St Mirren v Motherwell, Sunday 31st July 2023

W6er

10 hours ago, FTOF said:

Have to agree, if he can't see that our previous manager shelled out for two strikers on huge wages, that don't come up with the goods.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

If Jim Goodwin got every single signing right, he’d be managing at Man C, PSG, Real, etc. not at Aberdeen. 

If you think my post was defending the signings of Main & Brophy as successful, you weren’t paying attention. 

10 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, but what about this "4th" place, that's got to mean something? :lol:

An utterly meaningless "stat", been used by a couple of Goodwin fanatics, always makes me smirk. 

‘Meaningless’ our most successful league manager in over three decades 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Downside. We don't seem capable of scoring. That was as dominant a performance as I've seen in quite some time. If we can't score wqith that many chances then we're in deep sh!t.

The up side is the fantastic league debut of Bacchus, the continued progress of Erhahon and the fact we did dominate.  

Let's be honest. Motherwell should have collectively left the stadium with a swag bag.

29 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Downside. We don't seem capable of scoring. That was as dominant a performance as I've seen in quite some time. If we can't score wqith that many chances then we're in deep sh!t.

The up side is the fantastic league debut of Bacchus, the continued progress of Erhahon and the fact we did dominate.  

Let's be honest. Motherwell should have collectively left the stadium with a swag bag.

We hit the target enough to win.  Also the time wasting by well was rediculous. 

12 minutes ago, exiledfan said:

We hit the target enough to win.  Also the time wasting by well was rediculous. 

We had 6 shots on target. 2 were well saved but the others were weak as water and straight at Kelly. Most of our shots were more likely to hit one of the seagulls. Yes. We had enough decent shots to win the game. 2 to be precise. But we didn't score in a game where we were the only side playing football and it wasn't because the other team were sitting with 10 behind the ball.

Edited by stlucifer

5 hours ago, st jock said:

Annoying to lose that match, but we dominated it and have to put it down to poor finishing and brilliant goalkeeping. If we play every match like that we will be fine. Baccus is some find by the way.

Baccus reminds me of how Dorman was when he first arrived. 

All the new signings have added to the squad apart from Carson. 

Think we might do ok under Robinson after all ??

Edited by lenziebud
None

7 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Saturday was certainly, for most, encouraging.

Early days, but certainly I thought we played the best football I've seen for a while.

Sure, without a win, that's secondary but if we keep that up I'd like to think it'll pay off.

13 hours ago, lenziebud said:

Our energy levels looked a lot higher and we played with much greater intensity. The shape suited the players. On Carson - few keepers will be as good as Alnwick. Too early to judge him IMO.

Our energy levels looked a lot higher and we played with much greater intensity. The shape suited the players. On Carson - few keepers will be as good as Alnwick. Too early to judge him IMO.
I totally agree with this. Energy and intensity was a lot higher. I liked that at times we were putting pressure on higher up the pitch than we have previously.

This morning thinking back to the game I really felt as much that Flynn and Tait have been good servants to the club, them being the options off the bench that don't really add much quality. I find when he added in Flynn rather than say Reid Robo was looking to add a bit of creativity. I find Flynn to be the shadow of the player he was when younger and is a bit of a ghost on the park.

With the 352 formation seemingly working for the players we have, I felt this would work best for Kiltie to be that creative spark in the pocket behind the 2 strikers, but not suit the likes of Henderson as much. Playing 433 Kiltie sat too deep and didn't contribute as much, where Henderson I feel has been great at taking on a man in the forward wing position. With the 352 I thought this doesn't suit the likes of Henderson as much out wide having to defend as much as attack.

I wondered if with it really being 3412 if Henderson could work well behind the strikers. I say this as he can seem to take a man on with the ball at his feet and pass a ball. He also at times has scored some decent goals.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Rascal said:

We have had 2 excellent keepers before Carson so it is big gloves to fill.  I never thought that he was tested enough to make a judgment.  His kicking was poor bit hopefully they will improve. He is an international keeper after all. 

40 minutes ago, exiledfan said:

We have had 2 excellent keepers before Carson so it is big gloves to fill.  I never thought that he was tested enough to make a judgment.  His kicking was poor bit hopefully they will improve. He is an international keeper after all. 

From what I have seen so far his distribution could improve - you are right there but little else to judge him on. Kelly on the other hand was severely tested and was certainly outstanding. I have a feeling that Carson will do well once he settles in.

4 hours ago, Rascal said:

From what I have seen so far his distribution could improve - you are right there but little else to judge him on. Kelly on the other hand was severely tested and was certainly outstanding. I have a feeling that Carson will do well once he settles in.

Carson is fine as a keeper, he was decent at Motherwell but he is not as good as Alnwick or Hladkey, so its the only position I don't feel we are as strong in this season.

5 hours ago, exiledfan said:

I thought he looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights at times. He swithered when deciding whether to come for cross balls as well.

28 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

I thought he looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights at times. He swithered when deciding whether to come for cross balls as well.

Certainly needs a game or two, maybe more to settle. Our previous two goalkeepers are hard acts to follow.