St Mirren v Ross County SPFL PREMIERSHIP 14/8/22

shull

I understand that repetition plays/movements in training might give a player an understanding of what another might do in various situations… but there’s nothing like playing alongside each other time and again to learn each other’s moves/intentions - in real game time!

St Mirren these days seems seldom to provide such stability.  SR has been given time and patience to prove his ways work.  Perhaps the players should also been given that?

Edited by antrin

1 hour ago, waldorf34 said:

There is not a great deal of understanding of our 2 forwards ,in any of our combinations , flick offs not read,  no interplay ,vast distancing  from each other ,our centre forward  taking the ball wide on the wing etc.

We need 2 guys who work together  to unsettle  defences and can read each other's  moves.

That’s a bit harsh . 
Ayunga  played mainly alongside Grieve in the LC . 

Main has played alongside Ayunga only twice from the start and Main was substituted at half time V Dons .

Ayunga & Brophy have appeared together only three times with Brophy coming on as sub each time for a grand total of 55 minutes together in total so don’t see how they can be judged on that . 
Very few partnerships click after such a short time , I’m not saying it’s a cert they will, but if they are to be our front two they must be given more than 55 mins. 

7 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

We can critique the individual performances of Ayunga and Main on Saturday, but they were anything but a partnership. They were constantly miles away from each other. 

Well , apart from when they damn near bumped into each other in the build up to the goal 😉

I must say, I am still not a fan of Main , despite his improvement under Robinson and I don’t think he and Ayunga will be that elusive pairing . 

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

17 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Well , apart from when they damn near bumped into each other in the build up to the goal 😉

I must say, I am still not a fan of Main , despite his improvement under Robinson and I don’t think he and Ayunga will be that elusive pairing . 

I’d go as far as saying Main’s improvement under Robinson is a figment of peoples imagination. 
He was always able to put himself about a bit and run about like a headless chicken. However his ability to score goals or assist others in scoring goals hasn’t changed one bit. That one off goal at the end of last season seems to have given folk a blind spot. 

2 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

The only one of them I rate is Ayunga. Robinson's recruit. For me Brophy, Main and Grieve will not provide the goals we need. They are Goodwin's recruits and I think in time Robinson will offload them. Prepared to give Brophy a bit of time now he is fit to see if he cuts it with Ayunga but for me up till now he has been nowhere near good enough for the wage we are paying him. Lets see how many actual goals Brophy contributes and forget any pens he may take.

January could be interesting on that front.

53 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

The only one of them I rate is Ayunga. Robinson's recruit. For me Brophy, Main and Grieve will not provide the goals we need. They are Goodwin's recruits and I think in time Robinson will offload them. Prepared to give Brophy a bit of time now he is fit to see if he cuts it with Ayunga but for me up till now he has been nowhere near good enough for the wage we are paying him. Lets see how many actual goals Brophy contributes and forget any pens he may take.

Didn't Grieve just sign a contract extension under SR?

1 hour ago, exiledfan said:

Didn't Grieve just sign a contract extension under SR?

Aye probably as he has potential but my gut feel is he wont bag us the goals we need, same with Main and Brophy. Time will tell but for me Ayunga looks like the first proper striker we have had at the club for a long time

6 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Aye probably as he has potential but my gut feel is he wont bag us the goals we need, same with Main and Brophy. Time will tell but for me Ayunga looks like the first proper striker we have had at the club for a long time

I do like Ayunga. Finding the right partnerships will take time and what those should be will also vary with the opposition. What we do have now is a variety of choice we haven’t had for a while. Get the choices right and stop leaking goals and we may well do as well or better than the last two seasons.

16 hours ago, lenziebud said:

Robinson gave Grieve a new contract and has spoken highly of both Main and Brophy since he came, and has played them both regularly. 

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

Robinson gave Grieve a new contract and has spoken highly of both Main and Brophy since he came, and has played them both regularly. 

Personally, I feel that we now have a good mix of forward players and players who can cross the ball. 

4 hours ago, TopCat said:

What do you expect him to say of Main and Brophy. With the contracts they have it would be difficult to offload them atm. Given the squad he inherited and bringing in Ayunga, not much scope left for another striker.

Grieve has potential.

Ayunga is better than all 3 of them IMO.

I know its really difficult to find these type of players at our level but Robinson's contacts and knowledge of lower league England are good and I think he'll be on the lookout for another striker come the next 2 windows. Given the contract side of things its probably likely that Main will leave first.

When Main and Brophy played against us I was never bothered as they showed nothing each time. Not seen a great deal to change my mind in the time they have been with us ?

35 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

What do you expect him to say of Main and Brophy. With the contracts they have it would be difficult to offload them atm. Given the squad he inherited and bringing in Ayunga, not much scope left for another striker.

Grieve has potential.

Ayunga is better than all 3 of them IMO.

I know its really difficult to find these type of players at our level but Robinson's contacts and knowledge of lower league England are good and I think he'll be on the lookout for another striker come the next 2 windows. Given the contract side of things its probably likely that Main will leave first.

When Main and Brophy played against us I was never bothered as they showed nothing each time. Not seen a great deal to change my mind in the time they have been with us ?

Well it would be quite easy for to freeze these guys out and tell them they are not part of his plans, happens all the time when a new manager comes in. Instead he has praised them both and he plays them both. These are not the kind of words you use about players if you're trying to get rid of them:

image.png.0cb1d08a46fa235f4ecb9dd9153bfb5f.png

If he didn't like Grieve he certainly wouldn't have offered him a new and improved contract. I would be surprised if we signed another striker tbh, what we desperately need is a goalscoring midfielder in the Ronan/McGrath mould. One goal from open play in games against Arbroath, Aberdeen, County, Motherwell and Airdrie is really grim reading.  But what a goal it was 😍

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

Well it would be quite easy for to freeze these guys out and tell them they are not part of his plans, happens all the time when a new manager comes in. Instead he has praised them both and he plays them both. These are not the kind of words you use about players if you're trying to get rid of them:

image.png.0cb1d08a46fa235f4ecb9dd9153bfb5f.png

If he didn't like Grieve he certainly wouldn't have offered him a new and improved contract. I would be surprised if we signed another striker tbh, what we desperately need is a goalscoring midfielder in the Ronan/McGrath mould. One goal from open play in games against Arbroath, Aberdeen, County, Motherwell and Airdrie is really grim reading.  But what a goal it was 😍

That’s all very good and well but where can i get one of those hearing aids ?