St Mirren v Ross County SPFL PREMIERSHIP 14/8/22

shull

Most of what needs to be said before this game has been mentioned in the posts above. Just putting in my tuppenceworth to support a few points.

Two league games played, two defeats and no goals scored from open play. So, we don't seem to have solved the goal-scoring problem we had last season. Looked at like that, things seem bleak. But we played well against Motherwell and, according to radio reports, were doing OK at Pittodrie until we lost Gallagher. And, as has been said above, a win against RC may well give the players the confidence required to kick on.

As for the manager, my main concern has been his recruitment. Neither Ayunga or Olusanya looks likely to score prolifically in this league, though I hope they prove me wrong as time goes on. That leaves us with the two front men we had last season, Main and Brophy. Again, neither of them scored as regularly as we really needed, though Main did seem to improve when SR came to the club. I still think SR needs to be looking to bring in a goalscorer, if he can find one we can afford.

In midfield, in recent times we've had strong midfielders like McGrath and Ronan, who have been able to pitch in with a few goals to help us out. Baccus looks a decent player and may be able to fill that role, but I notice that Graham Carey has been getting good reviews since signing for St. Johnstone. That is a player who has been at our club and did well when he was here. Was SR aware that he was available? Perhaps we could not afford him.

Again, as has been stated, it's early days, but we need to avoid being cast adrift from the other teams in our mini-league (Well, Livi, RC, St. J). Saturday's game is really important from that point of view.

Despite all of the above, as always....

COYS!!

3 minutes ago, pondsman said:

Most of what needs to be said before this game has been mentioned in the posts above. Just putting in my tuppenceworth to support a few points.

Two league games played, two defeats and no goals scored from open play. So, we don't seem to have solved the goal-scoring problem we had last season. Looked at like that, things seem bleak. But we played well against Motherwell and, according to radio reports, were doing OK at Pittodrie until we lost Gallagher. And, as has been said above, a win against RC may well give the players the confidence required to kick on.

As for the manager, my main concern has been his recruitment. Neither Ayunga or Olusanya looks likely to score prolifically in this league, though I hope they prove me wrong as time goes on. That leaves us with the two front men we had last season, Main and Brophy. Again, neither of them scored as regularly as we really needed, though Main did seem to improve when SR came to the club. I still think SR needs to be looking to bring in a goalscorer, if he can find one we can afford.

In midfield, in recent times we've had strong midfielders like McGrath and Ronan, who have been able to pitch in with a few goals to help us out. Baccus looks a decent player and may be able to fill that role, but I notice that Graham Carey has been getting good reviews since signing for St. Johnstone. That is a player who has been at our club and did well when he was here. Was SR aware that he was available? Perhaps we could not afford him.

Again, as has been stated, it's early days, but we need to avoid being cast adrift from the other teams in our mini-league (Well, Livi, RC, St. J). Saturday's game is really important from that point of view.

COYS!!

Add Kilmarnock to that mini league

This has all the feelings of a must win game.

I was saying to my old man earlier, the last time I remember a game with quite the same feeling of it having to go right for the manager's sake was when we played recently promoted (along with us) Livingston in Alan Stubbs' 3rd game of the season.

We got absolutely humbled 2-0 that day against a team we were far better than only 10 weeks before and it was the writing on the wall for Stubbs - a final confirmation that he'd without doubt, weakened us massively.

It kind of has that energy about it. If we lose on Saturday, regardless of the manner of defeat, or if we scrape our way to an undeserved point, it's going to be the tipping point for many I fear.

15 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I was saying to my old man earlier, the last time I remember a game with quite the same feeling of it having to go right for the manager's sake was when we played recently promoted (along with us) Livingston in Alan Stubbs' 3rd game of the season.

We got absolutely humbled 2-0 that day against a team we were far better than only 10 weeks before and it was the writing on the wall for Stubbs - a final confirmation that he'd without doubt, weakened us massively.

It kind of has that energy about it. If we lose on Saturday, regardless of the manner of defeat, or if we scrape our way to an undeserved point, it's going to be the tipping point for many I fear.

Early in the season for must win but certainly an important game for both clubs. RC Manager has credit in the performance from last season and agree that there will be more pressure on SR.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Must win = we will win.  

16 minutes ago, magnus said:

Must win = we will win.  

No idea where that confidence comes from. County are a good side with an excellent manager, although they lost against Hearts and Celtic they looked impressive and were probably the better team against hearts.

