Jerry Sadowich

guinness

5 hours ago, guinness said:

Cancelled at Edinburgh. Someone in audience upset by his show. Jesus have they never seen him before.? I despair of people nowadays. Upset about everything .

Long time since I saw him perform. He is controversial. I suspect he will be loving the publicity. 

9 hours ago, guinness said:

Cancelled at Edinburgh. Someone in audience upset by his show. Jesus have they never seen him before.? I despair of people nowadays. Upset about everything .

Overall I agree, but as the world changes there are some terms that are seen as unacceptable.

Racial overtones are in that bracket (see reported content highlighted below)and, IMO are a cheap and outdated attempt at humour anyway.

Would I have complained, unlikely, but I would have put him on my "won't go and see this shite again" list. 

She told the paper: 'I was at the show. He called Rishi Sunak a 'p***'; said the economy was awful because it is run by 'blacks and women'.

9 hours ago, guinness said:

I think that taking your dick out on stage, as has been reported, might have been a little unexpected at the Pleasance Theatre. Maybe ok in a show in Amsterdam or at least not unexpected. In language and content he may well have been groundbreaking in the past. Sadly for him those days are gone.

Terrific marketing ploy to sell out his up coming tour

You just can’t buy free publicity like this!

He is a very smart guy. And an outstanding magician. 

Now just wait to see these tour dates sell out fast. 

7428FF62-6013-49A4-8F5A-86C0CE3C8623.thumb.jpeg.12e20806a956ce9828047b09a6df7679.jpeg

Edited by SuperSaints1877

I have seen him twice. He is funny and a great magician, too. He has got his dick out, made obscene and racist jokes and made fun out of stuff like Madeleine McCann when I've been there. He's not for everyone, but if someone really hates his act and had no idea what they have got themselves into, why not just walk out?

From Twitter:

Andrew R
@ExcelPope
This is from when I went to see him live, maybe five or six years ago.
He did a whole piece to the audience about people wondering if it was OK to laugh at his joke.
Was he saying terrible things because they were funny, or were they things he really believed?
The audience felt confused. Guilty, even.

He explained he had a solution. He indicated to a table at the back of the stage. This table, he said, contained a load of hats.
If he put a hat on then he was just playing a character, He wasn't really him. It was OK to laugh at the joke.

"Let's try it out. Remember, wearing a hat means 'just a character', it's OK to laugh."
He went to the table.

The audience is silent. Obviously he's going to return wearing a hat and say something really terrible.

He came back to the front of the stage.

He was wearing an SS Officer's cap.

"Right, then, what are we going to do about the Jews?"
I go to see a lot of comedy. From household names through to people just starting out.

I don't think I have ever seen a more perfect joke than this.
It doesn't just #MadeYouThink, you could write a f**king thesis on the layers in that joke.

But, and this is the crucial thing, if you were to reduce it to a 1-sentence line in a tabloid, it would be...
"Sadowitz, dressed as a German office, made jokes about the holocaust."

Context is everything, and I doubt anybody understands that better than Jerry Sadowitz.
I've seen what he's capable of, and I won't judge him on a line in a tabloid.
/End.

15 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

From Twitter:

Andrew R
@ExcelPope
This is from when I went to see him live, maybe five or six years ago.
He did a whole piece to the audience about people wondering if it was OK to laugh at his joke.
Was he saying terrible things because they were funny, or were they things he really believed?
The audience felt confused. Guilty, even.

He explained he had a solution. He indicated to a table at the back of the stage. This table, he said, contained a load of hats.
If he put a hat on then he was just playing a character, He wasn't really him. It was OK to laugh at the joke.

"Let's try it out. Remember, wearing a hat means 'just a character', it's OK to laugh."
He went to the table.

The audience is silent. Obviously he's going to return wearing a hat and say something really terrible.

He came back to the front of the stage.

He was wearing an SS Officer's cap.

"Right, then, what are we going to do about the Jews?"
I go to see a lot of comedy. From household names through to people just starting out.

I don't think I have ever seen a more perfect joke than this.
It doesn't just #MadeYouThink, you could write a f**king thesis on the layers in that joke.

But, and this is the crucial thing, if you were to reduce it to a 1-sentence line in a tabloid, it would be...
"Sadowitz, dressed as a German office, made jokes about the holocaust."

Context is everything, and I doubt anybody understands that better than Jerry Sadowitz.
I've seen what he's capable of, and I won't judge him on a line in a tabloid.
/End.

You have to wonder about the thought process of the venue / organisers when taking the booking for the gig & also for those buying tickets to see him .

What did they think he was going to do ?  Did they believe he was going to spend 90 minutes telling Tim Vine one liners? 

