St Mirren V Arbroath, Sat 9th July

3 minutes ago, waldorf34 said:

We only won 3 home league  games all season ,we are crap at home.

I am surprised at the support that actually turn up! 

2 home games played ,2 games lost already, what kind of incentive  is that to buy a season ticket?

None of those figures are correct. 

I think there has been a massive overreaction to this. We lost the game by a single goal, which we conceded late on. We lacked focus at the end, but we were the better team, especially in the second half. Arbroath are no mugs, and we had the toughest game of all the SPL sides. Arbroath are the best team outside this season's SPL, having finished second last year.

Had we not created chances; had we conceded early on and been unable to recover; had this been later in the season when our players were used to playing 90 mins - then I would be concerned. For now I will consider it a one-off. :) 

3 hours ago, TopCat said:

Not sure where that is coming from, but it isn't true. We lost one home game in all competitions between July and February last season to teams outside the top three, so certainly not 'losing at home most weeks'

On that performance on Saturday, it was down there with the worst i've ever seen from St Mirren. It was an important game and we were at home to a part time club with some of their team on holiday. We can't score and we can't keep a clean sheet.

Simply good enough and things need to change and they need to change quickly.

Fact is things have changed & quickly-  New management team in place and Robbo has certainly got in " his players " - Now , some would say that they need to be allowed a bedding in period ,Others will say this type of result should never happen. Although, if the latter was correct we would never get results ever against the majority of teams in the league who have superior transfer budgets . 

The new manager seems to polarise opinion,  this in part explains some of the off the wall stuff being posted after 1 game. 

Anyway , time will tell and the transfer window isn't complete . I said end of last season the manager was fully entitled to have at least 1 window where he was backed. 

I struggle to believe the football could be less adventurous  and bereft of attacking intent than the ones witnessed by the teams JG put on the park.

Frankly it was turgid at best under JG

If however we don't kick on I will put my hand up and say I was wrong 

2 minutes ago, CraigyBoy said:

Fact is things have changed & quickly-  New management team in place and Robbo has certainly got in " his players " - Now , some would say that they need to be allowed a bedding in period ,Others will say this type of result should never happen. Although, if the latter was correct we would never get results ever against the majority of teams in the league who have superior transfer budgets . 

The new manager seems to polarise opinion,  this in part explains some of the off the wall stuff being posted after 1 game. 

Anyway , time will tell and the transfer window isn't complete . I said end of last season the manager was fully entitled to have at least 1 window where he was backed. 

I struggle to believe the football could be less adventurous  and bereft of attacking intent than the ones witnessed by the teams JG put on the park.

Frankly it was turgid at best under JG

If however we don't kick on I will put my hand up and say I was wrong 

I don't think it's unreasonable to say we should not be losing at home to part time teams. It has happened before, but it doesn't happen often, it tends to occur when the club is at a real low point. The last time we plunged such depths was a 0-1 loss against Dumbarton in 2017 when we were in the midst of a relegation battle in the second tier. The result and performance on Saturday was a return to those dark days.

Don't see anyone realistically saying he should be sacked now - that would be ridiculous. However his record since arriving in February has been atrocious. 14 games, nine defeats, two draws, three wins. Two of those wins came against Mark McGhee's joke Dundee team. 

Given how terrible our end of season form was under him, he really needs to get a good start this season. That would be getting us out the league cup group (ideally as a seed) and getting three or four wins on the board from the opening set of 11 fixtures. If he fails to do either of those then his position will rightly come under threat. The league cup situation is out of our hands now, nine points might not be enough to get us through - it wasn't in 2017 - we will simply need to win our remaining three games and hope results elsewhere go our way.  If we play in the league like we did on Saturday we will just lose every week, like we mostly have since he arrived.  

He's been backed in the window and he's been backed early, I don't remember us before having six new signings announced by this stage in the season before. Isn't he on record saying there might be one more, budget dependent? There's not going to be a huge amount of new arrivals, the vast majority of our summer business started the game on Saturday, and i thought all five of them played terribly.

Since you brought up Jim Goodwin, we hadn't lost in any of the previous nine league cup group stage matches under him, up till Saturday. He never lost once in eight games against non full time opposition. And that lump it long to Ayunga - who didn't win a header all day - strategy we employed on Saturday was some of the most turgid football i've ever seen at St Mirren Park. Our only chances of note were headers from crosses into the box, we offered nothing else at all. It was a truly terrible watch.

3 hours ago, TopCat said:

I don't think it's unreasonable to say we should not be losing at home to part time teams. It has happened before, but it doesn't happen often, it tends to occur when the club is at a real low point. The last time we plunged such depths was a 0-1 loss against Dumbarton in 2017 when we were in the midst of a relegation battle in the second tier. The result and performance on Saturday was a return to those dark days.

Don't see anyone realistically saying he should be sacked now - that would be ridiculous. However his record since arriving in February has been atrocious. 14 games, nine defeats, two draws, three wins. Two of those wins came against Mark McGhee's joke Dundee team. 

Given how terrible our end of season form was under him, he really needs to get a good start this season. That would be getting us out the league cup group (ideally as a seed) and getting three or four wins on the board from the opening set of 11 fixtures. If he fails to do either of those then his position will rightly come under threat. The league cup situation is out of our hands now, nine points might not be enough to get us through - it wasn't in 2017 - we will simply need to win our remaining three games and hope results elsewhere go our way.  If we play in the league like we did on Saturday we will just lose every week, like we mostly have since he arrived.  

He's been backed in the window and he's been backed early, I don't remember us before having six new signings announced by this stage in the season before. Isn't he on record saying there might be one more, budget dependent? There's not going to be a huge amount of new arrivals, the vast majority of our summer business started the game on Saturday, and i thought all five of them played terribly.

Since you brought up Jim Goodwin, we hadn't lost in any of the previous nine league cup group stage matches under him, up till Saturday. He never lost once in eight games against non full time opposition. And that lump it long to Ayunga - who didn't win a header all day - strategy we employed on Saturday was some of the most turgid football i've ever seen at St Mirren Park. Our only chances of note were headers from crosses into the box, we offered nothing else at all. It was a truly terrible watch.

Sadly, this is very  accurate. 

SR fills me with 0 confidence that he knows how to build a squad. Given how poor we’ve been since he took over - I don’t hold out much hope for the season ahead. 

4 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Knowing our luck , we would find it’s one of ours who falls foul 🙄😂

We certainly appeared to have some imposters impersonating full time professional football players.

They must have had a really tough pre season unlike their opponents some of whom had just come back from holiday.

27 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

You forgot the Saintees losing on penalties to a side THREE leagues below them.

Oh and MacPherson was sent off.

Aye, but remember the Fakes had 14 shots at goal so likely should have won 4-0  :rolleyes: