St Mirren v Ross County SPFL PREMIERSHIP 14/8/22

shull

11 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

For me Robinson has improved our team to a level where I'm enjoying watching us again.

Under Goodwin it was sterile junk.

Robinson's recruitment has been excellent and we are going in the right direction.

It's still early days but the performances in 2 of the 3 league games have been excellent.

I try not to come to conclusions too early, but most hope this form continues, along with picking up points.

I wasn't convinced by Goodwin, and discussed this with a few Aberdeen supporters when they tempted him away.

Very hot/cold, and this still seems to be the case despite having considerable resources.

Suppose we'll find out at the end of the season. 

36 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

I suspect Ethan won't be at St Mirren next season. 

We might be forced to sell him in January to try and get a % future sell on fee as I think he is in last year of contract.

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

It's still early days but the performances in 2 of the 3 league games have been excellent.

Thing is, I was more than encouraged by the Aberdeen performance whilst it was 11 vs 11 as well. We looked to have game plan to sit in and hit and were potentially going to get some success from it.

It was the lack of a contingency plan when we got Gallagher sent off that sort of threw that up in the air.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

Thing is, I was more than encouraged by the Aberdeen performance whilst it was 11 vs 11 as well. We looked to have game plan to sit in and hit and were potentially going to get some success from it.

It was the lack of a contingency plan when we got Gallagher sent off that sort of threw that up in the air.

Aye, I agree to a certain extent, the sending off/penalty did drastically alter the game but we were already a goal down.

All "if's and mibbies" mate, all in all, so far, promising. :wink:

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, I agree to a certain extent, the sending off/penalty did drastically alter the game but we were already a goal down.

All "if's and mibbies" mate, all in all, so far, promising. :wink:

No we weren't. The red and penalty were Aberdeen's first goal and they had troubled us very little before then. :wink:

The actual performances in the first three games taken as a whole are far more encouraging and easy on the eye than they were under Goodwin.

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

No we weren't. The red and penalty were Aberdeen's first goal and they had troubled us very little before then. :wink:

The actual performances in the first three games taken as a whole are far more encouraging and easy on the eye than they were under Goodwin.

Sorry, my mistake. 

As i said, who knows but it was a decision we never recovered from.

Edited by faraway saint
Auto correct pish

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Sorry, my mistake. 

As i said, who knows but it was a decision we never reviewed from.

Mistake - not like you FS 

Reviewed from 

You probably meant recovered

Here to help

Bottom line is our performances have improved alongside our recruitment 

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Sorry, my mistake. 

As i said, who knows but it was a decision we never reviewed from.

Agreed. Think it's clear to see that in the top flight, there are about 7 or 8 teams who if they all played one another head to head for 10 games, there would be a relatively even split of wins draws and losses across the board. We're firmly in that group and it's not a bad place to be. Better that then the whipping boys.

We'll be just fine this season. We do need to develop a bit of composure and a killer instinct though.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Agreed. Think it's clear to see that in the top flight, there are about 7 or 8 teams who if they all played one another head to head for 10 games, there would be a relatively even split of wins draws and losses across the board. We're firmly in that group and it's not a bad place to be. Better that then the whipping boys.

We'll be just fine this season. We do need to develop a bit of composure and a killer instinct though.

Analysis is spot on. Very like last season. 3 or maybe 4 at the top and the rest very even.

Pluses from yesterday (and the season so far):

- we subdued a very decent RC side which had played well against Hearts and Celtic

- our general lead-up play was good, as it was v Motherwell and in the early stages v Aberdeen

- whole team played well, but special mentions to Ayunga, Baccus (who started the goal move with his quick turn and burst into the box), Dunne, and Tait.

- SR seems to have got more out of Curtis and Ethan (although Main could do with scoring some goals)

- three points and eighth place in the league makes everyone feel a lot better!

Minuses:

- Ayunga should stick to using his strength to unsettle defences and bursting into the box to shoot. On most occasions when he tries to dribble around defenders he loses the ball.