He’s not my cup of tea but then again , I’ve never seen him live , I’m only basing that on the very limited TV stuff I’ve seen however I know it’s liable to be a notch or ten up from those snippets !!    

If you buy a ticket , at least have the brain capacity to work out what you might be going to see - if the PR material tells you there might be material that may be offensive and you are of a sensitive nature  - don’t f**king go !   

8 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

You have to wonder about the thought process of the venue / organisers when taking the booking for the gig & also for those buying tickets to see him .

What did they think he was going to do ?  Did they believe he was going to spend 90 minutes telling Tim Vine one liners? 

He’s not my cup of tea but then again , I’ve never seen him live , I’m only basing that on the very limited TV stuff I’ve seen however I know it’s liable to be a notch or ten up from those snippets !!    

If you buy a ticket , at least have the brain capacity to work out what you might be going to see - if the PR material tells you there might be material that may be offensive and you are of a sensitive nature  - don’t f**king go !   

IF it were his first ever festival gig then they might have had half an excuse but he's been doing much the same kind of routine there for years. The organisers KNEW what they were getting.

3 hours ago, stlucifer said:

IF it were his first ever festival gig then they might have had half an excuse but he's been doing much the same kind of routine there for years. The organisers KNEW what they were getting.

A great publicity stunt.

TV, Radio, Newspapers and Internet

3 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

It’s Roy chubby brown all over again, the guardian reading, right on brigade will not be happy, sorry not happy, sexually aroused until we are all eating brown rice and cycling back from our LGBQ+ meeting. 

That’s bollox.  :)

Most days, I read The Grauniad.  I eat brown rice.  Tonight I had the first of my own sweetcorns.

Brown was simple and shite.  sadowitz is funny, complicated and testing.  There’s no comparison.

There’ve been a few articles and comments in the Guardian of anguish about Jerry being cancelled.

Just now, antrin said:

That’s bollox.  :)

Most days, I read The Grauniad.  I eat brown rice.  Tonight I had the first of my own sweetcorns.

Brown was simple and shite.  sadowitz is funny, complicated and testing.  There’s no comparison.

There’ve been a few articles and comments in the Guardian of anguish about Jerry being cancelled.

In fact, it would be rags like the Mail and Express more likely to loathe him as he challenges the cosy, comfy Tory pretend image of us all living easy, lovely lives.

4 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

It’s Roy chubby brown all over again, the guardian reading, right on brigade will not be happy, sorry not happy, sexually aroused until we are all eating brown rice and cycling back from our LGBQ+ meeting. 

You and I are on the same page about a lot of things, and, of course, I have recently been accused of being a Tory c**t. However I am contemplating going vegan, I cycle and take public transport as much as I can, I read The Grauniad (because it's the only free broadsheet) and I was at a party the other week that was hosted by three gay men...and yet I still find Sadowitz funny. 

I never liked Roy Chubby Brown, to be fair, but I thought Bernard Manning had his moments. At the end of the day there should be a disclaimer when buying tickets for shows like this, and then folk simply can either put up and shut up or leave. Hopefully Sadowitz sells out his tour and other comedians will realise that actually they don't need to pander to snowflakes.

Edited by W6er

Offence is subjective (as is humour). What offends you may not offend me and vice versa. I assume there was a disclaimer about the "easily offended" on the adverts for his show and any booking sites used. Anyone who still went and then complained about being offended should be fined £1000. It should be part of the contract when buying the ticket or using it for entry to the show, and printed on the back of the ticket. Something like:

This show contains material which some may find offensive. If you don't want to be offended then please don't come to this show. If you come to the show and then complain about the aforementioned material, then you also accept that you are a funking idiot and agree to pay a fine of £1000 to Jerry Sadowitz for taking up a seat at his show that some non-snowflake , not easily offended, normal person could have used.

12 minutes ago, Slarti said:

Offence is subjective (as is humour). What offends you may not offend me and vice versa. I assume there was a disclaimer about the "easily offended" on the adverts for his show and any booking sites used. Anyone who still went and then complained about being offended should be fined £1000. It should be part of the contract when buying the ticket or using it for entry to the show, and printed on the back of the ticket. Something like:

This show contains material which some may find offensive. If you don't want to be offended then please don't come to this show. If you come to the show and then complain about the aforementioned material, then you also accept that you are a funking idiot and agree to pay a fine of £1000 to Jerry Sadowitz for taking up a seat at his show that some non-snowflake , not easily offended, normal person could have used.

I actually agree with this! I find Dawn French visually offensive, and about as funny as childhood leukemia...and that is why I would never, ever go to see her. It's really not a difficult concept. What is pathetic is instead of telling the outraged punter that she's an imbecile, they pandered to her. Aye, I'm assuming it's a woman.