So Farewell Then Henry Mowbray

10 minutes ago, shull said:

Former Saint passed away at 75. A left back from the 1970's.

More known with Bolton and Cowdenbeath.

Remember him well. Never really got a chance to shine with a poor St Mirren side.

Article in Cowdenbeath programme about him. Appears that under Willie Cunningham we were a shambles at the time. We have never really got out of that mode apart from Fergie/Clunie/McFarlane /Hendrie/Ross. Having written that on second thoughts it seems we have but it just seems like we are perennially rubbish. Wouldn't swap us for any other team

Well over 100 games for Blackpool too. He scored in their famous 4-0 victory in the cup v  West Ham in '71 when the West Ham players , Greaves , Moore , Clyde Best etc  thought the game was off due frozen pitch , and went out on the pish on the Friday night , only to find that an overnight thaw put the game on. We were a shambles in the early 70s ,  Henry was still relativey young and should have been the right kind of signing for us , but he was never settled in one position being used at RB , LB and CH and he emigrated half way through his only season with us ! 

On 7/17/2022 at 6:38 PM, Oldfellow said:

Remember him well. Never really got a chance to shine with a poor St Mirren side.

Article in Cowdenbeath programme about him. Appears that under Willie Cunningham we were a shambles at the time. We have never really got out of that mode apart from Fergie/Clunie/McFarlane /Hendrie/Ross. Having written that on second thoughts it seems we have but it just seems like we are perennially rubbish. Wouldn't swap us for any other team

You missed out 2 trophy winning managers there

1 hour ago, beyond our ken said:

You missed out 2 trophy winning managers there

I don't think winning a cup makes you a good manager or a good team.. Being in the top five in a top league probably does hence the ommission.  Appreciate what you  are saying and going by my ,no doubt , flawed logic , Ferguson ,Hendrie and Ross could be left out as well as, particularly the last two only did their good work in a lower league. I couldn't leave them out despite that. What I will say is that the best teams were those of Clunie and McFarlane