- strikers need to start putting the ball in the net. 

5 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

:lol: I suppose when you're entrenched in an opinion you refuse to budge from, the mind sees what it wants to see. 

They had one shot that took a wicked deflection and the keeper made a superb stop. Apart from that, we were hardly hanging on.

Have you had a look at Robinsons record since he has been here ? It’s just my opinion and if you are happy with things that’s fine. 

15 minutes ago, Saint@Johnstone said:

Have you had a look at Robinsons record since he has been here ? It’s just my opinion and if you are happy with things that’s fine. 

I guess that the positive part of this is that the only way is up

1 hour ago, Rascal said:

Mistake - not like you FS 

Reviewed from 

You probably meant recovered

Here to help

Bottom line is our performances have improved alongside our recruitment 

Great to see Ricky despite your differences and spats in the past with Mr Faraway you're always on hand in case he needs help with his posts,  shows a high level of maturity not seen very often in today's social media  :whistle 

1 hour ago, Saint@Johnstone said:

All well and good, I didn't mention Robinson's record since he's been here when addressing your initial post and neither did you - you said we were hanging on at the end yesterday. Aside from one deflected shot that nearly caught us out, no we weren't. We were in control for the full 90.

They hit the post after about 65-70 mins which isn't quite 'the end' so safe to say your opinion on yesterday's game is way wide of the mark.

You've been on such a crusade since day one you can't even hold your hands up and admit the team you support played well because you have a massive dislike of the manager. Bit sad, really.

Edited by djchapsticks

14 hours ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Ross County forced Carson into one save in the whole game which was from a deflected shot and a brilliant save. 

Ross County have been playing terrific football this season against Hearts and Celtic and ran both sides very close. 

It was expected that Ross County would play expansive football on the break and they have a number of good players. The fact that we limited them to one shot on goal was brilliant. 

There are no easy games in our league.

That was a fantastic win yesterday in very difficult conditions. 

There was (and still is) tremendous pressure on not just our manager but the players as well. They know how important that result was yesterday.

BTW You rarely find anything positive to say about St Mirren.

May I suggest an excellent choice of reading material. It really is a superb book.

D1CAAEB8-1494-4990-AC54-C875F452A458.thumb.jpeg.9abd3f58c8f4c2d9f3c6f5464a084c46.jpeg

Elivis is in the same book club, this is his recommendation

image.jpeg.bd04ea659a2fad4f4d760d76d9ea5607.jpeg

15 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

All well and good, I didn't mention Robinson's record since he's been here when addressing your initial post and neither did you - you said we were hanging on at the end yesterday. Aside from one deflected shot that nearly caught us out, no we weren't. We were in control for the full 90.

They hit the post after about 65-70 mins which isn't quite 'the end' so safe to say your opinion on yesterday's game is way wide of the mark.

You've been on such a crusade since day one you can't even hold your hands up and admit the team you support played well because you have a massive dislike of the manager. Bit sad, really.

I take it I’m off your Xmas card list then. ? 😁

On 8/14/2022 at 1:33 PM, pondsman said:

Pluses from yesterday (and the season so far):

- we subdued a very decent RC side which had played well against Hearts and Celtic

- our general lead-up play was good, as it was v Motherwell and in the early stages v Aberdeen

- whole team played well, but special mentions to Ayunga, Baccus (who started the goal move with his quick turn and burst into the box), Dunne, and Tait.

- SR seems to have got more out of Curtis and Ethan (although Main could do with scoring some goals)

- three points and eighth place in the league makes everyone feel a lot better!

Minuses:

- Ayunga should stick to using his strength to unsettle defences and bursting into the box to shoot. On most occasions when he tries to dribble around defenders he loses the ball.

- strikers need to start putting the ball in the net. 

There is not a great deal of understanding of our 2 forwards ,in any of our combinations , flick offs not read,  no interplay ,vast distancing  from each other ,our centre forward  taking the ball wide on the wing etc.

We need 2 guys who work together  to unsettle  defences and can read each other's  moves.