Cowdenbeath v St Mirren League Cup 16 July 2022

Rascal

Having gave time to digest yesterday's result am very worried indeed, that performance against lets be honest a pub team is absolutely criminal, thae lack of depth and threat in midfield and shots on target is not acceptable, and dont tell me wait for main and brophy to come back as one never fit and one shit..so il say it on record that this team is relegation certainties, hopefully this new boy baccus a player because believe me we need him..another shit season awaits..my opinion only 

Texting has a lot to answer for as far as the written word is concerned.

That being said, I'm also concerned about the lack of service into the box and our ability to actually shoot at goal. I can't see the introduction of one extra new player and the reintroduction of Main and/or Bropphy improving our fortunes.

I wonder if Saint Johnstone will be sacking there manager after the league cup run? Anyway I was at the game yesterday and it had the feel of a preseason run out about it. Cowdenbeath have had a couple of heavy defeats prior to this game and got everyone behind the ball making it very difficult to play through (think stmirren v Celtic Covid game) when it matters, saints will come good.  

10 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

I wonder if Saint Johnstone will be sacking there manager after the league cup run? Anyway I was at the game yesterday and it had the feel of a preseason run out about it. Cowdenbeath have had a couple of heavy defeats prior to this game and got everyone behind the ball making it very difficult to play through (think stmirren v Celtic Covid game) when it matters, saints will come good.  

Good luck waiting for that to happen 

1 hour ago, super gunni said:

Having gave time to digest yesterday's result am very worried indeed, that performance against lets be honest a pub team is absolutely criminal, thae lack of depth and threat in midfield and shots on target is not acceptable, and dont tell me wait for main and brophy to come back as one never fit and one shit..so il say it on record that this team is relegation certainties, hopefully this new boy baccus a player because believe me we need him..another shit season awaits..my opinion only 

I have usually calmed down the day after a poor result/performance but I'm really fearful for what this season holds for us. Yesterday's performance was dreadful and I don't care if the pitch was poor or if there was only one ball to play with.

I've been at all the games and was really quite hopeful after the two Belfast games but we seem to be regressing as the season progresses. 

Deep down the manager must be concerned despite what he says. Yesterday was an opportunity to get enough goals to make a runner up  qualification a possibility and we blew it big time.

34 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

History has told me not to read too much into these preseason/preleague games..I've seen us win all our preseason games in the past,  then going into the league we can't win a game,  I've seen us having a poor preseason and we start the league well 

The real business starts when we face Motherwell then we can all have a right good moan about relegation or start the hype of a top four finish :rolleyes: 

25 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

History has told me not to read too much into these preseason/preleague games..I've seen us win all our preseason games in the past,  then going into the league we can't win a game,  I've seen us having a poor preseason and we start the league well 

The real business starts when we face Motherwell then we can all have a right good moan about relegation or start the hype of a top four finish :rolleyes: 

Ha, good sense from a Highland based fan (similar to myself)

57 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

History has told me that if you don't get out of the league stages of this competition you won't win the League Cup. :rolleyes:

22 hours ago, super gunni said:

I would say far from criminal, though not good enough.  I think several questions were answered in terms of playing Grieve wide and our central defensive partnership.  Offord needs more time in the first team to understand how he fits in to the front line.  We won comfortably in circustances where a fiery pitch and a strong physical challenge from the opposition could have easily resulted in injuries, so it was good to avoid that.  Cowden were indeed very stuffy and more tenacious than expected which probably made players still chasing full fitness  a little wary

Overall I cant complain abut what I saw.  The next couple of games offer an opportunity to run up high scores and with a couple of competitive games under our belts then we can expect more from the side against Airdrie and Edinburgh.  It is clear that the manager considers the LC group stage as a part of the close-season build up, I don't agree with that but he is an experienced manager and i understand how he formed that view.