North bank , Drum, Noise and Colour

12 minutes ago, Slarti said:

Ricky's the guy who was taken away by the police at the Airdrie Game?

I admit it. It was me. I wore the mask.

I wore flares ( but didn’t light them)

I sat near the drum.

A 76 year old hooligan.

The police were kind. They let me keep my walking stick.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2022 at 9:00 AM, Rascal said:

I have no apology for starting the thread. Three things have changed.

Firstly, I have witnessed fans who had taken seats in grounds being “asked” to move by this group as they wanted to sit at that place.

Secondly, Flares are being used. First seen in recent times at Stenhousemuir and then at Ayr and now Airdrie. These are a danger to our fans including those using them.

Most worryingly, some of the group have taken to wearing balaclavas with only spaces for their eyes to show, presumably to help avoid ID.

I was told at Stenhousemuir that our club would receive an automatic fine of £1,000 and ,if true, then likely also on the other occasions. We could make much better use of the money.

Keep the noise and colour home and away but ditch the attitude and the flares ( please).

The wee Ned's in black and balaclavas we're out in force again today as were their equally embarrassing Motherwell counterparts . There is also a smattering of what looks like adults in amongst them at least in a physical rather than mental sense.

The club need to stop pandering to this mob. It's reminding me  too much of the seventies problems then the casuals. W7  and W6 should be available for away support just like when the ground opened. We've plenty space for our home support, it might break this lot up and bring in more money without the problem of having the old firm behind both goals.

I fear things are going to get a lot worse which really saddens me as  I thought these times were behind us.

14 hours ago, Oldfellow said:

The wee Ned's in black and balaclavas we're out in force again today as were their equally embarrassing Motherwell counterparts . There is also a smattering of what looks like adults in amongst them at least in a physical rather than mental sense.

The club need to stop pandering to this mob. It's reminding me  too much of the seventies problems then the casuals. W7  and W6 should be available for away support just like when the ground opened. We've plenty space for our home support, it might break this lot up and bring in more money without the problem of having the old firm behind both goals.

I fear things are going to get a lot worse which really saddens me as  I thought these times were behind us.

As we drove away after the match we noticed that a young St Mirren Fan (early 20s) was recovering from an attack - he was on crutches! This behaviour is completely unacceptable. My question is - why did the referee not halt the game when it was clear that there were seats for all of the visiting fans but a number refused to take them, blocked the area at the front of the stand, managed to spill over the boards and had flares. Who has responsibility for this? Is it the club, is it the referee, is it the stewards or is it the police? It seems clear ( but may not be) that tolerating bad behaviour inside the ground spoils out into anti social behaviour outside.

15 hours ago, Oldfellow said:

The club need to stop pandering to this mob.

100% this. 

Our club has been instrumental in creating this monster. It's time for St Mirren to clamp down on this nightmare before things spiral way out of control. 

15 hours ago, Oldfellow said:

Casuals were very much an 80s phenomena and my recollection is that any trouble seemed to occur away from the ground (fountain gardens and other places), 70s was more the rise of more affluent and still very much working class youth.  I havent seen anything of this game either in person or online so don't know what the "wee neds" were up to during the game.  

As for the Motherwell fans, was the problem that they didnt want to sit behind the goals?  The police strategy should have been in place and anyone refusing to take a place in the designated area should politely be shown the door, or gate, in this case.  W6 and W7 are designated for saints fans with a particular group in mind and that means only behind the goals is available to away fans.  Splitting the west stand doesn't work very well because of the location of toilets and catering

I don’t see why that section needed to be closed off yesterday. I appreciate there were problems last year with pitch invasions. Better just to have a zero tolerance approach and make it clear to both sets of fans that if they invade the pitch area they will receive a life time ban.

We supposedly have top notch cctv. We have stewards and police in attendance. If they could not get those fans to sit down they should have been ejected. I am told one of the stewards responsible for the trouble at the away end was moved to the Saints half way line and started on a Saints fan. It seems like they were very heavy handed removing one Motherwell fan. What did he do to have stewards kneeling on his back? Are they allowed to do this?

Will they repeat such actions when Celtic and Rangers visit? I doubt it.

