Dundee United v St Mirren SPFL Premiership 21/8/22

shull

The highlights looked good.  I'm glad Sportscene highlighted big Curtis Main's clever deceptive run that took Charlie Mulgrew out of the game for the first goal.  That little run before heading in a different direction was class!  Some people will point out the ball hitting off Levitt, Ayunga stretching to pass the ball and their goalkeeper stopping after rushing out but from what I've heard, read and watched we were well worth our victory.

I'm guessing I should stay away from away games more often if this is what happens when I don't go!

I'm delighted for the whole team but especially more so for big Curtis.  He's had his fair share of critics but that's him equalled last seasons goal tally.  I hope he keeps going now!

Edited by Percy Veer
"little run" not "little play".

Thoroughly enjoyed yesterday’s match, in all honesty I thought we’d be very lucky to get out of there with a draw.

The whole team were outstanding, I knew after the first goal Utd were vulnerable to get hit on the break and our football in exploiting just that was brilliant, second goal really took the wind out their sails.

Carson’s save from the Finnish boy (who did well when he came on) was massive, at 0-2 that would have given them some lift.

And the chorus of “you’re getting sacked in the morning” to the pompous self indulging snake Jack Ross just to round the day off.

If Carlsberg did trips to Tannadice……..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasn't at the game yesterday, so had to rely on radio reports and last night's TV highlights.

On Sportsound Willie Miller made it sound as if United had done absolutely nothing, so was surprised to see the possession statistics on the BBC website (70/30 for United). Also, on TV I saw that United had a couple of decent attempts on our goal, so kudos to Carson, who has been criticised previously.

As for us, after last week's game I advised Ayunga to stop trying to beat defenders and concentrate on bursting into the box and shooting. Seems as though he read my post. I also said that Main had improved but needed to add goals to his performance. Again, Curtis must read these threads. Well done to both of them! The whole team looked more confident and put in a great shift - what a difference last week's result seems to have made. They took advantage of United's situation and rightly so.

I have no axe to grind with JR - he did us a great service a few seasons ago, but now we will all see how good he really is. If he can turn United around, he will prove himself a very good manager.

Now, bring on the Hibs, a different proposition I think, but not one we should now fear as much as we might have done two games ago.

As always......

COYS!!

13 minutes ago, RichardBuddie said:

Another thing - how refreshing it is to see a midfielder (O’Hara) running with the ball - surging up the park, causes mayhem!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baccus does that also, so now we've got two of them.:thumbsup

1 hour ago, pondsman said:

Wasn't at the game yesterday, so had to rely on radio reports and last night's TV highlights.

On Sportsound Willie Miller made it sound as if United had done absolutely nothing, so was surprised to see the possession statistics on the BBC website (70/30 for United). Also, on TV I saw that United had a couple of decent attempts on our goal, so kudos to Carson, who has been criticised previously.

As for us, after last week's game I advised Ayunga to stop trying to beat defenders and concentrate on bursting into the box and shooting. Seems as though he read my post. I also said that Main had improved but needed to add goals to his performance. Again, Curtis must read these threads. Well done to both of them! The whole team looked more confident and put in a great shift - what a difference last week's result seems to have made. They took advantage of United's situation and rightly so.

I have no axe to grind with JR - he did us a great service a few seasons ago, but now we will all see how good he really is. If he can turn United around, he will prove himself a very good manager.

Now, bring on the Hibs, a different proposition I think, but not one we should now fear as much as we might have done two games ago.

As always......

COYS!!

I'm really struggling with anti Jack Ross stuff. He done a fantastic job for St Mirren and got offered a job at Sunderland that if he hadn't taken he's have been a complete IDIOT ?

He done a decent job and was inches away from the Championship where I think he would have got the momentum we had in his second season with us.

He got Hibs to 3rd and into cup finals and then was disgracefully sacked IMO by Ron Gordon at the first bad run of form. Gordon's judgement from then has been spot on, NOT.

He's taken over at United and has had a horrendous result in Holland that the whole club is so far struggling to get over. They will and will be fine. As for Tony Watt and his comments on JR, Watt was kicked out of Parkhead for his lack of professionalism and application.

Jack Ross is a really decent manager and first class people manager. I've heard this also from 2 players I know who played under him.

So I'm really not getting the anti JR stuff at all

1 minute ago, lenziebud said:

I'm really struggling with anti Jack Ross stuff. He done a fantastic job for St Mirren and got offered a job at Sunderland that if he hadn't taken he's have been a complete IDIOT ?

He done a decent job and was inches away from the Championship where I think he would have got the momentum we had in his second season with us.

He got Hibs to 3rd and into cup finals and then was disgracefully sacked IMO by Ron Gordon at the first bad run of form. Gordon's judgement from then has been spot on, NOT.

He's taken over at United and has had a horrendous result in Holland that the whole club is so far struggling to get over. They will and will be fine. As for Tony Watt and his comments on JR, Watt was kicked out of Parkhead for his lack of professionalism and application.

Jack Ross is a really decent manager and first class people manager. I've heard this also from 2 players I know who played under him.

Agree totally, unnecessary and childish for a manager who saved us from relegation then won the Championship and was manger of the year.

