What if? A new look at Scottish Football

Rascal

The BBC have just put this “off the wall” look at how our Top League might look if changes were made. 

Interesting reading and we have the Deloitte report to come.

BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61969416

Deloitte

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/ron-gordon-teases-deloitte-review-wow-factor-as-hibs-chairman-hails-rangers-for-advancing-scottish-football-more-than-any-other-club-3782966

Edited by Rascal

I had to check the date reading that BBC article in case it was April 1st.

The people at the top running our game are so shortsighted and certainly undersell our TV rights.

Doncaster should be replaced as a priority.

The two largest teams in Scotland have increased their followings dramatically since the 70s and 80s. I remember when Rangers were getting home crowds of 5000.

The wealth now at the top clubs in Europe due to the Champions League and EPL is starving all other clubs. 

Greed is killing the game. The strength in depth that the bigot brothers have is obscene. 

They could probably play a second X1 in the Scottish league and would still end up positions 1 & 2.

I do believe we will see them depart for richer leagues in my lifetime, with their B teams currently in the lowland league allowed to progress up the pyramid to the top league. That was a Trojan horse imho.

The golden era in Scottish football was probably late 70s to 80s when we had multiple teams competing for the league title (including St Mirren) and European success out with the Old Firm (United & Aberdeen). We also had a successful period in international football. 

Sadly I don’t see that period ever being matched. 

Celtic and Rangers can spend more in one transfer than we earn in revenue. 

Celtics revenue from merchandise alone was £22M last year. https://cdn.celticfc.com/assets/downloads/Celtic_Annual_Report_2021.pdf

I can remember the days when St Mirren outbid Celtic for Frank McDougall.

We will never ever see that again unless we get some mad man who wins Euromillions top prize of £190M and decides to spunk it on our club, but it would be an unsustainable model. 

The game in Scotland is fcuked. 

5 hours ago, Rascal said:

The BBC have just put this “off the wall” look at how our Top League might look if changes were made. 

Interesting reading and we have the Deloitte report to come.

BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61969416

Deloitte

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/ron-gordon-teases-deloitte-review-wow-factor-as-hibs-chairman-hails-rangers-for-advancing-scottish-football-more-than-any-other-club-3782966

Yes I read this and the one thing they didn't even remotely look at was a fairer distribution of the money to level the playing field, all sorts of consideration of drafts etc but actually saying wherever you finish you'll get the same money, although flawed, never even got a look in. P!aying to win the league and getting into Europe or avoid relegation are the prizes but to level it up over time you all get the same access to the cash and how you use it will determine how successful you are. Wouldn't be popular if it led to the risk of the bigots not winning all the time.

2 hours ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

I had to check the date reading that BBC article in case it was April 1st.

The people at the top running our game are so shortsighted and certainly undersell our TV rights.

Doncaster should be replaced as a priority.

The two largest teams in Scotland have increased their followings dramatically since the 70s and 80s. I remember when Rangers were getting home crowds of 5000.

The wealth now at the top clubs in Europe due to the Champions League and EPL is starving all other clubs. 

Greed is killing the game. The strength in depth that the bigot brothers have is obscene. 

They could probably play a second X1 in the Scottish league and would still end up positions 1 & 2.

I do believe we will see them depart for richer leagues in my lifetime, with their B teams currently in the lowland league allowed to progress up the pyramid to the top league. That was a Trojan horse imho.

The golden era in Scottish football was probably late 70s to 80s when we had multiple teams competing for the league title (including St Mirren) and European success out with the Old Firm (United & Aberdeen). We also had a successful period in international football. 

Sadly I don’t see that period ever being matched. 

Celtic and Rangers can spend more in one transfer than we earn in revenue. 

Celtics revenue from merchandise alone was £22M last year. https://cdn.celticfc.com/assets/downloads/Celtic_Annual_Report_2021.pdf

I can remember the days when St Mirren outbid Celtic for Frank McDougall.

We will never ever see that again unless we get some mad man who wins Euromillions top prize of £190M and decides to spunk it on our club, but it would be an unsustainable model. 

The game in Scotland is fcuked. 

A lot in what you say.

The 70’s and 80’s were times when both of our big two had financial issues and expenditure on stadiums. Remember the jokes about Ibrox - they built the stand the wrong way round - it was facing the pitch. If I recall correctly at that time gates were shared so Celtic and Rangers did indirectly subsidise visiting teams. 

It was good to be in contention on a regular basis for a place in Europe and to see both Aberdeen and to a lesser extend Dundee United do well in Europe. The introduction of all seated stadiums was costly for all of the teams in or with aspirations of being in the top league.

Reconstruction hasn’t yet brought great benefits to teams outside the big two in the top league but have, imo, opened up opportunities for lower league and non league clubs.

I don’t expect changes to the distribution of prize moneys but would like to see more money being brought into the game and a formula found through which the core funding might be better shared.

I strongly believe that the Community Model is the way to go. The smaller clubs are largely (though not exclusively) supported by locals and strong ties will build a really strong brand and following. We are at the early stages of that journey.

According to some info sourced from the web I found the following.…..

”The vote on shared gates took place in October 1980. Scottish League clubs voted 26 to 11 in favour of scrapping.

Salary capping and sharing gate money meant that even the smaller provincial teams could keep their better players for longer and were able to compete better. Between 1945-1965 we had 8 non Old Firm Champions (Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee & Killie) in 20 seasons. In the cups even East Fife, Clyde & Dunfermline all won silverware on a couple of occasions.

After the end of wage restrictions it wasn't long before the much richer Old Firm clubs enjoyed a period of 15 years unbroken domination including Celtic's 9 in a row titles. After the abandonment of shared gate receipts we only had to wait until 1985 to embark on a currently 36 season long spell of unbroken Old Firm title domination including Rangers 9 in a row titles.”

32 minutes ago, Slarti said:
2 hours ago, StanleySaint said:
Followed closely by Bosman.

Bosman only gave footballers the same rights as everyone else. It's obviously had a detrimental effect on smaller clubs but it was the right decision, so we just have to live with it.

No argument from me on that. Well intended and the right thing to do but with potential unexpected consequences? What now?