The stewarding is appalling at our stadium since this new crew have been installed. 

I walked round via the away end at 245pm and the queue to get in was right out to the 1877 club. 

I did not sense a threatening atmosphere and even though I was wearing Saints colours not one comment was made. 

I spoke to one of the police about the queues and said it was a disgrace that it was taking so long to get in. His response was that it was up to the club and the stewards. Nothing to do with them. 

There were only two turnstiles in operation at the away end. Body checks were being carried out on every spectator. Why only two turnstiles? Is that all the away end has? There were delays getting into the West Bank yesterday. I just got in as the teams came out.

The trouble in the 70s and 80s at football grounds was way worse than a few youngsters setting off flares. 

1 hour ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

I don’t see why that section needed to be closed off yesterday. I appreciate there were problems last year with pitch invasions. Better just to have a zero tolerance approach and make it clear to both sets of fans that if they invade the pitch area they will receive a life time ban.

We supposedly have top notch cctv. We have stewards and police in attendance. If they could not get those fans to sit down they should have been ejected. I am told one of the stewards responsible for the trouble at the away end was moved to the Saints half way line and started on a Saints fan. It seems like they were very heavy handed removing one Motherwell fan. What did he do to have stewards kneeling on his back? Are they allowed to do this?

Will they repeat such actions when Celtic and Rangers visit? I doubt it.

The stewarding is appalling at our stadium since this new crew have been installed. 

I walked round via the away end at 245pm and the queue to get in was right out to the 1877 club. 

I did not sense a threatening atmosphere and even though I was wearing Saints colours not one comment was made. 

I spoke to one of the police about the queues and said it was a disgrace that it was taking so long to get in. His response was that it was up to the club and the stewards. Nothing to do with them. 

There were only two turnstiles in operation at the away end. Body checks were being carried out on every spectator. Why only two turnstiles? Is that all the away end has? There were delays getting into the West Bank yesterday. I just got in as the teams came out.

The trouble in the 70s and 80s at football grounds was way worse than a few youngsters setting off flares. 

I'm not impressed by standard of Stewards at the game. I appreciate it's a tough gig but I don't see any real supervision.

Remember last year how long it took to get the nutter who ran in the pitch when we scored against rangers. 

I do worry that at some point their will be trouble in that area. 

49 minutes ago, exiledfan said:

I'm not impressed by standard of Stewards at the game. I appreciate it's a tough gig but I don't see any real supervision.

Remember last year how long it took to get the nutter who ran in the pitch when we scored against rangers. 

There does seem to be a culture now in football of pitch invasions. We have seen physical assaults on players and managers in the last few years down south. It’s like copycat behaviour. It needs to stop. I never ever want to see fences back in stadiums. 

This ultra culture has been copied from the continent. Some of it is great. Some of it is toxic.

We would all prefer to see a noisy and boisterous support cheering on the team rather than looking to fight the away fans.

Three young Saints fans were caught up in trouble yesterday after the game who happened to be the mascots.

Why? These kids were all under 6 years of age.

What should have been a really happy experience (despite the result) only led to them being surrounded by Motherwell “Neds in Black” as they went to get a lift home.

It will only put off young families attending which will be the future lifeblood of our support.

Edited by SuperSaints1877

50 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

There does seem to be a culture now in football of pitch invasions. We have seen physical assaults on players and managers in the last few years down south. It’s like copycat behaviour. It needs to stop. I never ever want to see fences back in stadiums. 

This ultra culture has been copied from the continent. Some of it is great. Some of it is toxic.

We would all prefer to see a noisy and boisterous support cheering on the team rather than looking to fight the away fans.

Three young Saints fans were caught up in trouble yesterday after the game who happened to be the mascots.

What should have been a really happy experience (despite the result) only led to them being surrounded by Motherwell “Neds in Black” as they went to get a lift home.

It will only put off young families attending which will be the future lifeblood of our support.

Not acceptable.

5 hours ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Too many silly wee guys who are there first and foremost to hang about in a gang and the football being played is secondary.

More interested in what the other teams supporters are doing. I saw an annoying number of incidents outside the ground last season after games involving these groups and there's no need for it at all.

