hunterian said:

Couldn’t agree more.

Arbroath are a tough nut to crack but better to get a fright now and then learn from it.

20 minutes ago, Hunterian said:

The whole of the SPL benefited from Arbroath not making it.

I know there was an element of fairytale given their part time status but….their games against Caley were more like a pub team playing.

I appreciate we’ve just lost to them but I am certain we’ll improve once we get into it.

A tough nut to crack but the SPL benefited from them not making it? 

Arbroath, and ICT, were very poor in the play off games, worst they probably played all season.

This can happen, you only have to look back at Scotland against Ukraine and Eire. 

But, as many will remember, the Championship isn't an easy league to get out of, many "big" teams take a few seasons to get back into the top flight and to sum up Arbroath in 2 games is very unfair.