Only reason McKay is at County is because he has had to rebuild his reputation after the racist stuff, his recruitment is excellent and I would love him at st mirren.

This will be a very tough game.

We have played 2 league games so far. First we were by far the better team and the second we were competing ok until the sending off/penalty. Far to early to talk about must win games.

The recruitment under Stubbs was a joke and we didn't look like we could compete against anyone. SR has recruited some decent players snd we can compete. I'll be giving them a chance before calling for SR's head.

Last season Ross County didn't win any of their first 10 matches and made it into Europe. How about we back off and relax a wee bit.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, pondsman said:

COYS!!

Bit Harsh on both Ayunga and Olusanya. Ayunga has scored 5 goals regardless of the opposition and Olusanya has hardly had a chance. 

Ayunga will be our top scorer and out score Brophy. 

Where the problem lies is midfield. We have no goals in it. 

It is obvious we have no dig in the middle of the park and lack a Scott Allan type of player who is still without a club

7 minutes ago, Ethan said:

Bit Harsh on both Ayunga and Olusanya. Ayunga has scored 5 goals regardless of the opposition and Olusanya has hardly had a chance. 

It is obvious we have no dig in the middle of the park and lack a Scott Allan type of player who is still without a club

What is interesting is that Gogic is still without club. As clubs all over the country are filling their squads and indeed their budgets are getting used up then this again could be a case of agents advice being not great. 

We may still be in the race as demands will be lower as time starts running out.

However unfortunately JG rates him and he obviously has a bigger budget than we have.

41 minutes ago, Ethan said:

This sums it up.  Last season our midfield was poor and lacked a ball winning midfielder that could break up play.  Thankfully we had goals in Ronan that masked how poor they were.  

5 minutes ago, exiledfan said:

This sums it up.  Last season our midfield was poor and lacked a ball winning midfielder that could break up play.  Thankfully we had goals in Ronan that masked how poor they were.  

It’s where my concern would be too. Gocic made a difference when he came. Ronan scored some spectacular goals. I’d like to think that the manager knows this and still has time and the money to do something about it.

2 hours ago, Sonny said:

We have played 2 league games so far. First we were by far the better team and the second we were competing ok until the sending off/penalty. Far to early to talk about must win games.

The recruitment under Stubbs was a joke and we didn't look like we could compete against anyone. SR has recruited some decent players snd we can compete. I'll be giving them a chance before calling for SR's head.

Last season Ross County didn't win any of their first 10 matches and made it into Europe. How about we back off and relax a wee bit.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Did they ?  I must have missed that .🤷‍♂️

22 hours ago, Ethan said:

Scott Allan and/or Gocic and the season will be a blast.

i dont see us getting anything from this one and struggle to see a side in the whole league who are less well staffed and led on the playing field.  The only games where we might get something are the ones where we make ourselves hard to score against.  Other clubs know we can't score and will press us more than they might do in other games.

For me, it's a 10 and sometimes 11 players behind the ball kind of season

A bit early in the season to be getting too despondent.

Ayunga and Olusanya could come good in the goal-scoring front.

As has already been pointed out Main showed a significant improvement in form after SR arrived.

Brophy is probably our most proven and potent striker - but unfortunately is unfit/injured for most of the season.

Our midfield is probably stronger than it was last season (aside from goal scoring potential) - although would love to see Gogic return and Scott Allan arrive. Surely it's worth a gamble.

Defensively we are looking dodgy at the moment and Tanser (like Brophy) is injury prone. However, we should be doing better with the players we have available.

Without collecting points we have at least shown promise of better things to come - although there are a lot of 'ifs' and 'buts' in this hope.

1 hour ago, northstbuddie said:

A bit early in the season to be getting too despondent.

Ayunga and Olusanya could come good in the goal-scoring front.

As has already been pointed out Main showed a significant improvement in form after SR arrived.

Brophy is probably our most proven and potent striker - but unfortunately is unfit/injured for most of the season.

Our midfield is probably stronger than it was last season (aside from goal scoring potential) - although would love to see Gogic return and Scott Allan arrive. Surely it's worth a gamble.

Defensively we are looking dodgy at the moment and Tanser (like Brophy) is injury prone. However, we should be doing better with the players we have available.

Without collecting points we have at least shown promise of better things to come - although there are a lot of 'ifs' and 'buts' in this hope.

Defensively  we no longer have an outstanding  goalkeeper  who commands his box , the defenders are unsure whether  to commit or hold back at times and he is not big enough at high balls ,all in all disasters  will happen ever now and then ,needs replaced asao