Airdrie United (2002) v St Mirren League Cup 19/7/22

shull

7 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Its totally clear Robinson will be robbing us of our premier league status.... utterly pathetic in tactics moral and looks like recruitment... in a league against part timers lower league and dross we might finish above BB... thats about the standard i see from the team... sack him...get in someone who has a clue before its way too late... Dick Campbell ....mind u Alistair Campbell or a can of soup could do better than this muppet

You absolute hypocrite. 

Yeah like I said before the game, I wouldn’t be surprised if we lost this, and we did. Is anyone actually surprised by that scoreline? 

I’d guess not, and that fact alone is the really worrying one. 

The decline in the football club in the last five months is nothing short of remarkable. To be knocked out of a league cup group with four part time teams is an absolute disgrace.

To be knocked out with a game to spare?

Edited by TopCat

11 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Yeah like I said before the game, I wouldn’t be surprised if we lost this, and we did. Is anyone actually surprised by that scoreline? 

I’d guess not, and that fact alone is the really worrying one. 

The decline in the football club in the last five months is nothing short of remarkable. To be knocked out of a league cup group with four part time teams is an absolute disgrace.

To be knocked out with a game to spare?

As an OAP I have benefited from reduced price tickets but still haven’t had value for money.

If the manager intends to use these to blood new players, build game time, try out formation changes and tactics then say so.

If on the other hand the manager was seriously trying to make sure that we qualified then this has been an abysmal campaign.

Edited by Rascal

8 hours ago, Hendo said:

Away from the shambles on the pitch, can the fans please refrain from setting off flares? Some of the behaviour was embarrassing tonight.

There is a time and a place for most things and I’d put flares in that category too. They can add colour and atmosphere to a big occasion. 
However, setting them off in an empty stadium n broad daylight is embarrassing in the extreme. 

8 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

There is a time and a place for most things and I’d put flares in that category too. They can add colour and atmosphere to a big occasion. 
However, setting them off in an empty stadium n broad daylight is embarrassing in the extreme. 

I was absolutely raging last night. I was sitting behind the morons who set the flares off, with my 10 year old son who has asthma. Fortunately, the smoke drifted in a different direction, but these things have been known to bring on asthma attacks, however i dont expect these fannies think about that. Shameful.

Having time to think about it, sadly I didn’t expect us to win last night - which is a bad sign against a part time lower league team. 

This is a sign of the rapid decline we had since SR took over. 

Top 6? Nah, a play off place is a win for us at this point and time & I’d settle for this if we persist with the current management team. 

Midfield is definitely the problem. It doesn't matter how good your defence or attack are, if your midfield is poor, your whole team will look poor.

Really there is nothing needs to be said. Just write the names down, and one look tells you it is weaker than last season.

21/22:   Ronan, McGrath, Power, Gogic, Kiltie, Erhahon, Flynn.

22/23:  O'Hara, Kiltie, Erhahon, Flynn, Reid, Baccus

The worrying thing for me is that last years back up are now first choice. We have to hope that Baccus is decent and that Reid pushes on.

11 hours ago, turrabuddie said:

Was going to buy a season ticket for the first time this season - dodged a bullet there.

i will be at Pittodrie form our second league match - it’s a family gathering and they’re all Dons supporter. The deal is loser pays for dinner…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you basically volunteered to pay for dinner, then...

I bought a season ticket and have no regrets. 

For me it is the current level of cluelessness that is the most worrying.

I understand that new players take time to bed in but the team played like it had no idea at all what to do - at no point did I sense possession building to anything at all - and you would expect something to click - at least for a while - at some point!

We will be in our usual seats on Saturday - for what is now a de-facto friendly - but I'm beginning to lose heart and hope for this season.

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

I was absolutely raging last night. I was sitting behind the morons who set the flares off, with my 10 year old son who has asthma. Fortunately, the smoke drifted in a different direction, but these things have been known to bring on asthma attacks, however i dont expect these fannies think about that. Shameful.

Yet the club gave these wee Ned's their own area of our stadium and treat them as if they are something special . They bully their way into whatever seats they want at away games and are generally an embarrassment to the club. Worrying thing is some of them are adults so have reached their own mental maturity . 

