Road To Hampden - Scottish Cup 22/23

Imagine being a Falkirk fan last night.

You were faced with the prospect of a totally uninspiring trudge up to Pittodrie to receive an inevitable gubbing and not make much money.

Then, 90 minutes later, you’re away to a non league team and have the very real prospect of a money spinning, high profile quarter final against a big team like Rangers or St. Mirren. 

What’s not to love about that. 

9 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

You were faced with the prospect of a totally uninspiring trudge up to Pittodrie to receive an inevitable gubbing and not make much money.

Then, 90 minutes later, you’re away to a non league team and have the very real prospect of a money spinning, high profile quarter final against a big team like Rangers or St. Mirren. 

Even better, imagine being a bookie in Darvel. 🤣🤣🤣

Bankrupt. 😜

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

If I was a Falkirk fan I'd be shitting myself,  

When the last 16 draw was made I was thinking there's no real exciting ties.. now there's a very good chance the Football world will be taking a interest on a wee Village in East Ayrshire 

The reality of last night was somewhat predictable, and not unsurprising.

Scottish football overall is at a pretty low ebb and if you strip the two OF sides and maybe Hearts (just now), out of the equation, then you can see that the difference in standard  between the 5th placed team in Scotland and the juniors of yesterday and now the 6th tier of our mighty game is not a lot.

I say that the result was not unsurprising and I really mean that. Just look at Aberdeen's current away form and in reality the standard of player that they currently have and then look at Darvel's current form (won 10 Drawn 1 and lost 2) so on one side you have a team in a slump and on the other Darvel are not short of a winning mentality.

In addition no premier team (other than maybe the three mentioned above) goes into any encounter away from home with any side, all the way down to Bonnyrigg Rose (currently at the bottom of League 2) and expect to walk in and win by a large margin, if indeed to win at all.

So is our standard dumbing down to the lowest common denominator, or is the standard of the lower leagues creeping up? I would prefer to think the latter as teams now are better drilled in tactics than they were 10 or 15 years ago and to exemplify that, all you have to do is look at the international scene where teams that were push overs 20 years ago now manage to contain opposition and compete regularly on the national stage. The same applies to the Darvels of this world and they too have brought their standard up in order to try and get into ther national tier level.

That having all been said the bulk of the Premier League teams aren't much better than the third tier of English football and it shows when our star goalkeeper of last year struggles to get any game time for Cardiff City and also many so-called Scottish stars head off down there to the Chmapionship and League 1, and come back two or three seasons later with their tails between their legs.

Still it doesn't stop me from dreaming of glory, or stop me supporting the team I have followed since the age of 9, and it follows all the way down to Darvel whose supporters will have been energised by last night's performance and will hopefully form an allegiance that may well last 50+ years!

Edited by The Original 59er