Capital Punishment

W6er

Do you support capital punishment?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

54 minutes ago, Rascal said:

I am in the No camp. Explaining my reasons would be convoluted and add little of value to the debate - a mainly emotional response based on a dislike for the “eye for an eye” Old Testament / Abrahamic approach. 

It’s never stopped you before 😂 (sorry you set it up so beautifully I had to bite) 

2 hours ago, Rascal said:

I am in the No camp. Explaining my reasons would be convoluted and add little of value to the debate - a mainly emotional response based on a dislike for the “eye for an eye” Old Testament / Abrahamic approach. 

A pastor once explained to me this was to set limits on retribution, i.e. it should be proportionate.

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

This could be handy................................any volunteers? 

image.jpeg.6fa6bf432d1baccdba197ac9f199f654.jpeg

Mad. The condemned used to tip the executioner, who may have had a few drinks. Otherwise he might miss and get the axe stuck in your skull, and have to wiggle it out...before the second attempt. 

30 minutes ago, W6er said:

A pastor once explained to me this was to set limits on retribution, i.e. it should be proportionate.

Mad. The condemned used to tip the executioner, who may have had a few drinks. Otherwise he might miss and get the axe stuck in your skull, and have to wiggle it out...before the second attempt. 

Just when you thought the day couldn't get any worse. :lol:

1 hour ago, W6er said:

The idea of proportionality and the idea of forgiveness are more Christian New Testament. The Old Testament but both Judaism and Islamic teachings are not big on either. 

28 minutes ago, Rascal said:

The idea of proportionality and the idea of forgiveness are more Christian New Testament. The Old Testament but both Judaism and Islamic teachings are not big on either. 

The verse states:

"And a man who injures his countryman – as he has done, so it shall be done to him [namely,] fracture under/for fracture, eye under/for eye, tooth under/for tooth. Just as another person has received injury from him, so it will be given to him." (Lev. 24:19–21)

Now whilst this is often derided, as in Gandhi's famously witty remark "an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind", it also means that if I give you a black eye you don't kill me in retaliation, or even break my arm.

1 minute ago, W6er said:

The verse states:

Now whilst this is often derided, as in Gandhi's famously witty remark "an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind", it also means that if I give you a black eye you don't kill me in retaliation, or even break my arm.

Simply but clearly put.

Proportionate implies evaluation

41 minutes ago, Rascal said:

How many people have been murdered throughout history due to differing “religious beliefs”?

Too many. 

In context, it means that an "eye for an eye" is the maximum punishment, not the only one. After all, it wouldn't be much of a deterent to a blind man if that's all they could do to him.

55 minutes ago, Slarti said:
8 hours ago, Rascal said:

In context, it means that an "eye for an eye" is the maximum punishment, not the only one. After all, it wouldn't be much of a deterent to a blind man if that's all they could do to him.

Are you mansplaining again?

Did you not understand proportionality?

Try to resiste

Edited by Rascal

19 hours ago, faraway saint said:

States that have death penalty laws do not have lower crime rates or murder rates than states without such laws. And states that have abolished capital punishment show no significant changes in either crime or murder rates. The death penalty has no deterrent effect.

Japan has the death penalty and a very low incidence of violent crime.

3 hours ago, saint in exile said:

Japan has the death penalty and a very low incidence of violent crime.

You are right - differences exist where the death penalty is in place whether this be in the example you gave in Japan or in differences within federal jurisdictions inside countries like the USA. It isn’t the only factor in crime and murder rates. It’s a more complex issue.

14 hours ago, StanleySaint said:

Yes, yes and the middle east situation was caused by the Hoare Laval pact, you can find an argument that imperialism or exploration is the root of all issues, the Spanish and the Portugese have nothing to be proud about either or the French or Germans, Dutch or Americans, Chinese or Japanese. It really isn't about the cause or previous history it is about now and how we as nations behave and react, human nature will always seek an advantage it is who we are. If you were of that inclination you could blame everything on Eve or the serpent or God for creating us in the first place, let's see how that pans out.

Carving up slices of the world to enhance the interests of individuals, groups, countries, capitalists and religion have a lot to answer for.