How good or bad he has done elsewhere isn't a major issue for me, I'm only really concerned with what he did for St Mirren. 

23 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Absolutely this. Perfect summary. Although I did chuckle at the sacked in the morning chants. I’d like to think that if he hadn’t been so raging at his team’s performance, even JR would’ve had a wee laugh too. 

On 8/19/2022 at 8:40 PM, HSS said:

I won’t be at Tannadice.Would appreciate if somebuddie could get a Sacked in the Morning chant going for Handsome Jack.Might be best waiting til we’re 3 up in the last minute 🏁🏁🏁

😂😂😂

47 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Not do I. He did a good job when he was with us and simply couldn’t turn down the money offered at Sunderland. I don’t want a badge kisser as a manager, just a professional who knows his job. Jack did.

42 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Agree totally, unnecessary and childish for a manager who saved us from relegation then won the Championship and was manger of the year.

How good or bad he has done elsewhere isn't a major issue for me, I'm only really concerned with what he did for St Mirren. 

Jack saved St Mirren.  As i seem to remember him losing his first 5 or 6 with us at first.. bottom of Championship... 10 points adrift.. then with Morgan Mallon and the likes turned us into entertaining Champions.. agree he was unlucky at Sunderland only losing 7 games and Hibs was a joke..  some on here dont realise we are a stepping stone for players and managers... JR if given time will be ok at United they flattered last year only marginally better than us... wish him well as long as they lose to us always...

There were quite a few posters on here not sure if you were one of them that were disappointed/annoyed/angry that he was willing to leave before the championship was won with moves to Barnsley and Ipswich that soured the goodwill for the job he done in the end.

Plus he lied by letting Gordon Scott embarrass himself live on Sky by assuring sky sports that Ross confirmed he was staying and had no contact with Sunderland while on holiday a couple of days later Ross has come back from holiday to be unveiled as Sunderland manager.

Sent from my T671H using Tapatalk

After that controlled, fluent, all round performance I need to ask the question.

Where do we accomodate Gogic? Do we drop Erhahon?

I doubt the defensive partnership of Gallacher, who SR brought in, or Dunne, who Robinson is definitely a fan of, will be split up. Not sure he'd get Frasers place as, if SR wanted to change that up, there's big Joe.

I don't believe he would replace either Baccus or O'Hara so it only leaves Ethan who, IMO, has come on in leaps and bounds.

I am now looking forward to watching how it pans out. 

One thing I am sure of is that the football should be much more watchable moving forward.

Edited by stlucifer

19 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

After that controlled, fluent, all round performance I need to ask the question.

I doubt the defensive partnership of Gallacher, who SR brought in, or Dunne, who Robinson is definitely a fan of, will be split up. Not sure he'd get Frasers place as, if SR wanted to change that up, there's big Joe.

I don't believe he would replace either Baccus or O'Hara so it only leaves Ethan who, IMO, has come on in leaps and bounds.

One thing I am sure of is that the football should be much more watchable moving forward.

Listening to Robinson’s post match interview it sounds like he’s definitely seeing Gogic first and foremost as a centre back. 

8 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Listening to Robinson’s post match interview it sounds like he’s definitely seeing Gogic first and foremost as a centre back. 

But which centre half is sacrificed for him. Dunne does make mistakes but his pace allows him to get back to rectify. Gallacher was brought in by SR. So this leaves dropping Fraser/Shaughnessy to accomodate Gogic. Unless he puts Dunne out left and drops Tait/Tanser, (when fit).

1 hour ago, DougJamie said:

Jack saved St Mirren.  As i seem to remember him losing his first 5 or 6 with us at first.. bottom of Championship... 10 points adrift.. then with Morgan Mallon and the likes turned us into entertaining Champions.. agree he was unlucky at Sunderland only losing 7 games and Hibs was a joke..  some on here dont realise we are a stepping stone for players and managers... JR if given time will be ok at United they flattered last year only marginally better than us... wish him well as long as they lose to us always...

Did JR not re sign Stephen McGinn? His goal against the Welsh team in that cup competition seemed to kick us into life.

Ethan has a great left foot pass. His attitude and workrate has improved no end under Robinson. However he is still weak defensively failing to track back, mark or tackle on his right side as he turns his whole body round to try and use his left leg. If we are playing a game when we are defending more I'd play Gogic.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Got back home about lunchtime as we had a late night last night in Perth.

Managed to do a couple of hours work and then watched the highlights that I'd recorded.

Thought I seen myself on the telly shouting at the ref.

Not sure when I'll manage another game but yesterday was enjoyable.

If we win next week surely people who doubted the new manager will admit they were wrong and post on the thread that @Sonny made earlier? 

5 hours ago, stlucifer said:

But which centre half is sacrificed for him. Dunne does make mistakes but his pace allows him to get back to rectify. Gallacher was brought in by SR. So this leaves dropping Fraser/Shaughnessy to accomodate Gogic. Unless he puts Dunne out left and drops Tait/Tanser, (when fit).

I guess Dunne could still be for the off. I hope not but I think he’s the only one of our centre backs that still might go.