17 hours ago, exiledfan said:

There needs to be a change of culture among fans though, where we can self police. I know when that incident v Rangers happened, there were people on here defending him, saying he had additional needs, we were being too critical, he didnt know what he was doing.

Then we have the flares at Airdrie, the trouble on Sunday, wee fannies turning up with balaclavas on thinking they are gangsters, well you're not, everyone thinks you are just fannies.

As others have said, these things have consequences. Wee kids being scared seeing trouble, the risk of breathing difficulties for fans being caused as the result of flares, fecking think about your behaviour.

W7 does add to the atmosphere, but they need to get rid of the wee fannies, and if they wont, the club has to.

1 hour ago, W6er said:

I think the Northbank are, generally, a credit to the club. There are a handful of idiots, but don't throw out the baby with the bathwater...

I have repeatedly praised their noise and colour at games. Love that part of what they do. Keep it up!

What I don’t like is the flares, balaclavas and “bad ass” attitude of some in the group. 

Are the fans in W7 important to the club and players? I’d like to think so .

Thuggish behaviour though means that they let themselves and the club down. Come on guys - clean up your act and get back to what you do best in bringing noise and colour to games.

Edited by Rascal

1 hour ago, W6er said:

I think the Northbank are, generally, a credit to the club. There are a handful of idiots, but don't throw out the baby with the bathwater...

But if you don't deal with the minority they will, like a cancer, grow and drag down the name of the club.

The ostrich approach rarely solves anything. 

4 hours ago, Hendo said:

There needs to be a change of culture among fans though, where we can self police. I know when that incident v Rangers happened, there were people on here defending him, saying he had additional needs, we were being too critical, he didnt know what he was doing.

Then we have the flares at Airdrie, the trouble on Sunday, wee fannies turning up with balaclavas on thinking they are gangsters, well you're not, everyone thinks you are just fannies.

As others have said, these things have consequences. Wee kids being scared seeing trouble, the risk of breathing difficulties for fans being caused as the result of flares, fecking think about your behaviour.

W7 does add to the atmosphere, but they need to get rid of the wee fannies, and if they wont, the club has to.

the lessons from recent hostory are that wee fannies can hold sway over a group if there are enough of them and they display increasingly extreme behaviours, the real risk to younger fans is the example that they set.

Balaclava arent bad in theselves, unless you git the scratchy home-knitted ones i had to wear as a kid, but some people use them to conceal identity which shows some degree of intent

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

But if you don't deal with the minority they will, like a cancer, grow and drag down the name of the club.

The ostrich approach rarely solves anything. 

I agree.

It's what they grow up to be if they are starting to get more and more brave with little effort to stop and correct bad behaviour.

It's not just our fans though I think it's almost organised.

On 7/20/2022 at 11:29 PM, Rascal said:

W7 give great backing at home with lots of noise and colour and thankfully no flares and little aggro.

Away from Hope the noise and colour remain but there is more aggro towards other fans - moving then to take the spot for the drum - more aggro towards away supporters and use of Flares. Illegal, dangerous and could cost St Mirren £1000 fine. Not clever. Oh and what’s with the balaclava with eye spaces only - not a good look. Come on guys drop the flares and antagonist.

https://lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fnews.stv.tv%2Fsport%2Fsfa-fined-over-flares-at-scotland-v-ukraine-world-cup-qualifying-play-off-at-hampden&h=AT3HmJZV7RSod4umepTkD39RhB06jNG3v9rHL8TFr_v9ChnKMzp_AQr6cLHc4d7wasfqxt0-B55lEKeJ0bCFz-yi95l5Mtj1phrFbC02aOC3WlcanVvQ47M9WK-RDdZ5oQ

SFA been fined £1,712 for the smoke grenades let off at Hampden! 

Welsh fined over £12,000 for "flares" and fans on pitch.

Edited to add, in case link not working...

"

The Scottish Football Association has been fined after flares were let off in the crowd during Scotland’s defeat to Ukraine in their World Cup qualifier at Hampden.

FIFA issued the £1,712 fine over a breach of the order and security of matches – lighting of fireworks – under article 16 of the game’s disciplinary code."

Edited by BuddieinEK
Updated