I use to think they brought some atmosphere to games esp away but garbage like that last night in an empty stadium in broad daylight as been mentioned and with the stupid feckin balaclavas etc on just utter moronic. As one poster said just as well the wind blew it in an opposite direction for his young son. They should just stop now. Keep that stuff for the streets when walking to the ground what happened to good old away days like Dundee the other season full stand great atmosphere none oh this mince 

Edited by Clydebanksaint

The team looks weak all over. Losing goals, creating nothing with lethargic and predictable play that becomes tedious. We also have no goal threat and with Motherwell in 10 days I fear for us. I think it’s possible now to say things aren’t working and following a terrible second half to last season the manager is now firmly up against it. He can still recover but I’m looking at a team that seems devoid or enthusiasm and motivation. This group should have been straight forward for saints but it’s become a nightmare and it’s put immense pressure on our manager to deliver points early . As I say I will back him still but i won’t be alone in thinking that it just doesn’t feel right as we really should look a lot better than this. 

The appointment of Robinson has failed to deliver. Do I want him to succeed? Without a doubt but it looks doomed on our performances so far. 

The new players look no better than what we had in fact worse. O'Hara is the exception but he flounders in that midfield which is weak with no creativity. 

We have no pace and structure. 

Grieve is not a wide player and Olusanya least said about him the better. 

Baccus will have to be world class to help our midfield. 

I cannot see goals in the team which is a massive worry. 

If it continues then I hope the board act quickly

2 hours ago, Oldfellow said:

Yet the club gave these wee Ned's their own area of our stadium and treat them as if they are something special . They bully their way into whatever seats they want at away games and are generally an embarrassment to the club. Worrying thing is some of them are adults so have reached their own mental maturity . 

They do add to the atmosphere- the drum, singing etc is all really good and my son usually enjoys sitting near them as its a bit more exciting - but last night was unacceptable. They need to consider the potential consequences of their actions.

4 hours ago, Hendo said:

Yeah that's fair point. I was very close to the ones that got let off at Somerset Park back in January and I remember being surprised how long it takes for the smoke to clear and how much it constricts your breathing. Like you say, even worse for someone with respiratory problems.

I get a wee bit torn between valid points like you make here and not wanting to be a killjoy or discourage things that can add to atmosphere. I guess fan safety should always be the biggest priority.

Christ I'm getting old.

7 minutes ago, magnus said:

Go balls out for Gocic and drop the 4-3-3 and we might still be OK.

Gocic could be the addition we need.

North Bank need to quit the aggro!! 

I love the drum, I love the noise and I love the colour but can’t stand stuff like the flares or flagrant aggravation. Not needed. Not wanted.

Edited by Rascal

So you basically volunteered to pay for dinner, then...
I bought a season ticket and have no regrets. 

I’m pleased you’ve got a ST, along with more than 3k others.

I live in north Aberdeenshire - ST was going to be a wee treat for myself and a way of putting some more money into the club - I only manage 2-3 home matches a season plus away trips to County, Dons, Dundee and Perth.

Unfortunately , I don’t feel like giving the club the extra funds right now.
That may change.

Yes, I’ll be buying dinner !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why does everyone think Gogic is the answer when the glaring issue in midfield is the lack of a Ronan type player. I honestly can't see what improvement Gogic would make in a midfield 3, he would be thoroughly exposed just like Erharon is.

I don't think personnel is the biggest issue here (bar not replacing Ronan), it's the formation.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

One of our major failings is our lack of width in both defence and attack.

90% of the time we have noone playing wide on either wing (especially on the right) and we also give the opposition far too much room to attack wide on either flank.

As a result everything goes through a crowded centre of the park when we (try to) attack and when that breaks down we are exposed because of the space we allow the opposition to counter attack.

Equally our passing is woeful - one paced and normally misdirected. Only Erhahon has the ability to pick out an early and penetrating pass.

And as for tactics - your guess is as good as mine.

Gogic would at least  help to win possession in the middle of the park.

Edited by northstbuddie

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Why does everyone think Gogic is the answer when the glaring issue in midfield is the lack of a Ronan type player. I honestly can't see what improvement Gogic would make in a midfield 3, he would be thoroughly exposed just like Erharon is.

I don't think personnel is the biggest issue here (bar not replacing Ronan), it's the formation.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Gogic was better than any midfielder we have currently and that’s a fact. The team tho lacks any creative spark and we will not score many that’s for sure